• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

A question on a date run of Elizabeth II Fourth Head 1998 - 2015

Ukbullionfan

So I’m thinking of doing this sexy date run in the title. If someone has time would any of you be able to tell me for each coin what I should be paying no more than for each in a list. I’m seeing different prices all over the gaff. Would really help and educate me if someone can do this for me. You will also earn one ukbullionfan special bonus bonanza credit point. Collect

ten for a prize.

2 hours ago, Ukbullionfan said:

So I’m thinking of doing this sexy date run in the title. If someone has time would any of you be able to tell me for each coin what I should be paying no more than for each in a list. I’m seeing different prices all over the gaff. Would really help and educate me if someone can do this for me. You will also earn one ukbullionfan special bonus bonanza credit point. Collect

ten for a prize.

For me 1997 was the end of the Sovereign ‘golden’ era - Gillick, Machin and Maklouf. Apart from the 3 specials I can’t think of anything more boring than the obverses of I.R.B and J.C. - hardly a sexy date run! All pink and shiny apart from the Proofs.

How about a date run of 12 Maklouf Proof Sovereigns from 1985 if you can afford them? Anyway good-luck if you do try.🤡

Spot +£15-£20 (currently £370-£375) on the none special design years, some might be harder to get due to mintages and the 2000 seems to be attracting a premium as well recently for a reason I do not know

Spot +£30-£35 (currently £385-£390) on the 2002/2005/2012, the 2012 is particularly sought after at the moment and as far as I can see most, if not all, dealers ran out of stock following the clamour to get QEII coins when the Queen passed away.

Agree with @Britannia47 on the designs on these, but they are all low mintage years and are very likely to be future collectables due to that, so I think a worthy date run to do.  Not as sexy as Young Head Victoria shields or the like but they already attract a much larger premium, these will potentially be a premium in 10-20 years and very affordable now.  They are largely ignored because people do not like the colour or design but you cannot argue with low mintage numbers.  I have spares of the special year designs when you start.

1998-1999 sovs are only in proof version, no chance to find them at bullion value;

2000-2015 were both minted in bullion and proof version, therefore you can choose which path you want to follow and the amount of money you want to invest.

Some years are harder to find to find, due to low mintage and being too recent for people to change their mind and convert them in cash (it is a non sense, but i heard people that sold without problem sovereigns bought 20-30 years ago "because i paid them 80 gbp...and not willing to sell sovereign paid 300 gbp few years ago..);  generally speaking sovs you find around are from 1957 to 1982; of course 2002-2005-2012 have a different value and in my opinion are a good investment in their proof version.

good luck

Yes, I'd probably suggest looking only at the bullion issues.

If you search on the internet I think there is a sovereign mintages document that is findable with a little patience and gives you most (or perhaps even all) of the mintages for the bullion sovereigns each year.
From memory, 2007 is the lowest at less than 30,000 minted, and 2006 is also very low.

Of the special reverses (again from memory), 2012 is pretty abundant, 2002 was about 75,000 minted and 2005 was pretty low at around 45,000 minted.

I will see if I can find the document with the mintages and will list them by year if I can.