• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gillick Sovereigns from the RM - Delivered in Rolls or bags?

dicker

Hi all but particularly @LawrenceChard who may have a definitive answer….

Can anyone confirm how Gillicks were packaged for delivery outside of the RM

- Rolls of Gillicks?

- In the standard bank bags

- Other that I don’t know about?

Thanks

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

9 minutes ago, dicker said:

Hi all but particularly @LawrenceChard who may have a definitive answer….

Can anyone confirm how Gillicks were packaged for delivery outside of the RM

- Rolls of Gillicks?

- In the standard bank bags

- Other that I don’t know about?

Thanks

Dicker

Thanks for the advance mention.

the last mint bag of sovereigns I had was...

... Actually I can't remember what year it would have been, so I don't know if it was full of Gillicks, but it was unlikely to be after 1966. so I suspect it must have been full of Machins, possibly in 1974.

My guess is that Gillicks were probably delivered as "shot" in £1,000 sacks.

I will let you know if I come across any in one of our strongrooms.

😎

Chards

I ask because I have not seen anywhere Gillicks or Bullion Sovs of the ear being supplied in paper rolls - but have heard of them being supplied in bags.

Even pennies in the 60’s seem to have been often supplied in RM tubes (example here). Unless it’s an eBay fake!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224912043182?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=bzb01hzgQ9e&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=bYgKomkjQOW&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

12 minutes ago, dicker said:

I ask because I have not seen anywhere Gillicks or Bullion Sovs of the ear being supplied in paper rolls - but have heard of them being supplied in bags.

Even pennies in the 60’s seem to have been often supplied in RM tubes (example here). Unless it’s an eBay fake!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224912043182?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=bzb01hzgQ9e&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=bYgKomkjQOW&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

The top has a dollar sign!? American tube that held ‘pennies’?

On reflection, the packaging is probably reflective of the use of the coins.

Sovs to be used as collateral / bullion abroad, rolls of coins delivered to U.K. shops.

1 minute ago, Petra said:

The top has a dollar sign!? American tube that held ‘pennies’?

It is eBay!

To my knowledge most British coins were issued in bags no? I'm happy to be corrected.

There's a great photo in the 2000 Coincraft catalogue of mint workers checking silver coins before throwing them in mint sacks, and then those mint sacks being stacked ready for delivery - the photos seem to be from the 1910-1930 era.

The only rolls in British coinage I can think of were those red cardboard coin tubes for pre-decimal coins in the 1960s - were these issued by the mint though or done by banks?

Certainly the 1971 decimal coins were shrink wrapped into plastic rolls of some kind - seen many a 1971 halfpenny roll for sale on eBay. 

I'm not sure how modern currency comes in from the mint though? All the banks I've ever used seem to favour the classic change bags - previously paper in pre-decimal/early decimal days.

6 hours ago, Foster88 said:

@dicker Svcollector sold some Gillicks on here earlier last year, possibly late 2020 which were all 1963 Gillick sovereigns and they were in a roll/paper covered like a tube.

I don’t know if that helps at all.

Very interesting - do you have a pic at all?

Thanks

Dicker

Probably find that when the restarted minting sovereigns they were put in rolls, as compared to previously the numbers were vastly different and they weren’t being shipped out in quantities to be used daily in banks etc.

• 1 month later...
On 10/08/2022 at 23:15, Foster88 said:

@dicker Svcollector sold some Gillicks on here earlier last year, possibly late 2020 which were all 1963 Gillick sovereigns and they were in a roll/paper covered like a tube.

I don’t know if that helps at all.

I had a similar roll with 1963 Gillick sixpences , it was made of brown paper in a spiral wrap all BU coins 👍