• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Is It Worth Grading A Coin If You Can See Milk Spots?

4 minutes ago, CollectorNo1 said:

Ngc/Ncs do state on their website they don't attempt to clean milkspots as it would do more damage to the coin. They must of attempted conserving coins in the past with Milkspots without success, so now they avoid conserving bullion with this problem.

Can professional conservation from NCS remove white spots?

Numismatic Conservation Services (NCS), an independent affiliate of NGC, has conducted extensive research but has been unable to determine a conservation technique that can prevent or remove white spots without damaging the coin. In some cases white spots can be minimized, but they cannot be removed

1 hour ago, CollectorNo1 said:

Ngc/Ncs do state on their website they don't attempt to clean milkspots as it would do more damage to the coin. They must of attempted conserving coins in the past with Milkspots without success, so now they avoid conserving bullion with this problem.

I didn't mention conservation I stated " it's not heavily spotted so I think it will grade normally, one spot is not a big problem re grading."

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

• 1 month later...

So, I don’t have the coins in hand yet but the results are in. Absolutely delighted 😃 

it’s worth noting, as previously stated, the milk spots only showed up under certain conditions in which case they were pretty obvious. But I guess it’s possible that they didn’t show up during the grading process…

Anyway, I can’t wait to get them in hand now …

398191BD-441C-449B-ADBB-07588405057E.jpeg

4 hours ago, Dazzlinh said:

I got a PF67 😞

That's a shame mate. Is there anything other than spots that could've dragged the grade down? Did you tick for conservation also? - I did with mine but I'm not sure if it was conserved or not. I will find out with the invoice...

On 23/08/2021 at 13:44, SilverJacks said:

but noticed what looks like early signs of milk spotting (RM trademark). From most angles they can't be seen but when condensation forms from the heat from my fingers through the capsule, they show quite prominently

On 23/08/2021 at 18:31, SilverJacks said:

I didn't make it clear that it's with the lid off. Whichever way I held the coin, through one half of the capsule so as not to touch the coin itself, that's where condensation would form.

I find it hard to believe the heat from your hand would cause condensation to form on the coin, unless the coin was very cold to start with and then the heat is probably from the room air. Do you keep your coins in the fridge?😉

10 hours ago, SilverJacks said:

rth noting, as previously stated, the milk spots only showed up under certain conditions in which case they were pretty obvious. But I guess it’s possible that they didn’t show up during the grading process…

Presumably during grading the coin was at room temperature and didn't show the (pre) milk spots. It will be interesting to see if spots do develop in time on the areas you noted.

Edited by sovereignsteve

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

43 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

I find it hard to believe the heat from your hand would cause condensation to form on the coin, unless the coin was very cold to start with and then the heat is probably from the room air. Do you keep your coins in the fridge?😉

Presumably during grading the coin was at room temperature and didn't show the (pre) milk spots. It will be interesting to see if spots do develop in time on the areas you noted.

Yes this crossed my mind. I assume that it's just inevitable that they will resurface. I'll have a good look when it's back.

I think my hands were just warmer than the coin which caused the coin to draw moisture to its surface. It is interesting though as I remember a theory on the forum recently that suggested that milk spots are caused by solid matter contaminating the coin but only becoming visibly noticeable once the solid contaminant reacts with liquid. I'm not saying that's a fact or anything, but the theory is consistent with this case, with the milk spots showing up when the condensation was present. I would speculate that the more often this happens, the more prominent and permanently visible the milk spots will become.

Anyway, I'm really fond of this coin. It has a really low mintage and I intend to keep it long term. If the spots get worse then that's the hand that I'm dealt...