• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Is Royal Mints legal tender promise worthless?

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have bought 5 of these Britannias. They are selling graded at 69 for 125$ and 70 for more. NGC have given them a separate variety "plain fields " or words to that effect. There is 10,000 mintage and USA interest and as a variety of Britannia 10,000 is low mintage. NGC are designating them DPML.

1d31e265f66b3bf161fda30809ddea57.jpg

You guys can be cynical and mostly I am too..but in this case they will sell out and they will be a special variety. I ordered 5 to be sent to USA with no vat... And I will have them graded.

No not cynical. They are simply being opportunistic. They went over to a rough textured field due to problems with damage to the new 999 coins. Now someone has had the idea of minting a limited number to the original finish (OK it may be a little shinier) and, low and behold, another "collectable" is created!

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

No not cynical. They are simply being opportunistic. They went over to a rough textured field due to problems with damage to the new 999 coins. Now someone has had the idea of minting a limited number to the original finish (OK it may be a little shinier) and, low and behold, another "collectable" is created!

It looks nicer than the original but yes hey presto another limited edition)) doesn't necessarily mean not to buy it thought as fundamentally ALL modems are manufactured

44 minutes ago, Numistacker said:

It looks nicer than the original but yes hey presto another limited edition)) doesn't necessarily mean not to buy it thought as fundamentally ALL modems are manufactured

Exactly, the market will have it's way, also many who collect the whole BU series will feel the pressure to get this one too.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

29 minutes ago, MickB said:

I take it these are your nan's, Garthy?

Afraid so,  I actually feel guilty about ebaying them. I may phone the mint and ask for a refund, I very much doubt they'll give her one though the robbing so and so's.

7 minutes ago, garthy said:

Afraid so,  I actually feel guilty about ebaying them. I may phone the mint and ask for a refund, I very much doubt they'll give her one though the robbing so and so's.

I'm still waiting for a reply from them regarding a refund. They emailed me back and said it was a complicated matter but will be back in touch but over two weeks have passed and still nothing. I did ask if I could exchange them all for something else on their website, would gladly get rid of them all now!

Let me know how you get on Mick, I'll phone them tomorrow to let them know the situation and see what they have to say, She's kept all the promotional letters and leaflets and nowhere does it mention any detail about the legal tender terms and conditions, as She made the order by phone and they didn't mention anything I think She has a case for a refund.

An exchange would at least be something, after they refuse a refund I'll take that route

19 minutes ago, garthy said:

She's kept all the promotional letters and leaflets and nowhere does it mention any detail about the legal tender terms and conditions,

Take your Nan and all that promo type stuff to a 'Watchdog' type program. Old lady duped out of her hard earned by the Royal mint. They would love it.

Currently stacking 1/4 oz (22ct) and Sovs.

I've just received a response from the Royal Mint, they must be following this forum!

'Dear Mr. Baker, 

Thank you for your patience.

To discuss this further please provide a telephone number or alternatively contact us on 0345 60 88 300

Regards,

Ayllson Bowden

Customer Services Manager

The Royal Mint'.

Well well, clever not to leave an email trail just in case they want to make me an offer they don't want everyone to know about or it might be a typical run of the mill response. Strange how they want to end the email trail.

At least it's a start so I will be ringing them and asking for an email response as well!

I'm shocked!

The lady on the phone said that the management have reviewed my complaint and will reimburse my money once all the coins are returned!

I did say I would be happy to keep them if the face value was guaranteed at any time over the years, she then wanted to explain their policy regarding commemorative and face value coins. Don't need that read to me for the umpteenth time.

They are emailing the returns address to me so I will be returning them. It's a shame it's come to this as the coins are nice but it's the way they have gone about the whole issue that's put me off the face-value range of coins.

Get on the phone @garthy as I'm sure they will do the same for your nan.

it's been two weeks now and they haven't even got

the customer service to reply to my email explaining

why I should be constantly chasing them up for the

dud coins that they've sent me. all I want is a swap

for some non marked coins.

I'm amazed you've managed get a refund.

HH

8 minutes ago, Cornishfarmer said:

@MickB make sure you use correct postage.   Nothing worse than sending it signed for are getting lost then no refund and no silver

The lady on the phone did advise me that it should be fully insured and recorded. Will see how much I'll be paying at the post office in the morning.

I won't mind if the Royal Mint give me credit against another purchase on their site as I've seen a few things that I'd be interested in.

I'm surprised at the refund but I did mention in an email to them about this forum for them to read to get the general idea of everyone's feelings regarding this matter.

A victory for thesilverforum.:)

19 minutes ago, HawkHybrid said:

it's been two weeks now and they haven't even got

the customer service to reply to my email explaining

why I should be constantly chasing them up for the

dud coins that they've sent me. all I want is a swap

for some non marked coins.

I'm amazed you've managed get a refund.

HH

Keep reminding them, don't let them off, HH

I want to put my money towards a 5 ounce silver proof Britannia but a bit anxious they'll send me a milk spotted one out of spite and then I'm back to square one in chasing them up again.<_<

1 hour ago, DRooster said:

Mick have you posted your e-mail demanding a refund here, the wording etc.

If not, please PM aggravated parties (like me) so we know what rattles their cage and maybe get some results.

Thanks in advance.

PM'd you.

Archived