• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

A Really Obvious Fake 1914 London Mint Gold Sovereign

A Really Obvious Fake 1914 London Mint Gold Sovereign

I see a lot of fake sovereigns, but this one is a particularly bad example, although in a way that makes it a good starting point for those who want to be able to tell the difference.

1914GeorgeVReplicaReverseCrop.thumb.jpg.8aa8af8520f208270f9c7cf5165a7d6a.jpg

Rather than me list what is wrong with it, it might be easier to invite everyone to spot anything that is right with it.

1914GeorgeVReplicaObverseCrop.thumb.jpg.68a23d788568709d3f75ade682167dff.jpg

From the photos, I might expect it to be underweight, and made of brass, but:

GeorgeVReplicaInfoSheet.thumb.jpg.ac4a812ba495b65c97c480e46cd930c3.jpg

The weight is to high at 8.0304 grams compared with 7.98805 grams specification.

The gold content is not as low as I would have expected.

The cadmium content is very unusual.

😎

Chards

What is the point?

There is a goodly amount of gold in the object, i dare not say coin, so why make a replica which is as god awful bad as that?
It has an interest value - it even has a collector value as there will be those who collect fake sovereigns but i doubt this specimen was made for that market. It was probably made to pay for something on a dark night or amongst a lot more coins. 

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

3 hours ago, sixgun said:

What is the point?

There is a goodly amount of gold in the object, i dare not say coin, so why make a replica which is as god awful bad as that?
It has an interest value - it even has a collector value as there will be those who collect fake sovereigns but i doubt this specimen was made for that market. It was probably made to pay for something on a dark night or amongst a lot more coins. 

Probably to go into a piece of jewellery.

😎

Chards

A quick Google shows that late Victorian jewellery could be made from green gold, using cadmium and silver.  I wonder if a naughty apprentice thought he could make a few bob melting down old scrap jewellery and casting a coin instead, and probably shortening his life-span due to toxic fumes during the melting phase.