• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Help required - Is this coin genuine? (1893 Victoria Crown)

UKcoinGuy

H,i I  have just started looking at older silver coins and have made my first purchase.  Already I'm not sure the coin is genuine?  My doubt is with the unclear T.B. marking as its seems small and as if there never was two initials? (in my inexperienced view!)   The seller states its genuine and could be due to mint / striking? 

Any advice from more experienced members would be much, much appreciated.  It will be a good learning process for me!  

Many Thanks

Ps

I have not received the coin yet, it is being posted. 

Screenshot 2021-03-22 at 14.17.32.png

Screenshot 2021-03-22 at 14.17.54.png

Screenshot 2021-03-22 at 14.18.12.png

Screenshot 2021-03-22 at 14.18.24.png

Obviously it’s easier with a coin in hand - you can do a few simple tests such as size, weight, magnet etc - the T.B. was fine on these coins. Not proof one way or the other but I have merged your coin with a genuine coin to show the transition with wear for example. But I will reiterate the point, checking a picture is very difficult 

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks so much for taking the time with the video. The location the B does look like its in the right location and the "T" would have been worn down with perhaps a bad strike?

I will do the size, weight, magnet and ping test as well.

Screenshot 2021-03-22 at 14.18.37.png

1 hour ago, UKcoinGuy said:

H,i I  have just started looking at older silver coins and have made my first purchase.  Already I'm not sure the coin is genuine?  My doubt is with the unclear T.B. marking as its seems small and as if there never was two initials? (in my inexperienced view!)   The seller states its genuine and could be due to mint / striking? 

Any advice from more experienced members would be much, much appreciated.  It will be a good learning process for me!  

Many Thanks

Ps

I have not received the coin yet, it is being posted. 

It looks perfectly normal.

Chards

28 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

It looks perfectly normal.

Hi Lawrence.  Thanks for your opinion.  Its worrying when you don't have the experience and think you might have bought a fake coin.

50 minutes ago, Liam84 said:

I'd say it's a real one that's had quite a hard life, lots of drops and scrapes over 129 years is likely why. As suggested above though do your due diligence for peace of mind with all purchases 👍🏻

Hi Liam, Thank for letting me know.  Appreciated.  The coin only cost me £36 but did not want it to be fake.

21 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

Is that the real Neil Smith?

How are you doing?

Hello Lawrence,

I am keeping well thank you (touch wood). Trying to get through the boredom of not having shows to go to at the weekend, I never realised I actually enjoyed them until the last 12 months. I hope you are all keeping safe and well and looking forward to getting the shop back open to the public. 

4 hours ago, neilsmithcoins said:

Hello Lawrence,

I am keeping well thank you (touch wood). Trying to get through the boredom of not having shows to go to at the weekend, I never realised I actually enjoyed them until the last 12 months. I hope you are all keeping safe and well and looking forward to getting the shop back open to the public. 

I'm glad to hear you are well.

What's this about boredom? Most of our team have been running on the ragged edge all year trying to keep up. I'm the only one who has had it easy. Just because I'm 29, they don't think I should go into the office!

However, it will be good to get back to some kind of normality.

Chards

• 3 weeks later...

Archived