• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

UPS are taking the proverbial

longschlongsilver

I've got some gold being sent from Europe and UPS will not waiver the customs fees even though gold is of course VAT free! I've tried countless times to phone their billing department and cannot for the life of me get through and i've had their couriers turn up asking for payment before they give me the goods. The dealer I bought the gold from has also contacted UPS with the appropriate paperwork and they're still not listening. What can I do in this situation?

If my gold was at the door i would pay them and take possession. Then claim the customs' fees back. 

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

You are correct that gold should not attract VAT so if you pay the VAT you can make a claim for a refund through Border Force.
However, what is written on the customs declaration ?
Some dealers and sellers will describe the contents as machine parts, samples or something obscure because they do not want the courier to get overly interested in the contents.
That would be subject to full VAT.
Unless the contents are described as gold then you might be out of luck because that is not only a false declaration but matching stuff up to prove your claim could be challenging.

UPS have a standard investment gold declaration form but it is not easy to find and has no reference number. Personally i have never had a problem importing with them. Once your parcel lands in the UK fill in the form and email it to their customs and imports dept. Someone has previously posted a copy of this form and if you search for a thread " Ordering from the USA" you will find it.

12 hours ago, Pete said:

However, what is written on the customs declaration ?
Some dealers and sellers will describe the contents as machine parts, samples or something obscure because they do not want the courier to get overly interested in the contents.

As i remember, goldsilver.be for example was sending parcels out as 'medical supplies' or something similar.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

2 hours ago, sixgun said:

As i remember, goldsilver.be for example was sending parcels out as 'medical supplies' or something similar.

Yes I've seen that description used many times.
To the best of my knowledge the ONLY company that declares gold and precious metals on the outside label is our Royal Mint !!
Goods that are shipped outside of the EU require a customs declaration which is generally done electronically by the shipper.
If the contents were correctly described as gold even if the label was obscure the receiver ought to be able to recover VAT paid.

I ordered gold coins from coininvest in Germany which they send with UPS. UPS send me a paper to fill in and send them back (with the paper was my order which clearly says that it was gold coins), but it was a paper for 'Work of Art, Antiques, Collectors. So I send then an email saying that it was investment Gold which is VAt free. COuple of days later, They emailed me asking me to pay for a bit more than 20% in taxes which I haven't paid. I send another email, but no answers so far. Now the parcel is in a depot and waiting for them to change the tax.

So frustrating...

My grief with UPS over the last couple of weeks....

Ordered some gold coins from goldsilver.be

Arrived in the UK after a made up delay, got an email asking for a VAT figure that seemed to have been worked out on a wooden calculator using their elbows.

In an attempt to get the charges removed, I spent far too long on the phone to either get call disconnected after an hr wait, or get through to someone who then advises to email another department. No chance, no response to ANY emails. (even including the uktrustpilot@ups.com email address they respond to every negative TrusPilot review with)

UPS "attempted" to deliver 3 times during this time, complete bullsh1t, i was in every time. Didn't even ring the bell.

I gave up and paid the VAT to get the package, and unsurprisingly they rung the bell this time and delivered, without a doubt only because no money was overdue.

The package arrived with no customs documentation to show calculations or the details needed to claim the VAT back.

Goldsilver.be had clearly included a commercial invoice with the correct import code and also a higlighted note stating "investment gold, VAT exempt". Completely ignored by UPS.

I'm now on my 6th email chase to try and get the customs docs that should have been with the package.

Complete scam artists and completely useless in every way.

Avoid UPS at all costs. It's been painful.

edit:

(if you need to call them, NEVER choose a department option, just hang on the line repeating "i hate UPS" or similar,  the call is then answered after the third fail to put you in a predetermined dead end queue. it will still be a pointless call though, as seemingly the CS folks have the ability to sort nuffink)

8 hours ago, manolitolondres said:

How easy is it to claim back VAT? I think I will pay for the fee and then claim back. I'm afraid that if the parcel is travelling back to Coininvest, I will be charged something.

Thanks for any advice

i'd like to know this as well. I would have done the same but I am sceptical that i'd ever see my money back...

On 09/04/2021 at 21:25, oooootini said:

My grief with UPS over the last couple of weeks....

Ordered some gold coins from goldsilver.be

Arrived in the UK after a made up delay, got an email asking for a VAT figure that seemed to have been worked out on a wooden calculator using their elbows.

In an attempt to get the charges removed, I spent far too long on the phone to either get call disconnected after an hr wait, or get through to someone who then advises to email another department. No chance, no response to ANY emails. (even including the uktrustpilot@ups.com email address they respond to every negative TrusPilot review with)

UPS "attempted" to deliver 3 times during this time, complete bullsh1t, i was in every time. Didn't even ring the bell.

I gave up and paid the VAT to get the package, and unsurprisingly they rung the bell this time and delivered, without a doubt only because no money was overdue.

The package arrived with no customs documentation to show calculations or the details needed to claim the VAT back.

Goldsilver.be had clearly included a commercial invoice with the correct import code and also a higlighted note stating "investment gold, VAT exempt". Completely ignored by UPS.

I'm now on my 6th email chase to try and get the customs docs that should have been with the package.

Complete scam artists and completely useless in every way.

Avoid UPS at all costs. It's been painful.

edit:

(if you need to call them, NEVER choose a department option, just hang on the line repeating "i hate UPS" or similar,  the call is then answered after the third fail to put you in a predetermined dead end queue. it will still be a pointless call though, as seemingly the CS folks have the ability to sort nuffink)

Thank you for updating. Would be interested in hearing if you do get it back I was thinking about making another gsbe order 

14 hours ago, longschlongsilver said:

update to this, after lots of waiting and emails the parcel turned up without the need to pay customs or fees. Took about 6 weeks to come from Germany to the UK lol

You should try EMK, low delivery charges and took 11 days from the day I ordered to arrive. Shipped with DHL but delivered by Parcelforce 🤷🏽‍♀️

Archived