• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Stack 2022 Sovereigns Or Low Premium Sovereigns?

shaunm

Evening Guys,

I'm new to gold and thought that stacking a couple of 2022 gold sovereigns may be worth it due to the Jubilee design. I Googled for threads on the forum about this and saw some people say that they were planning to do the same too so I went off and checked the current list prices for second hand gold sovereigns from Chards for the other Jubilee years and the image below is what I found.

The 2011 St George sovereign is listed for more than the 2012 jubilee design and both the 2003 and 2001 regular St George sovereigns are listed for more than the 2002 jubilee designs. I know that stocking levels for the specific years will come into play for list prices but does anyone know of any specific unique thing about the those years that could put their list price the unique design years?

I am leaning more towards just adding more to my low premium sovereign stack now as I prefer the color of the older sovereigns anyway and they have a lower premium.

spacer.png

19 minutes ago, shaunm said:

I am leaning more towards just adding more to my low premium sovereign stack now as I prefer the color of the older sovereigns anyway and they have a lower premium.

I agree with this point, although I did buy one of the brand new 2022 sovereigns as I really like the design and wanted to keep it in good condition.  So if you are looking to buy two sovereigns, maybe get one 2022, and one for as inexpensive as possible.

And welcome to the forum!

5 minutes ago, Lr103 said:

I agree with this point, although I did buy one of the brand new 2022 sovereigns as I really like the design and wanted to keep it in good condition.  So if you are looking to buy two sovereigns, maybe get one 2022, and one for as inexpensive as possible.

And welcome to the forum!

Cheers, yea I will probably pick one up as I want one for each year that I stack them but other than the one year of issue I will probably just go for low premium sovereigns for the rest of my stack.

58 minutes ago, shaunm said:

Evening Guys,

I'm new to gold and thought that stacking a couple of 2022 gold sovereigns may be worth it due to the Jubilee design. I Googled for threads on the forum about this and saw some people say that they were planning to do the same too so I went off and checked the current list prices for second hand gold sovereigns from Chards for the other Jubilee years and the image below is what I found.

The 2011 St George sovereign is listed for more than the 2012 jubilee design and both the 2003 and 2001 regular St George sovereigns are listed for more than the 2002 jubilee designs. I know that stocking levels for the specific years will come into play for list prices but does anyone know of any specific unique thing about the those years that could put their list price the unique design years?

If you add a 3rd column to that table 'mintages' I think you might find the lower mintages on some of the years you mentioned being more expensive than the 2002 for eg.
I looked into this not too long ago, 2002 I think was about 75k from memory and the 2001 and 2003 below 50k then around 2010 mintages were up above 200k for at least a few years 

16 hours ago, modofantasma said:

If you add a 3rd column to that table 'mintages' I think you might find the lower mintages on some of the years you mentioned being more expensive than the 2002 for eg.
I looked into this not too long ago, 2002 I think was about 75k from memory and the 2001 and 2003 below 50k then around 2010 mintages were up above 200k for at least a few years 

6 hours ago, TeaTime said:

Yep, it's all about the mintages. Buying a new sovereign is basically taking a punt on how many will be sold in that year. I think the 2022 will have a high mintage but have bought a couple anyway because i like the design.

Cheers guys, looks like yous hit the nail on the head when I looked into the mintages of the other years.

I'm guessing that The Royal Mint will only release the mintage numbers of the bullion grade 2022 sovereign once the year is completed and they don't do a fixed number no matter what?