• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold as gifts

darkninja1985

7 hours ago, Happypanda88 said:

Of course !  It might be a little foreign in the western culture.  But in other cultures like Indian and Chinese, it is common to give gold as gifts especially for weddings and special anniversaries. Not being snobbish but I think 1g of gold may not go down too well !  😊

I've always heard about giving of gold in the Indian culture but yeah 1g bar at a wedding may be a little cheeky 😉

I don't want to sound negative.

But I would never give a 1 gram bar as a present, certainly not to somebody who is not yet common in the PM's world and also certainly not to somebody who is already active in the PM hobby.

So why not ?

In the first scenario, a person who is not yet in the PM hobby. A 1gr. bar is so small it looks like you are giving nothing. It also has no appeal and I think that a person will start stacking or collecting because of a 1gr bar is almost zero. And when the person will sell it, it will see what he/ she gets for it and not the massive premium you paid for it because the chance is also almost zero that he/ she will sell it second hand but rather go to the first shop they find and sell it for a bad price.

I would rather give a coin, yes a golden coin is much more expensive but if the price is too high, I would give one or more silver coins. They also have value but much more appeal and a bigger chance that the beauty of the coin will get the person interested in PM's.

The second scenario. You just pay too much premium on such a bar.

Just my opinion.

My girlfriend is from a culture that values gold, and while she is confused about me stacking coins, she is into gold jewelry, chains and bracelets mostly.

She is getting a budget for Christmas and Birthdays rather than the jewelry itself as she is convinced I don't know the first thing about real gold and she needs to get it herself 😅

2 hours ago, KevinFlynn said:

My girlfriend is from a culture that values gold, and while she is confused about me stacking coins, she is into gold jewelry, chains and bracelets mostly.

She is getting a budget for Christmas and Birthdays rather than the jewelry itself as she is convinced I don't know the first thing about real gold and she needs to get it herself 😅

All my girlfriends get pearl necklaces and they dont cost me penny and they can have unlimted amount of them. They can shove off if they want any gold and silver from me though - its all mine mwhahahahh!

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

5 minutes ago, Bigmarc said:

That's what I am laughing at? We are both on here 24hrs of a day and collect coins. 

Do you mind?  I have 3 girlfriends at the moment - all are very happy with me! 

They all come with puncture repair kits, and I have to be careful that I dont blow them up too hard or they turn into men. They are very quiet , no bother, always put out and for sale for £129.99 in all well known adult emporiums! 

Edited by HerefordBullyun

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

On 27/11/2021 at 18:41, Fadeingstar said:

I gave my family a 1oz silver coin each last year. Which was a mistake as now my mum has the bug and I am buying and selling stuff on her behalf left and right.

For my niece I have started a collection of gold sovereigns that she will get when she turns 21. She is almost 3 atm so wonder what the gold price will be in almost 2 decades!

I’ve done similar and made no secret of it on here. My kids had a unfinished date run, their grandfather was responsible for starting this interest, I’ve just finished it off.

Both mine will get 21st birthday gifts. I’m also constantly trying to find other ideas to capture their imagination. I’m sort of doing a bit of inheritance planning and having fun myself as a casual hobby. Hopefully they will get emergency nest eggs. Ideally, they will squirrel it for asset diversification but if they choose to pay off a mortgage or some sort of fun so be it.

• 9 months later...

Yes, people give gold as a gift, but it is quite an expensive gift. I wouldn't like to receive gold. This very much depends on the person's preferences. Rather than receiving gold, I would rather receive money, LOL. I prefer more modest gifts. I wouldn't say I like it when people spend too much money on gifts. For me, the gesture is more important than the gift itself. I prefer gift baskets because they seem to me the most modest and special gifts. It is not expensive, but it includes many beautiful and interesting things. That seems to me much more special than gold.

Edited by kristinacinema