• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold Hallmark Identification - Ring (Letter Missing)

Jakc

Hi All,

got my eyes on a 9 carat gold ring (1.7 grams) for £350. Seller says it's around 1890-1910.

The seller states the letter is missing. Wanted a more informed opinion since I'm a newbie.

Is such a price fair? There's also a stone mounted on top, so not sure the real gold weight.

He refused any lower offers but I feel is on the high price side...

Thanks!

992416309_Screenshot2022-05-17at18_21_54.png.c265964aae6f5143061690033a76747a.png

Edited by Jakc

Has a scrap value of £22.40 if only 1.7grams of 9ct gold and seems well worn ( judging by inside of ring) so unless it's a big brand or the stone is a valuable one?? Then with the limited information, I'd say no.

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

Just now, James32 said:

Honestly I'd say £150 at most ( assuming overheads/shopfront etc) and even then I'm trying to be generous. 

Including the stone,its only 1.7 grams? It must be paper thin gold.

Just now, James32 said:

Including the stone,its only 1.7 grams? It must be paper thin gold.

I tried to offer 295 while ago but he refused, saying the lowest was 315...

As you advised I am not gonna pay that much if is not worth. Details as listed:

Dimensions: Seal 10 x 9 mm

Weight: 1.7g

Ring size: 5.5 US / K 1/2 UK

Just now, Jakc said:

Yeah stay clear unless worn previously by the pope😆

4 minutes ago, Jakc said:

This made me curious...my wedding band is 5 grams and even that feels light ( although wearing it weighs on me everyday) 🤣

2 minutes ago, SilverDrum said:

Thanks, that's a very good price! Still, I love the fact to have a piece with a lot of history behind. 

This is the only reason why I'm scouting for vintage/antique ones - if the asked price is fair tho!

2 minutes ago, Mtaybar said:

It does come across very light. Including the stone? 

Not sure, is not specified but I guess no one would go that far taking the stone out of an antique ring just to weight it?

12 minutes ago, Jakc said:

Thanks, that's a very good price! Still, I love the fact to have a piece with a lot of history behind. 

This is the only reason why I'm scouting for vintage/antique ones - if the asked price is fair tho!

Indeed the history would be cool. Thought a comparable for the money was good.

Certainly don't rush into buying anything, enjoy the process of learning, and you will find what you are hunting :) 

78av.gif

To have an idea about pre-owned 9ct gold rings, I will give you an example of a realistic price on Cashconverters.

A ring 9ct gold, fully hallmarked, opal stone, size J, 1.9g: £49.99

https://www.cashconverters.co.uk/shop/jewellery--fashion/jewellery/rings/ring/049000135654.

Or how should be a more expensive one, still way cheaper than your example:

A big 9ct gold, size L, Moonstone, 12.9g, £275.

https://www.cashconverters.co.uk/shop/jewellery--fashion/jewellery/rings/ring/016300247626

Edited by stefffana

If you want a ring for circa £500, going to someone like Glamira is a good place, as you can literally customise any kind of ring you want in a variety of metals/stone - the problem is often having to sift through the limitless options to find some designs you like and go from there.

https://www.glamira.co.uk/

Why £500? Because they tend to have rolling offers on purchases of £500 or more. Seems like the current thing is 15% off gemstone rings, which seems to be sort of what you have above.