• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

RRP Release Price of One Off Sovereigns (Proofs)

SilverJacks

I have searched for the original price of some recent proof sovereigns but can't seem to find anything.

Perhaps someone roughly remembers the price of the following full and/or half sovereigns on release?

2017, 2012, 2005, 2002, 1989

Also, will the 2022 proof sovereign be more expensive than usual? What price should be expected?

1 hour ago, SilverJacks said:

I have searched for the original price of some recent proof sovereigns but can't seem to find anything.

Perhaps someone roughly remembers the price of the following full and/or half sovereigns on release?

Also, will the 2022 proof sovereign be more expensive than usual? What price should be expected?

2017 issues:

1/4  £150

1/2 £250

I think the Sov was around £480 and  the Plain Edge SOTD a bit more.

The Piedfort around £800 

5 Pound Bu around £1775

I’m not sure of the Set Prices

From memory, If you go to Chards old website you might get info about the remainder 2002, 2005 & 2012 including issue prices- https://m.taxfreegold.co.uk (I think the link only works from a desktop browser nowadays)

@LawrenceChard might recall the prices.

Edited by richatthecroft

3 minutes ago, SilverJacks said:

The sovereigns look like giveaways, with the benefit of 30 odd years hindsight bias 😂. Fascinating just how much they've outperformed everything else on the list...

Back in 1989 these coins caused a massive stir.  You have got to remember in those days the Royal Mint issued very few gold coins (the only other ones that come to mind are the Britannias).  They are a superb design and were very popular at the time - and continue to be, hence the current price.

2 minutes ago, richatthecroft said:

2017 issues:

1/4  £150

1/2 £250

The Piedfort around £800 

5 Pound Bu around £1775

From memory, If you go to Chards old website you might get info about the remainder 2002, 2005 & 2012 including issue prices- @LawrenceChard might recall the prices. 

Thanks @richatthecroft. Hugely impressive to see the appreciation in 5 short years... RM currently list them for £1400, and they're out of stock...

7 minutes ago, Zhorro said:

Back in 1989 these coins caused a massive stir.  You have got to remember in those days the Royal Mint issued very few gold coins (the only other ones that come to mind are the Britannias).  They are a superb design and were very popular at the time - and continue to be, hence the current price.

I bet they did! It must have been the first design change since the shield.  It just seems so obvious they would do well, but that's hindsight for you...

27 minutes ago, Zhorro said:

The 1989 issue might well have caused a stir however, from memory (I can’t be bothered firing up my desktop to check this out) but according to https://m.taxfreegold.co.uk I remember reading that they didn’t sell out and we’re discounted to the dealers.

10 hours ago, SilverJacks said:

I remember hearing they weren't so popular on release, perhaps because people wanted St George and found anything else un-sovereign-like. 

Sometimes the most hated collectibles do best though...

Quite right!  The 'massive stir' in the popularity of the 1989 sovereign came much later. The single price was £149.95 released by the RM. In fact the price was stable at about this price from 1983 to 1998. The 4 coin set in 1989 was £1150 but I managed to get a set on the secondary market in 1997 for £850, which was the going price. Secondary prices always seemed to be somewhat cheaper than the RMs inflated release prices. The late 90s was a good time to buy, when gold was about $325 an ounce. Who knows what a 1989 set is worth today? 

13 hours ago, richatthecroft said:

2017 issues:

1/4  £150

1/2 £250

The Piedfort around £800 

5 Pound Bu around £1775

From memory, If you go to Chards old website you might get info about the remainder 2002, 2005 & 2012 including issue prices- https://m.taxfreegold.co.uk (I think the link only works from a desktop browser nowadays)

@LawrenceChard might recall the prices.

@richatthecroft Thanks for the touching faith in my powers of recall!

While I do often recall events, the same does not apply to dates in history, or many facts such as original RM issue price. As you noticed, we did try to include that information on many of our old sites and pages, partly because I often wanted to refer back to it, and I was sure I would not be the only one. The information did not always get included.

I also used to refer back to copies of the Royal Mint Bulletin, when they used to do a print edition of it. It was actually a thinly disguised sales catalogue. We failed to obtain a complete set. Some issues appear only to have been marketed direct to existing RM customers, or by mail shot, and for these, I have never found a record in most cases.

There may just be some of the information on one of our other heritage sites https://goldsovereigns.co.uk/ or https://24carat.co.uk/.

The cost to update all these old sites to be portable device friendly would have been prohibitive, which is one of the reasons we ported much of their content to the newer "Chards" site.

Indeed 24carat was designed to be viewable on monitors as small as VGA 640x480, at a time when SVGA 800x600 was about to become the new standard, before XGA 1024x768 became the new, best thing.

I note I am currently using a 2K 2560x1440 monitor, although I do also use a 4K one sometimes.

I was gulity of being a slight dinosaur about internet browsing on mobile phones, partly because we had invested in producing high quality, high resolution photos, which look better on bigger displays. I still remain somewhat bemused by the fact that most people now browse the internet on screens which are afraction the size of the (now) laughably small 640x480 ones which used to be "state of the art".

We did some work on making at least the index pages of our old sites viewable on mobiles, but they are better viewed on bigger screens.

I Googled "largest mobile phone screen size" and found iPhone 12 Pro Max Display size: 6.7-inch OLED (2778 x 1284). Our newest camera, a Canon R5, is 8192 x 5464, so I reckon Apple would need to make a 26" i-phone, but would need customers with even bigger pockets.

We also get some of our photos printed poster size 40x30", but cropped to 30x30", and they were taken using older cameras with lower resolutions.

Our Canon R5 can also shoot 8K video. I don't know how many mobiles can handle that.

Chards

1 hour ago, LawrenceChard said:

@richatthecroft 

I note I am currently using a 2K 2560x1440 monitor, although I do also use a 4K one sometimes.

I was gulity of being a slight dinosaur about internet browsing on mobile phones, partly because we had invested in producing high quality, high resolution photos, which look better on bigger displays. I still remain somewhat bemused by the fact that most people now browse the internet on screens which are afraction the size of the (now) laughably small 640x480 ones which used to be "state of the art".

We did some work on making at least the index pages of our old sites viewable on mobiles, but they are better viewed on bigger screens.

I Googled "largest mobile phone screen size" and found iPhone 12 Pro Max Display size: 6.7-inch OLED (2778 x 1284). Our newest camera, a Canon R5, is 8192 x 5464, so I reckon Apple would need to make a 26" i-phone, but would need customers with even bigger pockets.

We also get some of our photos printed poster size 40x30", but cropped to 30x30", and they were taken using older cameras with lower resolutions.

Our Canon R5 can also shoot 8K video. I don't know how many mobiles can handle that.

You can have the best resolution monitor out there, but in a number of cases it does not deliver much better viewing experience unless you have an equally adaquate video card capable of sending the 'correct info' in the correct format - and cable - some (I use a Benq) I note are now using or have facility for USB-C connectivity. 

That is not to detract from your website/s, which can be a very helpful resource, for which we thank you, few others bother, so I guess you successfully mitigate your location by such actions. 

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they will never sit in.

35 minutes ago, Coverte said:

You can have the best resolution monitor out there, but in a number of cases it does not deliver much better viewing experience unless you have an equally adaquate video card capable of sending the 'correct info' in the correct format - and cable - some (I use a Benq) I note are now using or have facility for USB-C connectivity. 

That is not to detract from your website/s, which can be a very helpful resource, for which we thank you, few others bother, so I guess you successfully mitigate your location by such actions. 

My current monitor is also a BenQ (PD3200Q) coupled with Radeon X580.

Other advantages of our location include property prices. Our office / showroom in Blackpool stands us at about £1 million. Anywhere decent in London would cost about 10 x that. Then there is quality of life. My commute is about 25 minutes along the Promenade, with sea views, and we have adequate parking at Harrowside. London might mean a 1-2 hour commute, no parking, more pollution, traffic, noise, heat...

Sure it might be balanced by more "local" demand and disposable income, but...

🙂

Chards

11 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

My current monitor is also a BenQ (PD3200Q) coupled with Radeon X580.

Other advantages of our location include property prices. Our office / showroom in Blackpool stands us at about £1 million. Anywhere decent in London would cost about 10 x that. Then there is quality of life. My commute is about 25 minutes along the Promenade, with sea views, and we have adequate parking at Harrowside. London might mean a 1-2 hour commute, no parking, more pollution, traffic, noise, heat...

Sure it might be balanced by more "local" demand and disposable income, but...

🙂

I am not criticising your location, as I hoped you would know, having commented on what you have to do (due location) to gain earlier days market exposure in at least one of your own interview videos.

I worked in London and lived in Golders Green myself many years ago, but for both business / living costs and more-so considering the quality of like of my family, left any London base long, long ago.

Edited by Coverte

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they will never sit in.

19 hours ago, SilverJacks said:

Some sites do list the original RM retail price for some Sovereigns.

See here for the 2017 Sovereign:

https://agaunews.com/2017-sovereign-recreates-200yr-old-pistrucci-original/

They must have really been struggling to get rid of those 1989 sovereigns as they were selling a box set two years later with a 1991 and 1989 sovereign in it.

You never know they might get away with a 23k mintage on the next special reserve sovereign though.

2 hours ago, Coverte said:

I am not criticising your location, as I hoped you would know, having commented on what you have to do (due location) to gain earlier days market exposure in at least one of your own interview videos.

I worked in London and lived in Golders Green myself many years ago, but for both business / living costs and more-so considering the quality of like of my family, left any London base long, long ago.

I am not criticising your location, as I hoped you would know,

Don't worry, I didn't think that for a moment.

having commented on what you have to do (due location) to gain earlier days market exposure in at least one of your own interview videos.

Thanks.

Very sensible!

Chards