• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold pandas - should I get them graded?

I agree with all the opinions from other TSF members.

1. Don't grade them - losing money.

2. Keep them in original seal - more attractive when you want to sell.

3. Are not very popular on forum - not because are not loved, because their premium is higher than other coins with similar size.

4. Are selling very quick priced well - there are many people who are collecting them.

I will add another advice, only if you want to have more in your collection: buy a decent coin album to keep them long term sealed in impeccable condition.

Have here an example:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Coin-album-for-48-Big-Coin-5-Crown-and-other-Storage-Book-Holder-Folder/274427951224?hash=item3fe52e3878:g:RXsAAOSwjgFe~P~J&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAA4E0cO5HF3Jvxd3xAogEm0+rtNDC5IqQkZ7DTpZyhbtcBkAEpN8IpSuYpOgljuDeHUy8/Dgpx8BYEPMBKhbY2z+BaxJRRWztSbBoE7lHKNL6oOeyQJXxynuqg5kJ9g43A5zQwrXt6HusWzbxHTB+FQjRU/D1x1tTfNhzY1sZVHAP/V4AzV+oz5hwm/Zm+G0fSUfCosl4arIejSydeRULD305ZJtF96PuIjKKkdJMs/H4vnzDE8lGQxHNasMxqfOim93R+0KvdfH2bVmbKru9nfNJvMv9saDAr2DiqZ0boPejT|tkp:BFBMlJHhoaFg&pageci=c4046ba0-b2dc-4ad6-bf02-a54b6bd90a9a&redirect=mobile

It's only worth for early years until 2000 to grade Pandas, or chinese coins in general. After 2000, especially after 2010, the mintages are crazy high and you will mainly loose money, if your coins doesn't achieve a 70. Even with a 70 it's not sure, that you'll see your money back. Propably you will sell a graded Panda easier, but usual for the same money, than a raw one, cause people are more sure not to buy counterfeits. 

Grading/encapsulating is no guarantee of additional value but it’s not solely the only reason for why someone would want the coins graded.

Sometimes it’s nice to have them slabbed  in a date run, and is nice way to store them in the NGC slab boxes as they present nicely. Bet some on here have spent more than grading cost on nice coin trays or other display or storage solutions.

It’s great to get everyone’s opinions, you need to understand why you want them grading, if it’s purely for added value you need to do your homework, how much is the coin now, how much is the grading, how much is a 70, and also they always don’t come back as a 70.

Some people don’t like grading and it’s each to their own. 

Thanks guys.

I bought the pandas to one day flip.

I knew when buying that Pandas are not the best flip option, but wanted something I would also enjoy owning.

Like I said its good to know that they will always sell here for a better price than to dealers.

Based on what they would sell here for today, overall I could get around 50% more than I paid, so am very happy with my investment.

And I have enjoyed owning them.

Thanks again for all the advice.

On 31/05/2022 at 15:01, Britannia47 said:

I bought this 5 coin 1994 set many years ago, entombed in a strip of plastic, and immediately released the prisoners into a new home lined with royal purple velvet!

At the time I knew nothing about grading, and certainly as a collector, never gave a second thought to how much money I would make by leaving them in plastic for a future sale. Opening up the lid for me was the enjoyment. I was intrigued by the itsy-bitsy  1/20th oz - the smallest coin I have. In 2011 I visited the Chengdu Panda breeding centre in China to see how live pandas were kept. For 100 yuan you could sit a panda on your lap, but had to wear a mask and apron for their protection, rather like caring for a proof coin!  I've added the 2009 Silver 1oz Panda just for comparison, which completes my whole Panda collection....

I enjoyed your post. I love the fact you bought the coins, then did as you wanted with them. You obviously enjoy owning them.

I must admit I have been tempted to pop a few of mine out of the plastic, but luckily have so far managed to resist.

I am a sucker for the itsy-bitsy 1g coins. I like to own more smaller pieces than fewer larger pieces.

I wanted to put some £ into gold and invested in Pandas because I like them. If gold went down after buying, I figured I would prefer to be stuck with Pandas than bars or plain old sovereigns.

The problem is, I like them to much and am reluctant to part with them now.

You have a lovely little set there, surely as a set they must have a good premium over spot, even out of the plastic.

2 minutes ago, LittleMan said:

I enjoyed your post. I love the fact you bought the coins, then did as you wanted with them. You obviously enjoy owning them.

I must admit I have been tempted to pop a few of mine out of the plastic, but luckily have so far managed to resist.

I am a sucker for the itsy-bitsy 1g coins. I like to own more smaller pieces than fewer larger pieces.

I wanted to put some £ into gold and invested in Pandas because I like them. If gold went down after buying, I figured I would prefer to be stuck with Pandas than bars or plain old sovereigns.

The problem is, I like them to much and am reluctant to part with them now.

You have a lovely little set there, surely as a set they must have a good premium over spot, even out of the plastic.

How much for your 8g? 😂

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

1 hour ago, LittleMan said:

I would swap it for 8 x 1g pandas 😉

Apologies. I can see now how popular and collectible the smaller gold coins are. The 1/20th Panda is about 1.55g. I’d almost forgotten the Pandas went metric 6 years ago and were minting 1g coins so good luck to you….