• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

anyone here collect panda golds?

Touvex

Thinking about getting into these, at the moment i own a grand total of ZERO... but i love the designs, especially that its different each year! those damn pandas are just so cute... Plus i am Chinese so it makes sense :)

I'm thinking of getting some from Chards in thier mixed panda section to bag older coins, has anyone bought them before? i love the fact it says minty, so asuming it is all in flawless condition. also, it says they are 1 ozt, but i thought pandas are 30g? @LawrenceChard answers on a postcard please, thanks ;)

Any advise for a new panda collecters? i think there are a few on the forum.

I only really buy gold, so will likely just go for 1 oz coins.

Thanks all!

1 hour ago, Touvex said:

Thinking about getting into these, at the moment i own a grand total of ZERO... but i love the designs, especially that its different each year! those damn pandas are just so cute... Plus i am Chinese so it makes sense :)

I'm thinking of getting some from Chards in thier mixed panda section to bag older coins, has anyone bought them before? i love the fact it says minty, so asuming it is all in flawless condition. also, it says they are 1 ozt, but i thought pandas are 30g? @LawrenceChard answers on a postcard please, thanks ;)

Any advise for a new panda collecters? i think there are a few on the forum.

I only really buy gold, so will likely just go for 1 oz coins.

Thanks all!

你好

We don't always have many earlier pandas in stock, but I believe we bought in a small batch a short while ago.

These are probably our best deal on them, our choice of dates:

https://www.chards.co.uk/chinese-gold-pandas-1oz-minty/14380

Minty:

https://www.chards.co.uk/blog/bullion-coin-types-available-from-chards/762

Our blog / info page about gold pandas:

https://www.chards.co.uk/blog/panda-bullion-coins-china/35

The one ounce version is usually the best value in most gold bullion coins.

Hopefully, the above should provide almost everything you need to know.

Any other questions, just contact out Customer Service team at @ChardsCoinandBullionDealer.

Our "Search" also works pretty well.

Chards

Pandas are beautiful coins but i have had the impression that they don't really do well here on the forum. 

I have a 3g panda collection, I love them. Great designs different textures and details I'm a big fan of pandas. 

Just now, Tn21 said:

I have a 3g panda collection, I love them. Great designs different textures and details I'm a big fan of pandas. 

My Only Panda collection is my fat Panda ex - she wasnt made of gold but lead - the useless lump!

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

interesting, thanks for the info mate! not fussed about thier liquidity speed as i want to hold my collection. but good to know!

can't wait to see one in person!

For the record I blame it on myself as I have a face like melted wellies! and a body of a god -  a small round bhudda and I was pished at the alter!

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

I have all the 1 Troy ounce PL bullion gold Pandas from 1982 thru 2015 (including 1987 - 3 mint marks - S, Y & P and 2001 no & D mint marks). I quit collecting the series when China Mint went metric starting 2016 to 30 grams instead of Troy ounce. To avoid high premium old issues going back to 1982, I suggest starting your collection from 2016 (when they went metric). Good luck on your starting a gold Panda collection. Here’s a brochure picture showing 1982 thru 2016 designs...

AB76E09C-4C18-4AF0-812B-5198B3DEF368.thumb.jpeg.718da5461f0f4dc0c749e1d5489b44de.jpeg

A611F3F1-3431-499A-BA7F-42AE1FBC31D3.thumb.jpeg.fa33d72aba328074e095ef67ae1b3221.jpeg

If you literally want to start small, take a look at the 2007 25th Anniversary Set as a challenge, they are only 1/25oz and the full set makes up to 1oz....

There was also a silver version which was  comprised of 1/4oz coins.

Peter Anthony: The 2007 (1984) 15 Yuan 1/25 oz. gold Panda is part of the 2007 Twenty-fifth Anniversary Set and has a mintage of 18,000. The 2007 Twenty-fifth Anniversary gold and silver coins are the largest sets of Pandas ever issued. Each coin recaps the design from one of the twenty-four prior years on one face and on the other carries an image of the Temple of Heaven plus the anniversary statement. Originally the coins were shipped in lavish boxes, Inside each box there were five rows of coins inside clear plastic strips. Each of the 15 Yuan gold coins weighs 1/25 of a troy oz. so the 25 coins add up to one ounce of gold. 

The anniversary gold coins were well protected in the original plastic holders and most have graded well: PF70 or PF69.

14 minutes ago, Uksilverstackers said:

If you literally want to start small, take a look at the 2007 25th Anniversary Set as a challenge, they are only 1/25oz and the full set makes up to 1oz....

Peter Anthony: The 2007 (1984) 15 Yuan 1/25 oz. gold Panda is part of the 2007 Twenty-fifth Anniversary Set and has a mintage of 18,000. The 2007 Twenty-fifth Anniversary gold and silver coins are the largest sets of Pandas ever issued. Each coin recaps the design from one of the twenty-four prior years on one face and on the other carries an image of the Temple of Heaven plus the anniversary statement. Originally the coins were shipped in lavish boxes, Inside each box there were five rows of coins inside clear plastic strips. Each of the 15 Yuan gold coins weighs 1/25 of a troy oz. so the 25 coins add up to one ounce of gold. 

The anniversary gold coins were well protected in the original plastic holders and most have graded well: PF70 or PF69.

Thanks for mentioning Peter Anthony:

The Gold and Silver Panda Coin Buyer’s Guide by Peter Anthony is a comprehensive reference book that is a must-have for any serious Panda collector.

I have the 1 oz 2018 gold bullion panda.

Love the design and finish for a bullion coin.

Temple of heaven side of the coin has a proof finish in my view.

If I was collecting gold bullion coins, I'd be very happy with the panda's 🐼

2 minutes ago, GoldenGriffin said:

I have the 1 oz 2018 gold bullion panda.

Love the design and finish for a bullion coin.

Temple of heaven side of the coin has a proof finish in my view.

If I was collecting gold bullion coins, I'd be very happy with the panda's 🐼

Starting with 2016, they are 30 grams (not 1 tr oz - which is 31.103 grams).

20 hours ago, trozau said:

I have all the 1 Troy ounce PL bullion gold Pandas from 1982 thru 2015 (including 1987 - 3 mint marks - S, Y & P and 2001 no & D mint marks). I quit collecting the series when China Mint went metric starting 2016 to 30 grams instead of Troy ounce. To avoid high premium old issues going back to 1982, I suggest starting your collection from 2016 (when they went metric). Good luck on your starting a gold Panda collection. Here’s a brochure picture showing 1982 thru 2016 designs...

AB76E09C-4C18-4AF0-812B-5198B3DEF368.thumb.jpeg.718da5461f0f4dc0c749e1d5489b44de.jpeg

A611F3F1-3431-499A-BA7F-42AE1FBC31D3.thumb.jpeg.fa33d72aba328074e095ef67ae1b3221.jpeg

14 hours ago, Uksilverstackers said:

Thanks so much guys, appreciate the info.

@trozau - what an epic collection, please post some pictures if you have photos already! Would love to see them together. Thought not sure how you've managed to stop the run, i would be addicted after that long. let me know if you are thinking of liquidating them :)

WIll pick up the book also.

But think i will start by getting the 2021 coin...!

@GoldenGriffin - thought you stack 1oz gold coins? Or are you purely proof man?

Peter Anthony’s book will help the gold Panda collector identify the small date and large date varieties as well as the serif and mirror varieties. Not found in the book is the list compiled by a well known Chinese collector named Huang Ruiyong who came out with the priority list below...

Gold Panda 'year priority' list arranged in 2012 by Huang Ruiyong according to his extensive research:

1998 Shenyang Large Date

2000 Shanghai Mirror

1999 Shanghai Small Date

1999 Shenzhen Guobao Serif

1998 Shanghai Small Date

1995 Shenyang Small Date

1995 Shanghai Large Date

1989 Shenyang Large Date

1994 Shenyang Small Date

1994 Shanghai Large Date

1993 Shanghai Large Date

1999 Shenyang Large Date

2002 Shenzhen Guobao

2000 Shenzhen Guobao

1991 Shenyang

1991 Shanghai

1996 Shenyang Large Date

1996 Shanghai Small Date

1997 Shenyang Large Date

1997 Shanghai Small Date

2001D

1987Y

The above estimate is a very simple rough estimate of gold panda set rankings. In all reality as the population of panda enthusiasts grows, and as the amount of research into the gold pandas probes deeper, the above estimates will certainly need to be readjusted. Becoming an expert at hidden gems is congratulatory but I have not become that familiar (just better at it). Only by studying mountains of gold panda coins and research can one hope to acquire true expertise.

Huang Ruiyong

@Touvex, My wife gave me my first 1 troz gold Panda for my birthday in 1984 (it was a 1983). After our second child was born in 1989, I decided to buy the current year issue and back track the previous issues back to 1982. 1 troz is my preferred size and all of them were obtained raw and left in their OMP. Don’t have any good photos of them. A shorter list that I have are the 1 troz platinum Pandas. Same design as the gold and were only issued as proofs from 1987 - 1990 (4 year run). 

25 minutes ago, trozau said:

Peter Anthony’s book will help the gold Panda collector identify the small date and large date varieties as well as the serif and mirror varieties. Not found in the book is the list compiled by a well known Chinese collector named Huang Ruiyong who came out with the priority list below...

Gold Panda 'year priority' list arranged in 2012 by Huang Ruiyong according to his extensive research:

1998 Shenyang Large Date

2000 Shanghai Mirror

1999 Shanghai Small Date

1999 Shenzhen Guobao Serif

1998 Shanghai Small Date

1995 Shenyang Small Date

1995 Shanghai Large Date

1989 Shenyang Large Date

1994 Shenyang Small Date

1994 Shanghai Large Date

1993 Shanghai Large Date

1999 Shenyang Large Date

2002 Shenzhen Guobao

2000 Shenzhen Guobao

1991 Shenyang

1991 Shanghai

1996 Shenyang Large Date

1996 Shanghai Small Date

1997 Shenyang Large Date

1997 Shanghai Small Date

2001D

1987Y

The above estimate is a very simple rough estimate of gold panda set rankings. In all reality as the population of panda enthusiasts grows, and as the amount of research into the gold pandas probes deeper, the above estimates will certainly need to be readjusted. Becoming an expert at hidden gems is congratulatory but I have not become that familiar (just better at it). Only by studying mountains of gold panda coins and research can one hope to acquire true expertise.

Huang Ruiyong

this is epic, thanks, doubt i will ever go into that much detail, but interesting to see there are serious enthusiasts out there!

1 minute ago, trozau said:

@Touvex, My wife gave me my first 1 troz gold Panda for my birthday in 1984 (it was a 1983). After our second child was born in 1989, I decided to buy the current year issue and back track the previous issues back to 1982. 1 troz is my preferred size and all of the were obtained raw and left in their OMP. Don’t have any good photos of them. A shorter list that I have are the 1 troz platinum Pandas. Same design as the gold and were only issued as proofs from 1987 - 1990 (4 year run). 

Awsome, that's a great present! 1984 too, gold was 270 pounds an oz back then!

OMP as in original packaging? do they come in plastic vacuums?

2 minutes ago, Touvex said:

this is epic, thanks, doubt i will ever go into that much detail, but interesting to see there are serious enthusiasts out there!

Awsome, that's a great present! 1984 too, gold was 270 pounds an oz back then!

OMP as in original packaging? do they come in plastic vacuums?

OMP for gold Pandas is sealed plastic (which is a pain to store properly).

here’s the 2015

F805D059-EE47-49A9-A73C-9D46664A8DAB.thumb.jpeg.8cfff68a867e2a74eef36270ce6a4ead.jpeg

1 hour ago, Touvex said:

@GoldenGriffin - thought you stack 1oz gold coins? Or are you purely proof man?

I have some bullion in coins and bars, but mostly have proof coins.

I'd be reluctant to sell the panda, I'm hoping to keep it.

I don't grade bullion coins, but with this, I may make an exception at some point, as I really like it.

Good luck with your panda collection!

thanks for the photo @trozau - wonder if UK dealers keep them like that.

also wondered how you'd keep them as i'm pretty OCD and have all my coins in the same air-tites. if i do get them i will keep them in packaging also.

@GoldenGriffin - enjoy, keep it!

Also just noticed atkinsons sold out 2021 - it had stock yesterday and for months before - chards mix dates also sold out, is someone watching this thread and buying before me? hahahahaa guess i will leave it for now then!

7 minutes ago, Touvex said:

thanks for the photo @trozau - wonder if UK dealers keep them like that.

also wondered how you'd keep them as i'm pretty OCD and have all my coins in the same air-tites. if i do get them i will keep them in packaging also.

@GoldenGriffin - enjoy, keep it!

Also just noticed atkinsons sold out 2021 - it had stock yesterday and for months before - chards mix dates also sold out, is someone watching this thread and buying before me? hahahahaa guess i will leave it for now then!

Earlier today I saw a Teams post that we had sold out of the minty our choice gold pandas. 

I assumed you had bought them all!🙂

Chards

When I started collecting panda were hot property this continued for a few years and some of the half gold were going for serious money, this has come off the boil now.      I managed to get hold of some key pandas early on but when it came to selling the U.K. market wasn’t strong enough compared to the American and Chinese which made sending coins abroad expensive.    I still think they are great coins which are more of a proof finish than other bullion coins but it’s not easy to get the premium back when selling over here.      There is a dedicated panda forum which Peter Anthony quite often contributed to and would reply to messages when sent      His book is first class if you can get it but comes with import fees if he sends it.      Good luck with buying but if you are collecting as bullion make sure there is an outlet in the past chards, Atkinson’s and HGM will pay less for them than sovs while charging a higher premium when selling on

13 minutes ago, Cornishfarmer said:

When I started collecting panda were hot property this continued for a few years and some of the half gold were going for serious money, this has come off the boil now.      I managed to get hold of some key pandas early on but when it came to selling the U.K. market wasn’t strong enough compared to the American and Chinese which made sending coins abroad expensive.    I still think they are great coins which are more of a proof finish than other bullion coins but it’s not easy to get the premium back when selling over here.      There is a dedicated panda forum which Peter Anthony quite often contributed to and would reply to messages when sent      His book is first class if you can get it but comes with import fees if he sends it.      Good luck with buying but if you are collecting as bullion make sure there is an outlet in the past chards, Atkinson’s and HGM will pay less for them than sovs while charging a higher premium when selling on

Thanks so much for this mate, this is a great response and super helpful. Appreciate it!

Interesting re premiums, they do seem high, i guess it's a supply/demand thing, which makes sense, they seem not easy to get hold of here, as you say also - but i also thought high premiums was passed on from Bank of China... but it sounds like that's not the case. very, very interesting they can be had for lower premiums than sovs!

Being Chinese, I have family in China, and even an office in SH from my business also! So is it better if i buy them directly from China? Do you know?

Thanks again!

Archived