• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Grading

CollectorNo1

Hello all

Can someone advise me about grading coins!!!! I have a few that I am thinking of sending off for grading but seems like a minefield..

I'd rather get them graded in the uk, preferably by NGC but is this possible?

I've done some research but it's all a bit confusing...I'd appreciate some advice please...

Regards..

Echoing @GoldStatue that @Numistacker is your guy. He now has a website with all the info you need and submission process https://www.thenumistacker.com. One thing to be aware of, all NGC and PCGS grading is done in the US. NGC have an office here but they don't grade, they just collate UK submissions and send them over to NGC in the US for grading

Looking for 1981 and 1983-1984 GOLD Ghanaian coins

14 hours ago, CollectorNo1 said:

So what your saying it's more expensive using a third party?????

That is going to depend on how many coins you want to get graded.

If you do it yourself you have to join NGC (or PCGS) which comes with an upfront cost.  I can't remember what it is but it put me off.

Against that you can get a number of free (reduced fee?) coin gradings so if you are you are grading enough coins you recoup the upfront fee.  Again I can't remember how many coins this covers but the figure 12 rings a bell. I am sure someone will correct me.

And of course if you do it yourself you'll have to learn how to fill in the forms and decide what category your coin falls into - not as easy as it sounds.

Finally you have a similar thread in the silver forum - it is obviously more cost effective to grade gold coins than silver ones as the grading fees are typically a much smaller percentage of the value of the coin. 

18 hours ago, CollectorNo1 said:

So what your saying it's more expensive using a third party?????

3 hours ago, Seasider said:

That is going to depend on how many coins you want to get graded.

If you do it yourself you have to join NGC (or PCGS) which comes with an upfront cost.  I can't remember what it is but it put me off.

Against that you can get a number of free (reduced fee?) coin gradings so if you are you are grading enough coins you recoup the upfront fee.  Again I can't remember how many coins this covers but the figure 12 rings a bell. I am sure someone will correct me.

And of course if you do it yourself you'll have to learn how to fill in the forms and decide what category your coin falls into - not as easy as it sounds.

Finally you have a similar thread in the silver forum - it is obviously more cost effective to grade gold coins than silver ones as the grading fees are typically a much smaller percentage of the value of the coin. 

The cheapest way is to grade yourself, but that entails learning how to fill in the forms etc. However, it isn't difficult, you just need to take care.

Using a third party such as Numi is easiest and will probably be the cheapest if you're only submitting the odd coin or two.

The main problem with DIY is getting your coins to and from London, assuming you go down the NGC route, which is also easier and cheaper than PCGS. If you are able to get to central London easily and economically, DIY is a doddle and easily the most cost effective. If you can't get to London personally, it gets more expensive. You can send them in to NGC by RM SD but the only return shipping available is by Malca Amit which works out expensive, starting at around £50 I think, but is fully insured.

The cheapest NGC membership that enables you to submt yourself costs $149 (currently £113) but for that you get £120 grading credit. So, assuming you're going to submit more than 6 coins or so, you're in credit.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Thanks..I'm relatively new to coin collecting..I only have a few I want graded so will Numistacker..maybe in the future I will look at grading myself but for that to happen will take time..money..and coins haha..

Thanks for the advice though appreciate it very much..

Archived