• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Is Royal Mints legal tender promise worthless?

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the word spreads and a lot of folk return their coins to the RM, who then melt them down to recycle them, won't they then become rare and more valuable in years to come?

you would hope so , but as the rm will never admit how many got sent back no-one will ever know how many are out there and they will still stand by their mintage figures.

plus also i cant see many people collecting the series in future , so i see only a downward curve for these ,especially the £50 and £100

29 minutes ago, daz said:

you would hope so , but as the rm will never admit how many got sent back no-one will ever know how many are out there and they will still stand by their mintage figures.

Very true, but since they can count £11+M profit, you would think they could count coins as the were returned. ?

I've just been on the phone to the Royal Mint to see what's happening to my returned orders that was signed for at their end on Saturday. They said that they are dealing with all the returns that arrived on the 4th. Feb and have been inundated with returns. Should be a couple of days time before mine gets processed.

I was hoping it would be in by now so I could get something from their bullion range but then noticed I had to open a separate account from their collectible range.

Does anyone know if the bullion and collectible Royal Mint accounts are linked?

I have a feeling that I might have a little trouble getting my funds to purchase bullion and will only be able to buy collectible coins.

1 hour ago, MickB said:

I was hoping it would be in by now so I could get something from their bullion range but then noticed I had to open a separate account from their collectible range.

Does anyone know if the bullion and collectible Royal Mint accounts are linked?

I have a feeling that I might have a little trouble getting my funds to purchase bullion and will only be able to buy collectible coins.

It is two separate accounts I believe. 

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

I don't recall looking at the RM website in recent times...

If I go to the page for 'Bullion' accounts (I guess that's a pooled account), it says, "...[Royal Mint is] the only mint in the world to enable customers to arrange the purchase, selling and secure storage of Bullion, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year from anywhere in the world."

That cannot be true. The *only* mint that offers this?

Just had a call from the Royal Mint as they said they can't transfer credit from the collectible account to the bullion account as they are separate companies within the mint!

The bullion account is used by a lot of people in America and is set up better for them.

My money now going back into my bank account so I can then transfer funds into my bullion account with them. Now to wait three working days for funds to clear:(

14 minutes ago, MickB said:

so I can then transfer funds into my bullion account with them.

Serious question Mick.

Do you still think that they really deserve your business after this episode?

I could possibly understand if the prices were competitive.

Currently stacking 1/4 oz (22ct) and Sovs.

I was looking at the Indian made sovereign to buy, BaldyBob.

There's also the way I could put funds into the account which I like as it would be one way of saving towards a 1 oz gold coin. If I left the money in my savings or main bank account I'd more than likely not buy a 1 oz gold coin. Putting a little away every month into it, which I wouldn't miss until there's enough for one would be the only realistic way of me getting one. 

I'd still be buying my usual monthly purchases but my missus would hit the roof if I spent so much on a 1 oz gold Britannia in one hit as she would be thinking that the money could be spent on the house or a holiday.

If another bullion dealer who was cheaper offered that option, I'd consider saving with them.

Archived