• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

EBay uk counterfeit testing lab

EBay is opening a testing lab in the UK

Any wristwatch selling for more than £2000 MUST be sent to be verified genuine, then sent on to the customer

seems the likes of Rolex and Patek Philippes have been bending their ear!

if only the Royal mint,  etc would kick up a fuss too.

Maybe @ChardsCoinandBullionDealer or others with expertise would like a lucrative job acting as inspectors for them

i would prefer the bar to be lowered a little to encompass sovereigns maybe?  

or is it too much to expect ebay to clean its act up?

That makes sense if fleabay wants to get any credability that should be done. i hope they start doing it with PMs

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

A move in the right direction, it's about time eBay took responsibility for the items sold on its site. Let's hope it's a success and they expand the testing to other counterfeited goods. I sell legitimate computer software on eBay and my market competition makeup is about 90% counterfeit and 10% genuine.

I wonder how much their hands are being forced behind the scenes. It almost seems to me like the sort of token effort made to try to placate someone or some company/organisation. I think its a step in the right direction but clearly as I'm calling it a token effort I feel it doesn't go far enough.

I do think it was only a matter of time before they were forced to do something. The reality is that they are profiting off the counterfiet trade.

15 hours ago, greendragon said:

EBay is opening a testing lab in the UK

Any wristwatch selling for more than £2000 MUST be sent to be verified genuine, then sent on to the customer

seems the likes of Rolex and Patek Philippes have been bending their ear!

if only the Royal mint,  etc would kick up a fuss too.

Maybe @ChardsCoinandBullionDealer or others with expertise would like a lucrative job acting as inspectors for them

i would prefer the bar to be lowered a little to encompass sovereigns maybe?  

or is it too much to expect ebay to clean its act up?

Rolex, and presumably Patek Philippe, are know to spend a lot of money on brand protection, and IP rights protection.

I think ebay would need to be pushed very hard to make it clean up its act, however if it did require authentication, then it would probably use one of the grading companies. It does have some commercial arrangements with them already. Although I do not make a point of keeping track of ebay, I think only the two big US companies' (PCGS and NGC) slabs are accepted in US listings. 

It is possible that, as a US company, it is more willing to listen to US opinion and American law.

Thanks @greendragon for the mention and compliment, though. We would probably struggle to find enough (human) resources to fufil the role.

Also, as I dislike much of what ebay does, they would have to offer considerable inducement. It is unlikely to happen.

Chards