• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Storing silver bars: humidity and temperature?

longschlongsilver

2 hours ago, Robda1986 said:

Gold doesn't tarnish and as for the silver I don't worry too much about it but I do have silica bags in the safe

I have got this. It works much better than silica bags, in my experience. You easily see when it's used up (when all the white balls have disappeared and it all turned into liquid in the bottom part) and it lasts for months. 1 Pound at Poundstrecher or Poundland or one of these shops.

The Naked Truth......... | the tales,views & memories of a ...

2 hours ago, longschlongsilver said:

Does humidity and temperature have a big effect on storing Silver bars? I'm not too bothered about the look as long as they don't lose value through getting damaged..my current storage shows a reading of 5 celsius with 65% rh. Is this too damp? Also what about gold?

It won't get damaged per se.  Just less shiny and new looking which might reduce it's attractiveness for a sale in years to come.  I keep silver in Lock & Lock brand boxes code HPL 824.  They fit 6 mint tubes snugly and they are not made of any products which will cause tarnish.  They are airtite which prevents breathing in and out of the box.  I put in a couple of anti tarnish strips and a couple of silica moisture absorbers.  Once they've sucked out the sulphur the environment becomes very stable.  Long term storage.  My coins stored for 5 years like this look brand new.  Kept around 10 degrees.

New profile pic to support the current thing, because it's current year.

14 minutes ago, silversky said:

It won't get damaged per se.  Just less shiny and new looking which might reduce it's attractiveness for a sale in years to come.  I keep silver in Lock & Lock brand boxes code HPL 824.  They fit 6 mint tubes snugly and they are not made of any products which will cause tarnish.  They are airtite which prevents breathing in and out of the box.  I put in a couple of anti tarnish strips and a couple of silica moisture absorbers.  Once they've sucked out the sulphur the environment becomes very stable.  Long term storage.  My coins stored for 5 years like this look brand new.  Kept around 10 degrees.

I use the anti tarnish stripes as well. I even used to use anti tarnish bags for the monster boxes but because of the extra thickness, with them they are so tight that I have stopped using them apart from for the airtite tubes.

24 minutes ago, silenceissilver said:

I use the anti tarnish stripes as well. I even used to use anti tarnish bags for the monster boxes but because of the extra thickness, with them they are so tight that I have stopped using them apart from for the airtite tubes.

I take them out of the monster boxes.  These lock & lock boxes fit beautifully and stack nicely.  Fit a couple of moisture absorbers and some anti tarnish strips inside each box and that's six sealed up in their own environment.  Definitely worth the small effort and cost to have non milked non tarnished coins years later when you get them out of storage.

New profile pic to support the current thing, because it's current year.

21 minutes ago, silversky said:

I take them out of the monster boxes.  These lock & lock boxes fit beautifully and stack nicely.  Fit a couple of moisture absorbers and some anti tarnish strips inside each box and that's six sealed up in their own environment.  Definitely worth the small effort and cost to have non milked non tarnished coins years later when you get them out of storage.

These kind of boxes? They didn't even come to my mind when I thought about storage but I think might actually get them as well. HPL 824. is for Britannia tubes?

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.Wqq0epuEQTWUv4HVsVcH8wHaHa%26pid%3DApi&f=1

53 minutes ago, kimchi said:

Do monster boxes cause any problems if sealed? Not heard of that before!

At least the Britannia monster boxes are certainly not as air tight as these lock & lock boxes. The monster boxes didn't cause me problems apart from being too wide within the safe, if inside these anti tarnish bags that add additional width. I would need to get them out now which I won't but the Kangaroo monster boxes might have lids that sit on the box a bit tighter than the Britannia boxes. 

INCOMPARABLE ANTI-TARNISH ZIPPED SILVER STORAGE BAG - Town ...

I keep my silver in capsules, then put them in a vacuumsealed bag and then in a closed storage box with a bunch of silicabags in it. If you are storing bullion silver, it really doesn’t matter because even if tarnished, they still hold their silver value. Silver that demanded a (hefty) premium in purchase are more risky as tarnish/milkspots will affect their value with the risk of losing the premium you paid.

That being said, I’ve heard/read on this forum that if you have bad luck and bought a batch of silver that has potential to get milkspots, there is nothing you can do to stop that process of taking place. They rarely appear on bars, mostly on coins.

Gold can get so called ‘red spots’ but I think the chances of this happening is very slim.

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong.

• Founder & Administrator

You can also get bags like these: http://shop.coinarmour.com/main.sc 

They are based in the USA. I am not sure if they have a UK or EU distributor.

But I have 5 of these bags that I am not using. If anyone would like them for FREE pease send me a private message, I will send them to the first member to private message me and also add in a TSF badge :) I will cover the postage. (Note that they have a few creases in and are used, so not new and unused)

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Archived