• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Inheritance Tax, a Little Help?

Hope I've pull this in the right section

As my parents are now getting on a bit it's not going to be too long before they go. If they were to pop off tomorrow I won't have anywhere to live as the taxes will be too high for me to afford.

Any ideas?

Thanks 

Edited by tallthinkev

2 hours ago, Rll1288 said:

Are you living with them at the moment?

No, but live in a place they own 

46 minutes ago, Fadeingstar said:

I am assumeing that you are refering to inhertiance tax on their property?

That's right

Having completed probate myself when the last of my parents passed away after a bit of reading up it was for me straight forward enough. As everyone’s position is different a starting place would be the governments website on inheritance tax. I would not give anyone advice on this as I am not trained nor an expert.

https://www.gov.uk/inheritance-tax

This is a very complex tax and to even to give any basic advice/information requires a lot more detail of what they own for instance. Best to pay someone for detailed recommendations as it could potentially save you a lot of money or cost you a lot if you get the wrong advice. Some basic info here:  https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/inheritance-tax-planning-iht/

Also don't forget that you could make use of gifts. Your parents could gift you the property you stay in now (or any amount of money). You will have to pay stamp duty. If they live another 7 years there is no tax payable. If they die before 7 years, inheritance tax is reduced on a sliding scale between 0 and 7 years.

Always consult a good lawyer beforehand.

Theres a whole lot of options like gifting, establishing a trust that holds the property etc. Only the lawyer can tell you whats best for your unique circumstance.

Inheritance tax can and will hit a lot of people due to the explosive increases in property especially in London and the South East. This tax was originally established to extract some cash from the very wealthy and not the ordinary folks. Unfortunately the middle sector will be hit whilst the upper echelons find ways of avoiding paying.

As others have said, getting sound advice is recommended but there are lots of commission based advisors only too ready to sell you a solution that sounds great but earns them fat fees. Take your time to do some research before signing anything.

My knowledge is very limited but your parents could transfer their house to you as a gift and if 1 parent survives by 7 years then no tax is due. If 1 parent dies before the 7 year period then I think the surviving spouse receives their share with no tax liability. Needs careful checking as far as valuations and any stamp duty is concerned.

I think the richer tax avoiders manage to transfer their properties in to Companies and set up directors that own all the shares.
So if your parents house was owned by ABC with you and your parents as directors then as directors disappear it would eventually mean as sole director you own the company hence the house but how you ever sell it is not something I know anything about. Also there are trusts and I cannot comment as I have never looked at them.

Seek professional tax advice BUT be warned that many, if not most, financial advisors see you as an income generator and many will give advice that earns them or their employer handsomely.

PS - make sure you get Powers of Attorney set up in advance of berievement and use a solicitor and not a DIY method.
When a person dies leaving behind an estate the government vultures are knocking on your door before you have cleared the plates at the wake !

16 minutes ago, Pete said:

Inheritance tax can and will hit a lot of people due to the explosive increases in property especially in London and the South East. This tax was originally established to extract some cash from the very wealthy and not the ordinary folks. Unfortunately the middle sector will be hit whilst the upper echelons find ways of avoiding paying.

As others have said, getting sound advice is recommended but there are lots of commission based advisors only too ready to sell you a solution that sounds great but earns them fat fees. Take your time to do some research before signing anything.

My knowledge is very limited but your parents could transfer their house to you as a gift and if 1 parent survives by 7 years then no tax is due. If 1 parent dies before the 7 year period then I think the surviving spouse receives their share with no tax liability. Needs careful checking as far as valuations and any stamp duty is concerned.

I think the richer tax avoiders manage to transfer their properties in to Companies and set up directors that own all the shares.
So if your parents house was owned by ABC with you and your parents as directors then as directors disappear it would eventually mean as sole director you own the company hence the house but how you ever sell it is not something I know anything about. Also there are trusts and I cannot comment as I have never looked at them.

Seek professional tax advice BUT be warned that many, if not most, financial advisors see you as an income generator and many will give advice that earns them or their employer handsomely.

PS - make sure you get Powers of Attorney set up in advance of berievement and use a solicitor and not a DIY method.
When a person dies leaving behind an estate the government vultures are knocking on your door before you have cleared the plates at the wake !

Power of Attorney done directly through the Office of the Public Guardian is straight forward and only cost £82.00 per form so £164.00 in total for health and finance, solicitors will and do charge high rates to do the same job as you do yourself, they will still look to deal with the signatures and witnesses but you can do that yourself and even have someone you personally know be the certificate holder, the OPG have guidance docs online that run alongside the application form....

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

Cookies & terms of service

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. By continuing to use this site you consent to the use of cookies and to our Privacy Policy & Terms of Use