• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1930, 33, 35, 66 Silver coins

Agaumac

I’m looking for some advice on older silver coins and hope you’re able to assist. I have been stacking modern 9999 bullion only and know nothing of anything pre 2014 when I started.

I would like to get my parents something memorable from their birth years 1930 and 1933 or maybe 1956 for their wedding and seek assistance as to what you may think would be a suitable gift. Will definitely post in the wanted section after your thoughts and looking to spend £200 - £300.

Oh, yes my wife would like 1935 in memory of her father and a 1966 sixpence too. 

Looking forward to your suggestions 

Mac

7 minutes ago, Liam84 said:

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces2754.html

Numista value guides are generally very out of date but the info is always useful

Thanks Liam, half crowns look good value. Excuse my lack of knowledge but can you advise the difference on wreath crowns. Looking to get something nice for parents and can possibly stretch budget

They were the full crowns (28.28g) that featured the "Christmas" wreath. Very low mintage across the entire release period and sought after, usually a couple of hundred quid and up. 

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces8475.html

For 1935 have a look at the George V "Rocking Horse" crown. Easily available at good prices for a nice condition coin.

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces10337.html

All of this period was .500 (50%) silver. UK currency was debased in 1920 onward (from .925 'sterling' silver). The last silver currency was issued in 1946.

Not a big deal from a collecting/keepsake point of view, but worth remembering when buying from this period.

1 minute ago, Liam84 said:

They were the full crowns (28.28g) that featured the "Christmas" wreath. Very low mintage across the entire release period and sought after, usually a couple of hundred quid and up. 

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces8475.html

For 1935 have a look at the George V "Rocking Horse" crown. Easily available at good prices for a nice condition coin.

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces10337.html

Yeah, had a wee gander on ebay and was a bit perplexed by the prices. Thanks for your subsequent input. George V looks more promising, appreciate your help in my new minefield 

3 minutes ago, Liam84 said:

Top idea asking in the trade section when you're ready, loads of members collect old UK currency and you can get a ton of photos via DM before you commit to anything. eBay is okay for this sort of thing but can be all over the place with pricing at times.

I prefer TSF, thanks for your advice

It is a nice idea to have Wreath Crown of 1930 or 1933, but it won't go cheap due to its limited mintage. Maybe cost over £120-150 for a not bad grade, and easily over £200 for a good EF.  Also, please be aware of counterfeit of these Wreath Crown, ebay is the place to stay away unless you are familiar n confident with that coin dealer/seller.

Like you, i am also looking for present for my family as well, and i am waiting for a Maundy set.  However, maundy set of a particular year is sometimes difficult to find, need to take a long time to do so, and don't know if you can find it.

6 minutes ago, Bruce06 said:

It is a nice idea to have Wreath Crown of 1930 or 1933, but it won't go cheap due to its limited mintage. Maybe cost over £120-150 for a not bad grade, and easily over £200 for a good EF.  Also, please be aware of counterfeit of these Wreath Crown, ebay is the place to stay away unless you are familiar n confident with that coin dealer/seller.

Like you, i am also looking for present for my family as well, and i am waiting for a Maundy set.  However, maundy set of a particular year is sometimes difficult to find, need to take a long time to do so, and don't know if you can find it.

Thanks Bruce, that’s what I love about TSF, @Liam84 advised the same. Personally not a fan of eBay and got scammed on PayPal back in the day so will never use again. Maybe go for it anyway, parents may not last forever and a 30 or 33 may be my keepsake. 56 coin may be a good one to go for, they’re now 65 years married, thanks for your input, appreciate it

• 2 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, Bruce06 said:

Sorting my coins during the weekend, and took a picture of 1933 Halfcrown and Wreath Crown in my collection.  Same opinion as Liam, halfcrown is a  good looking piece.

UK 1933 Halfcrown Obverse (small).jpg

UK 1933 Halfcrown Reverse (small).jpg

UK 1933 Crown Obverse (small).jpg

UK 1933 Crown Reverse (small_.jpg

Thanks for sharing, really looking forward to having in hand experience soon

I agree about halfcrowns being a good size and nice to collect too.

Unfortunately for @Agaumac, 1930 halfcrowns are quite scarce but they are still cheaper than 1930 crowns grade-for-grade unless you want a 1930 halfcrown in very high grade (GEF or better).

@Bruce06 - given that you are into predecimal coins and if you are looking for a George V Maundy set, the obvious year to go for would be 1933, so you can truthfully say that you own a genuine 1933 UK penny 😉

(I may have made this very purchase myself...)

And gratuitous pic of my 1930 halfcrown.   Not as good as my 1930 crown but still a nice coin.

O Halfcrown 1930.jpg

5 hours ago, Stuntman said:

I agree about halfcrowns being a good size and nice to collect too.

Unfortunately for @Agaumac, 1930 halfcrowns are quite scarce but they are still cheaper than 1930 crowns grade-for-grade unless you want a 1930 halfcrown in very high grade (GEF or better).

@Bruce06 - given that you are into predecimal coins and if you are looking for a George V Maundy set, the obvious year to go for would be 1933, so you can truthfully say that you own a genuine 1933 UK penny 😉

(I may have made this very purchase myself...)

And gratuitous pic of my 1930 halfcrown.   Not as good as my 1930 crown but still a nice coin.

O Halfcrown 1930.jpg

The 1930 halfcrown is lovely, i am still looking for one.  Your 1933 penny solution is not bad, and as u said, i can claim i have a genuine 33 penny😆

Thanks for sharing 👍

Edited by Bruce06

• 4 months later...

A big thank you to all contributors on this thread on assisting me in my personal quest for these date crowns. Todays addition of the 1933 Wreath now completes the start of my journey which started last October but I fear may continue ad infinitum 

17069A84-3FBB-4A2A-ADFD-9A90EDA9BA4A.jpeg

8CE7436A-5D2E-44E7-8E92-FA6DCBE90D34.jpeg

Edited by Agaumac