• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Guessing the weight!!!

theman73

20 minutes ago, MintageSeller said:

5.5kg

Hi

This is the description

"tray containing a large quantity of pre decimal silver and copper coinage, crowns"

Can be .500 silver?

I ask because I'm new on this and I don't want to buy scrap.

Regards

Edited by theman73

More silver coins on my website

dancu.co.uk

'Pre-decimal' probably means 1947-1970. I think the term 'silver' is being used to describe the colour of cupronickel coins rather than the metal - quite common (and annoying) when used to upsell a load of tat.

I've found this out the hard way before when stuff has been advertised as silver. Technically it's not a lie because they are silver coloured. 🤨

1 hour ago, theman73 said:

Hi

This is the description

"tray containing a large quantity of pre decimal silver and copper coinage, crowns"

Can be .500 silver?

I ask because I'm new on this and I don't want to buy scrap.

Regards

If it's a standard auction lot, they will usually state if there is any real silver in there.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

55 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

If it's a standard auction lot, they will usually state if there is any real silver in there.

That's all what they write:

nothing else, so I'm really confused what they are

Regards

Constantin

dancu.co.uk

1 minute ago, theman73 said:

Regards

Constantin

With such a description, I would leave it alone. Better safe than sorry. 

11 minutes ago, theman73 said:

Regards

Constantin

Only other way is to contact them and ask, that or try and blow the photo up to see if you can see any pre 47 coin designs

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

What context is this? As previously stated, auction sites are clear as to if silver or not and give a weight. If from eBay, by the description, then there are probably no silver content. Just ask.

The photo is just out of focus enough to stop you identifying the individual coins. They look to me to be sixpences, shillings and florins of the cupronickel variety... It is also common in the UK to refer to all white metal coins as 'silver' and all darker metal (or plated) coins as 'copper' - a throw-back to when silver and copper were the main metals used.

The lack of description and the poor photograph is a red flag to me. Designed to appeal to the greedy little bugger  bargain hunter inside all of us 😁 

28 minutes ago, TeaTime said:

The photo is just out of focus enough to stop you identifying the individual coins. They look to me to be sixpences, shillings and florins of the cupronickel variety... It is also common in the UK to refer to all white metal coins as 'silver' and all darker metal (or plated) coins as 'copper' - a throw-back to when silver and copper were the main metals used.

The lack of description and the poor photograph is a red flag to me. Designed to appeal to the greedy little bugger  bargain hunter inside all of us 😁 

You are right

Thank you

I wait to see what they answer ...

dancu.co.uk

On 31/12/2021 at 08:13, theman73 said:

You are right

Thank you

I wait to see what they answer ...

They finally answer:

"Hello,

This collection of coins does not, in fact, appear to contain any silver examples. They all appear to be post 1947. I have amended the description to avoid any confusion. "

Thanks God I ask you about.

Regards

dancu.co.uk