• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2020 Gold Proof Double Sovereign George III Counterstamp from St Helena by The East India Company

Thanks for posting this on the forum. 

As someone who likes older UK circulating silver coins and also 21st century UK precious metal coins - personally this kind of coin represents the worst of both worlds.  It holds very little appeal to me.  But I appreciate that others might find it much more appealing to them 🙂

If nothing else, it's interesting...

1 hour ago, Britannia47 said:

'An attractive coin'.....Hmmmmm!  Why not have a beauty (Ugly!) contest between Charles 111 and George 111 ?! 😂

IMG_2874 (2).JPG

The famous "Bull Head portrait by master engraver Benedetto Pistrucci!

It certainly is striking and memorable. I assume it was also lifelike and realistic.

Interesting "7" in the date, and also small die crack near the "T in BRITT.

Chards

1 hour ago, LawrenceChard said:

The famous "Bull Head portrait by master engraver Benedetto Pistrucci!

It certainly is striking and memorable. I assume it was also lifelike and realistic.

Interesting "7" in the date, and also small die crack near the "T in BRITT.

I'm sure I read somewhere that Pistrucci was not allowed a life sitting with George 111, who since 1810 was living in cloud-cuckoo land, under the supervision of the Prince Regent. His 1816 cameos were criticised as being 'unflattering' Oh really! How can you make a silk purse out of a pigs ear!? However his 1817 sovereign obverse, and 1818 silver coinage seem less severe to me. I guess the bulbous eye look and thick neck was the reality? Of course in 1837 William Wyon had a live sitting with Victoria (age 18) for the 'Young Head' - she liked it, probably why it lasted for 50 years!......

The image is from an 1817 sixpence. Ta for your observations🙂

Regarding the George III obverses from the period of the Great Recoinage, here's a photo I took in 2017 at the Royal Mint Experience tour.  These are the original Pistrucci engravings in Jasper.

Personally I think the true 'Bull Head' is the 1816-17 Half Crown design - the biggest of those shown in the photo.

Pistrucci George III Heads in Jasper.JPG