• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1837 - 1897 Victoria Diamond Jubilee Gold Medal - Young and Old Head Portraits

1837 - 1897 Victoria Diamond Jubilee Gold Medal / Medallion - Young and Old Head Portraits

These were issued in two different sizes, and also in silver and copper. This is the large, 55mm, gold version. From memory I think the copper version was only made in th large size, making 5 different variations.

1897GoldVictoriaDiamondJubileeMedallionSlabbedNGCuncdetailsrimdamagereversecloserviewcrop.thumb.jpg.20372da7dc35ef089a5359a64542c0a0.jpg

LONGITVDO DIERVM IN DEXTERA EIVS ET IN SINISTRA GLORIA 

1897GoldVictoriaDiamondJubileeMedallionSlabbedNGCuncdetailsrimdamageobversecloserviewcrop.thumb.jpg.1b29673c4f75f6dd224966382cd5fa6e.jpg

VICTORIA ANNVM REGNI SEXAGESIMVM FELICITER CLAVDIT XX IVN MDCCCXCVII

This example has a few red spots, and a slight edge knock.

I think it beats anything the Royal Mint produced in 2012 for Elizabeth II's diamond jubilee.

Any comments or input welcome!

😎

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards

17 hours ago, Bruce06 said:

Agree, and this is a lovely medallion, and much much better than most, if not all, of the recent years RM release.  I only have Bronze and small Silver version, but I still love both especially the RM paper pack for the silver.  

1897 Victoria Jubilee Medal Bronze Obverse (small).jpg

1897 Victoria Jubilee Medal Bronze Reverse (small).jpg

UK 1897 Victoria Jubilee Medal Silver Small Obverse (small).jpg

UK 1897 Victoria Jubilee Medal Silver Small Reverse (small).jpg

UK 1897 Victoria Jubilee Medal Silver Small RM Paper Pack (small).jpg

Very nice!

We almost have a full set between us.

I think the base metal one is copper rather than bronze, but I have not checked, and may be wrong.

😎

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards

It's all down to decent relief. Modern copies of old coins (see the current RM Tudor series) always fail to capture the original look of a piece because they are struck in lower relief. As such detailing is made by adding extra lines instead of extra depth and you can tell.

10 hours ago, SidS said:

It's all down to decent relief. Modern copies of old coins (see the current RM Tudor series) always fail to capture the original look of a piece because they are struck in lower relief. As such detailing is made by adding extra lines instead of extra depth and you can tell.

200% agree.