• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sovereign mintages

MJCOIN

My first reference point is "The Gold Sovereign" by Marsh. If I don't have it to hand then my next reference is here, though it's not complete:

https://onlinecoin.club/Coins/Country/United_Kingdom/

The Numista website can be useful too, but I don't find it simple to navigate:

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/royaume-uni-1.html

I found a very good document online a few years ago (attached) that had the mintages of all bullion sovereigns (just the sovereign - not the quarters, halves, doubles or quintuples) from 1817 up to and including 2015 - both for the London mint and each of the Branch mints.  And the proof sovereigns from 1979 to 2013 inclusive.

But nothing appears to have been published since then, and the RM are currently not choosing to release mintage figures for recent PM bullion coins of any description (where the maximum mintage was not already explicitly stated), citing commercial sensitivity.

Most of us disagree with their reasoning, but unfortunately it seems to be our problem rather than theirs.  Perhaps one day this will change.

Sovereign mintage figures.docx

1 hour ago, Stuntman said:

I found a very good document online a few years ago (attached) that had the mintages of all bullion sovereigns (just the sovereign - not the quarters, halves, doubles or quintuples) from 1817 up to and including 2015 - both for the London mint and each of the Branch mints.  And the proof sovereigns from 1979 to 2013 inclusive.

But nothing appears to have been published since then, and the RM are currently not choosing to release mintage figures for recent PM bullion coins of any description (where the maximum mintage was not already explicitly stated), citing commercial sensitivity.

Most of us disagree with their reasoning, but unfortunately it seems to be our problem rather than theirs.  Perhaps one day this will change.

Sovereign mintage figures.docx 25.98 kB · 4 downloads

Thanks n very detailed data, i saved in my PC.  The mintage is a national security figure, so RM can't publish😅.  More importantly, not to disclose which means save their works on counting number of sales as well as number of returns, as they are already super busy on handling replacement every day, haha😅.

3 hours ago, Bruce06 said:

Thanks n very detailed data, i saved in my PC.  The mintage is a national security figure, so RM can't publish😅.  More importantly, not to disclose which means save their works on counting number of sales as well as number of returns, as they are already super busy on handling replacement every day, haha😅.

Easy, If anyone knows a London political journo, just ask them(next time they attend a Boris J press conferance) "Mr Johnson, can you answer one of the following two questions for me...1) What is the total mintage of gold sovereigns for all types, sizes and by year or 2) how many secret parties did you host for the Tories when we were all in lockdown?"...One or other question thanks.

Boris: "I'll have the information on the gold sov's to you by close of the business today".