• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

New Collector/Stacker help guide help with NGC online submisison please

Hi all, I've been avoiding to grade myself because i'm worried i will fill the form wrong - but i see a lot of people do it here as you can track the submission in your own account. I've already paid for an account a while back so thought I'd give it a go! Plus the London office is 15 min walk from me. :)

I had a go at online form but already got stuck - so was wondering if any self submitters can help me, sure it's jsut a lot of stupid questions... But i have to ask as i have no idea! Forgive me please.

1. What do i put in "Label Name" field in screenshot below?
  2. Do I have to have "Internet Imagine"? i.e. if i do not there will no photo on the search?
  3. I guess the "Per Coin Value" field has to be lower than the tier insurance you select from here https://www.ngccoin.uk/submit/services-fees/ngc/? E.g. for Modern, no more than £1500? And how should I value, for example, for an "2021 1z Silver Proof Queens Beasts Griffin", shall i put the market value or retail value? Shall i be bullish or conservative?
  4. Shall I put the coin description somewhere so I/they can tell what coins i have in the pack when i send it?

image.thumb.png.4b7483878ed2447de48cc9cd25942b3f.png

For PDF ones - e.g. with NCS. I'm also confused a out a few fields:

Which shipping method would you all advise to the UK? and insurence limit i guess depends on coins in the form?

Whats "grading tier" re Exoress etc.? Guess it jsut makes it super fast?

image.thumb.png.f6795d108f1ad4735f49f97774187218.png

Thank you, anyone who may be know the answers, in advanced!

• Founder & Administrator

@Touvex I’ve removed your screenshot from the above post as it appeared to show your name and address, this was for your security. Please feel free to re-add the image without your personal details :) 

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

4 minutes ago, ChrisSilver said:

@Touvex I’ve removed your screenshot from the above post as it appeared to show your name and address, this was for your security. Please feel free to re-add the image without your personal details :) 

Ah great, thank you, Chris, appreciate it. Thanks you to @Clockpuncher also for letting me know, will post a reducted version :)

Hi @Touvex, I think you are accessing the USA side of the system. You need to click the UK submission tab at the bottom (assuming you wish to submit via London which I think you do), or go directly to it here: https://www.ngccoin.uk

Then go to Submit -> submission form -> fillable PDF. The form is all in GBP and easier to follow. Its not a slick online form like you have for the US side and seems a bit clunky but it works. If you do that, Im more than happy to help you complete it here in the open forum or in PM, or I understand you can call into the office itself and they will help you. They NGC guys in London are a good bunch.

Thank you @SilverMike! Very kind of you, I will ask questions here so future people can search if they need this also, thanks also for spotting i am on the wrong site.. May i please ask:

1. I guess i should select ship to NGC USA, even if i drop to London office?
  2. Same question as before on declared value - shall i be bullish or conservative? And is it capped based on grades? E.g. cannot be higher than 1500 for "modern" tier?
  3. Is "internet imaging" to get photos in database when we search?
  4. I guess i cannot put a description of the coin somewhere? Just year and denomination?

image.thumb.png.c19d5280073a234821d7ee8e0c90da7f.pngMay I ask

Also was wondering how this insurance bit works?

1. Shipping info is my addres? Even if i want to pick up from London office?
  2. Do you normally pick for NGC to organise return shipping and insurance?

image.thumb.png.d9d4c5bf20ccf4dd62927f6a56735cf4.png

Edited by Touvex

However, as a short summary:

Some boxes are pre-populated for you

Tick box 3 and box 4, sign under box 5 (I have found I can only part complete online, I do what I can then print it off and fill the rest in by pen)

Fill in the "UK shipping form" if you want your coins posted back to you or skip it if you are picking them up

On box 6, tick "ship to NGC USA", the other two I think are used if there are special shows / events in London or Germany, I've never used them anyway

Box 9, tick either pick up or post back to you

Box 10, tick where the coin is from, USA, anywhere else (WORLD) or ancient.

Box 11, decide if you want conservation, if you do pick whichever banding your coins fall into (based on coin value, thats your call)

Box 12, again decide on your service base don coin value, but there is some options here, the sheet at the end will help you decide (if you give m an example of a coin I'll let you know what I would pick)

Box 13, if its just straight forward grading you want (no pedigree, first releases, mint error, references on the slab etc) just skip it unless you are sending a thicker coin then you should tick the relevant holder, although I think NGC would just decide for you if you miss it

Box 14, 15 & 16, probably irrelevant for now, but I think they are fairly self explanatory

Box 17, just fill. table in as you think, if you mess it up NGC will contact you but give it your best shot. the mintmark column is a bit unclear, in here I just put the Spink reference if I want it on the slab, and also anything else "200th anniversary sovereign" for example or just leave it blank. Indicate wether its Proof (PF) or Bullion (MS). Probably sp the next few columns, fill in the metal type, weight and the value you want to give it.

Box 18, tot up what you think you owe them. 

Then take the forms along to NGC and submit your coins. 

Happy to help though 🙂

Wow, this is SUPER helpful, our messages crossed and you answered most of my questions! Thank you.

The coins I'd want to sumbit are, for example, Queens Beasts 1oz Gold Bullion Unicorn - how would you value/tier something like this please? Gold tier?

For Mint Mark - thats a great tip, here i can put for example, "unicorn of scotland"? if i leave it blank they will put that also, or will have no label?

Lastly do you use insurance please on shipping form (guess not as it's insured already from NGC US to NGC UK with value we input on form? As i am picking up from Uk office, this is not needed?)

Good to know i can leave it blank and pickup in London! And i guess i can take my coins and form to London office for submission also?

Thanks!

Edited by Touvex

Sorry, I missed your post while I was writing mine, in answer to your questions:

1. Yes, Ship to USA

2. Ha, thats up to you. If you go too low NGC will just adjust your invoice higher if they think you have been a bit too conservative. But do remember that what you decide as the value, is the amount your coin is insured for should the worst happen, even if NGC subsequently see you as been on the wrong side of the assessment and charge you more. I know a lot would just go on the back of what they have paid, but its a personal choice.

3. No, the images on the census (the ones you find if you look up a coin, in most cases) NGC take anyway. Internet imaging is just another photo service, I've never used any of them but if you had a really nice coin and wanted a nice photo I know they do take a good one.

4. You can put the description in the "mintmark" box, if you start typing you'll see the font in the box is to big, click out and click back in again and you get two lines in small text. But they do know British coins, its really if you want them to put something specific on like a W&R or a Spink number (but then make sure you tick Variety plus). 

Skip the shipping form if you are picking up, you can talk to them when you call in just to double check if you would be happier.

Personally yes, I just tick for NGC to sort shipping out.

14 minutes ago, Touvex said:

Wow, this is SUPER helpful, our messages crossed and you answered most of my questions! Thank you.

The coins I'd want to sumbit are, for example, Queens Beasts 1oz Gold Bullion Unicorn - how would you value/tier something like this please? Gold tier?

For Mint Mark - thats a great tip, here i can put for example, "unicorn of scotland"? if i leave it blank they will put that also, or will have no label?

Lastly do you use insurance please on shipping form (guess not as it's insured already from NGC US to NGC UK with value we input on form? As i am picking up from Uk office, this is not needed?)

Good to know i can leave it blank and pickup in London! And i guess i can take my coins and form to London office for submission also?

Thanks!

No probs.

Yes you can put Unicorn of Scotland in there if you wanted, although they would likely recognise that and put it on.

On shipping yes, I use their insurance and let them sort the return out.

Yes, you can take to the London office in person although you need to book a slot with them. Email is definitely easier I have found, getting through on the phone can be tough.

Edited by SilverMike

1 minute ago, Touvex said:

All clear, thank you!

So "Variety plus" is basically adding your own custom description? E.g. if you put Spink number you still get "Unicoin of Scotland"?

👍, no not quite "variety plus" is asking them to put a reference or attribution on that they recognise, they recognise Spink and W&R and a few others that relate to British coinage, but they won't stick anything on. However, they won't charge you if they don't

3 minutes ago, SilverMike said:

👍, no not quite "variety plus" is asking them to put a reference or attribution on that they recognise, they recognise Spink and W&R and a few others that relate to British coinage, but they won't stick anything on. However, they won't charge you if they don't

Understand, thank you again, will try submitting a few coins first :)

One last questions, sorry - Insurance is included in the tier fee? Or do I pay more depending on the values i enter? If we have to pay additional based on value we put, is that fee based on below?

image.thumb.png.d501a9d5d1b476c1d26787b350b5e804.png

In all honesty, when it comes the shipping side, I just tick the box you have and then pay the bill NGC send and not thought too much more about it. Your coin is only insured by NGC while it is in their possession though. Once they hand it to the courier its under the insurance and custody of the courier. NGC again, will pay for the correct insurance banding as shown on the table ,i.e. your QB will be 1 coin between 250 and 5000 in England so would be 39.60 on its own (I think the rates fluctuate though and the prices are just a guide). but if the overall package is more it may push it into a higher banding. They will group coins together though and keep shipping costs down (while keeping them fully insured.... to the value you gave them). As I say, all the guys I have ever had anything to do with at NGC London have been spot on and very helpful, it can take a few days for them to get back though, but they have always got back to me.

12 hours ago, SilverMike said:

In all honesty, when it comes the shipping side, I just tick the box you have and then pay the bill NGC send and not thought too much more about it. Your coin is only insured by NGC while it is in their possession though. Once they hand it to the courier its under the insurance and custody of the courier. NGC again, will pay for the correct insurance banding as shown on the table ,i.e. your QB will be 1 coin between 250 and 5000 in England so would be 39.60 on its own (I think the rates fluctuate though and the prices are just a guide). but if the overall package is more it may push it into a higher banding. They will group coins together though and keep shipping costs down (while keeping them fully insured.... to the value you gave them). As I say, all the guys I have ever had anything to do with at NGC London have been spot on and very helpful, it can take a few days for them to get back though, but they have always got back to me.

Got it - thank you - so we pay shipping and insurance on top basically and it’s total value based on bands.

@Touvex all good answers already received above. Just adding a few points (mainly insurance / reimbursement in the event of loss/damage):

1. Yes
    2. Please note: NGC UK is not liable for loss or damage to coins in transit
  2. Same question as before on declared value - shall i be bullish or conservative? And is it capped based on grades? E.g. cannot be higher than 1500 for "modern" tier?
    1. This serves two purposes: 1) tier for grading and conservation costs 2) insurance
    2. With regards to tiers - NGC will push it up if the fair market value is higher than what you have put down
    3. With regards to insurance, from what I have heard (I have never had any issues myself, yet), NGC will pay out the LOWER of: a) RRP/Purchase price (you will need to produce receipts), b) fair market value as determined by NGC
    4. Read, point 7.4, in particular, of the terms and conditions here: https://www.ngccoin.uk/legal/terms-and-conditions/
    1. These are extra images - high quality images of the coin outside the holder (sometimes they give you a few for free)
  4. I guess i cannot put a description of the coin somewhere? Just year and denomination?
    1. That's correct - they know most of the British coins; sometimes they get the label wrong in which case I ask them to correct it. They do this free of cost.

Even if you make mistakes in filling up the form, they will let you know, so don't stress over it :)

21 hours ago, UnoWho said:

@Touvex all good answers already received above. Just adding a few points (mainly insurance / reimbursement in the event of loss/damage):

1. Yes
    2. Please note: NGC UK is not liable for loss or damage to coins in transit
    1. This serves two purposes: 1) tier for grading and conservation costs 2) insurance
    2. With regards to tiers - NGC will push it up if the fair market value is higher than what you have put down
    3. With regards to insurance, from what I have heard (I have never had any issues myself, yet), NGC will pay out the LOWER of: a) RRP/Purchase price (you will need to produce receipts), b) fair market value as determined by NGC
    4. Read, point 7.4, in particular, of the terms and conditions here: https://www.ngccoin.uk/legal/terms-and-conditions/
    1. These are extra images - high quality images of the coin outside the holder (sometimes they give you a few for free)
    1. That's correct - they know most of the British coins; sometimes they get the label wrong in which case I ask them to correct it. They do this free of cost.

Even if you make mistakes in filling up the form, they will let you know, so don't stress over it :)

Thank you so much @UnoWho good to know they pay out the lower of retail or fait market!

• 3 months later...
On 31/01/2022 at 16:12, magpie79 said:

just found this thread which is super helpful

thank you everyone for your input 

Reminded me how generous SIlverMike and Unowho were with their time, thanks again guys, very much appreciated!

Love submitting now and try to pay it forward by helping other collectors. Adds another dimension to the hobby.

And this is the most comprehensive submisison guide I know of, took me from zero to complete, I couldn't find any when I tried last year.

May even be worth a pin or a mention in a FAQ thread @ChrisSilver?

25 minutes ago, Touvex said:

May even be worth a pin or a mention in a FAQ thread @ChrisSilver?

I can move this topic to the user guides section if you would like? https://www.thesilverforum.com/forum/84-user-guides/

Members won't be able to add any additional posts as the topics there are a guide style that don't allow replies, however all of the posts in this topic so far will remain. Just let me know if you would like me to do that for you :) 

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers

50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

16 minutes ago, Touvex said:

Sounds like a great idea - thanks Chris!

Please feel free to edit out any bits that doesnt add value, e.g. first 3 posts i think could be removed if that's even possible in the forum backend.

First I must thank you for this immensely helpful thread.

If you don't mind, can you please ask Chris to keep the first three posts, Personally I think it's easier to read with a complete chronological order, thanks! 

Moved to the user guide section. As this was a discussion topic that’s been moved to the guide section, rather than a post specifically created as a guide: I’ve decided to keep all the comments in this topic to maintain this history :) 

Discounts / Offers

Cookies & terms of service

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. By continuing to use this site you consent to the use of cookies and to our Privacy Policy & Terms of Use