• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

What part of your stack would you sell first?

jayboat

Hello, 

Was just thinking to myself...

If silver spot shot to the moon, if i needed cash quickly, i wanted to re-invest are whatever the reason maybe. If i was selling off part are all my stack, what way would i go about it? I have an exit plan in place (swap everything for gold when ratio is 1:40) but life can throw to odd carve ball and your plans change. 

My stack consists of (never broke it down before, its interesting :)

45% - Semi numismatic (Kooks, lunars, libertads, pandas, elephants, koalas etc)

43% - Brittannia's old and new

11% - Rounds and couple bars

-1%-  Lonely gold

1. Would have to be the britannia's just for the sheer ease to selling alot at 1 time back to a dealer. 
  2. Rounds and bars would be next.
  3. Semi stuff, this would have to be sold at online market places and forums to get my premium back and hopefully a little extra. 
  4. Gold - Things would need to be SHTF for me to sell this for all i have. It would be the equivalent of licking your dinner plate.

Interested to hear your replys

Make new friends but keep the old.

One is silver and the other gold

* * * * K   e   e   p       o   n       s   t   a   c   k   i   n   g  ....my friends****

I would sell all the cgt free pm's last. they are the

easiest to sell and if you don't manage to sell them,

it doesn't matter. bullion cgt free coins can always

be used in trades/barter so are a good form of

insurance by just holding onto them. I would sell

first what is least useful.

HH

If I had to sell couse I need money, than my graded pandas go

If some kind off SHTF scenario, then the duplicate pandas have to go

After I am done collecting graded pandas, I will start stacking for a while

if silver spot goes to the moon, (anything above say £40) the whole stack will be chucked in the back of the car, driven to the dealers and offloaded. 

I'm on board with this, but I'd take £30 silver.

£25K in the bank account, deposit on another house. Happy days (if it happens) [emoji1]

Stacker since 2013

All my silver proofs from the 1970's and 80's that are only worth spot price would be first to go (no attachment at all). Then 5 and 10oz lunars which were bought with a low premium would be next with semi-numi last.

The gold would probably only go if I could get a house or some land with it!

ST

Sell what you don't want first - if you don't like Britannia's get rid of them first, then work your way through, if you are selling within the space of a year then it matters not. If you want to sell over several years and you think silver may continue to rise I would hold the CGT free coins until last, you know, just in case the price goes to Venus. :P

As far as buying gold with the proceeds, each to their own, personally if gold and silver are peaking at roughly the same time give or take a few months (as they do historically speaking) why sell one bubble asset to buy another bubble asset? There would likely be other assets on offer/undervalued in the situation that allows these PM prices to develop. 

1. I'd shift scrap coinage seeing as I would normally have got that for less than spot anyway so could likely see a decent gain.
  2. Non-CGT bars or coins like Noah's Arks 
  3. Silver Britannia's but only when demand for  government minted stuff is sky high commanding massive premiums because everybody is panicking , though at that point it'd likely be best to keep most of it.
  4. Gold starting with smaller bits or foreign coins, (I fully expect American coins to be quite desirable when they realise the dollar is toilet paper and before capital controls come in) then CGT bullion then anything with numismatic value.

It would seriously have to go and buy me something tangible though I wouldn't shift it (silver) unless it was dire circumstances like SHTF and I was actually starving, though I could always eat the cats.. ;) I also wouldn't shift (gold) for anything less than land or property either.

18 hours ago, HawkHybrid said:

I would sell all the cgt free pm's last. they are the

easiest to sell and if you don't manage to sell them,

it doesn't matter. bullion cgt free coins can always

be used in trades/barter so are a good form of

insurance by just holding onto them. I would sell

first what is least useful.

HH

That is a very valid point. It would fall on how quickly i wanted the cashing out to take. But i guess selling the brits last would be a better decision.

16 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

curious as to why you don't regard old brits as semi nums? definitely more so than libs

you would not be wise selling them to a dealer as bullion.

The bulk of my brit's are 2015 and 2016. I have 16 coins trying to complete the date run, a few extra 2001 and 2005's. And a single tube of 2011's i got from atkinsons there a few weeks back. The date run is a keeper, it is my only run. The 2011's would be sold elsewhere to max value. 

3 hours ago, KDave said:

Sell what you don't want first - if you don't like Britannia's get rid of them first, then work your way through, if you are selling within the space of a year then it matters not. If you want to sell over several years and you think silver may continue to rise I would hold the CGT free coins until last, you know, just in case the price goes to Venus. :P

As far as buying gold with the proceeds, each to their own, personally if gold and silver are peaking at roughly the same time give or take a few months (as they do historically speaking) why sell one bubble asset to buy another bubble asset? There would likely be other assets on offer/undervalued in the situation that allows these PM prices to develop. 

My goal is to swap 95% of my silver for gold when the GTS ratio is 1:40. I dont really care what the price of either silver are gold is when this happens. I am a very simple person and i will be sticking to my easy plan. The price is only important to me when i am closing in on retirement age :) Your deffo right about the CGT coins and keeping them to last. 

Make new friends but keep the old.

One is silver and the other gold

* * * * K   e   e   p       o   n       s   t   a   c   k   i   n   g  ....my friends****

58 minutes ago, vand said:

This one isnt rocket science - sell the generic stuff first, keep the premium stuff while its still maturing or until you have an offer that can't be refused. 

Gresham's law.

"the tendency for money of lower intrinsic value to circulate more freely than money of higher intrinsic and equal nominal value (often expressed as ‘Bad money drives out good’)."

The good stuff tends to hide and be horded while the less desirable stuff circulates.  If there's a big price rise I reckon that it'll be generic rounds that are sold and available second hand from dealers and the cgt free official mint stuff will not.  I got some rounds first which I love but I think they would be first to go as well in a big spike.

New profile pic to support the current thing, because it's current year.

Archived