• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

NGC. How to get coins encased?

Hi just wanted to ask what the procedure is to send coins away to get them encased. 

How do you send away a coin I found (Gothic Crown 1847) valued at potentially £5 for example to get put in a case? What proof of value would Royal Mail require to prove value if lost, albeit very unlikely? 

Does SD post go that high?

What does it cost for a coin to undergo NGC capsule ? I saw a form to complete once (which seemed quite complicated).

I assume NGC would also confirm if real or not. I expect it is real based on provenance though not keen to pay out on coin until encapsulated. 

Many thanks. 

Coins for auction are same as other auction items, valued low to draw interest. Obviously you know that the coin mentioned is not worth £5. Latest one for sale today started at £20 and last time I looked was at £5000 and rising. What a coin you post is what you paid for it and you have proof. If you don’t declare that price when posting, then you will not get very far if you need to claim.

I believe RMSD T&C's are fully insured to the amount you specify, up to a maximum that I can't remember, perhaps £5000. But they will pay out on the basis of a) the price you paid for it, b) the amount you are selling it for, or c) the market value, - whichever is LOWER ! . - So if you pay £100 for a coin you sell for £200, they will only insure you to £100 according to T&C. There is also an additional option of "consequential losses"  which I believe would cover you for the highest actual loss, although I haven't used it and not certain of the terms.

Grading would be much cheaper through an NGC or PCGS authorised dealer, especially for just one coin. It is most cost effective to submit multiple coins. That way you can spread the postage cost, and in some cases submission form fee across the number of coins you submit. I would recommend @CoinsOfTheRealmAuctions 

13 hours ago, SilverJacks said:

I believe RMSD T&C's are fully insured to the amount you specify, up to a maximum that I can't remember, perhaps £5000. But they will pay out on the basis of a) the price you paid for it, b) the amount you are selling it for, or c) the market value, - whichever is LOWER ! . - So if you pay £100 for a coin you sell for £200, they will only insure you to £100 according to T&C. There is also an additional option of "consequential losses"  which I believe would cover you for the highest actual loss, although I haven't used it and not certain of the terms.

Grading would be much cheaper through an NGC or PCGS authorised dealer, especially for just one coin. It is most cost effective to submit multiple coins. That way you can spread the postage cost, and in some cases submission form fee across the number of coins you submit. I would recommend @CoinsOfTheRealmAuctions 

Definitely recommend Coins of The Realm.

@Silverman2U Royal Mail will only insure up to £2500, however in 20 years I have NEVER lost a parcel that wasn't my own fault (wrong address). The process of grading takes around 8-12 weeks and is charged at the tier level depending on what THEY value the coin at. We put a valuation onto the sheet but they can go up a tier, and do if they think we are trying to get away with a lower price. The fee's we charge are listed here on the forum - but if you have trouble finding do use this link and press the grading button. The only extra charge is Single Submission (if only sending one item) we have to charge £15 as we are charged this by NGC London for each form we use. You are also welcome to give me a call on our free phone if you wish to ask any more questions. Best regards Louise

https://coinsoftherealm.com/