• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold coin sale on eBay

Jeffers46

Hello all,

I sold my wallace and gromit gold proof today on eBay. I am suddenly very worried about being scammed. Should i post the item to the buyer or cancel the sale?

Buyer joined in july and has 17 score on positive feedback.  

Any advice here welcome, i have 3 working days to post it.

I wish i had listed it here now

Video the boxing of the item too. It can be a bit of a carry on to do this, but it will at least provide evidence that you put the right coin into the box etc. Confirm that this is what you have done when you send the item as they can then video the unboxing if they wish. I video boxings and unboxings of everything (PM related) that I buy and sell. It's habit for me now and gets easier the more you do it. 

+ 1 to the advice given by @AndrewSL76

This exact issue reared it’s head for me when I flipped the gold Brexit 50p. The buyer tried to claim I hadn’t included the COA with it so as to gain a partial refund.

Prior to posting I filmed In one continuous shot the weighing and packaging of each component of the item and the weighing of the item once it was completely packaged - checking this matched the weight detailed on my Royal Mail receipt when posted.

Upon receipt of his scam claim I sent him screen shots of my packaging video showing the COA being included and weighed. Funnily enough I heard nothing more from the scum bag once I had done this. In the end while my method was no means fool proof, I was sufficiently protected, kept the money and proceeded to report them to ebay. 

Also make sure you post to the address provided from PayPal/eBay. If they message you trying to modify the address it’s an immediate red flag for a scam as you won’t have sellers protection.

Good luck

Shep

I will certainly film it.

alarm bells started ringing as i got a strange message on the seller portal on ebay: There is a problem with the delivery address. Please amend this by clicking here.

There is a problem with the second line of his address, it contains a lot of random letters??

For some reason, lately the addresses that Ebay provide include their own codes/references. I have been writing out addresses recently and ignoring that section. Use the address that PayPal provide is the best advice I can give. Usually this is the address given by Ebay but without that line of reference numbering/lettering.

Cheers.

It’s why I buy in the forum.  

Just to repeat a story I posted before....

I sent a TSF member cash via RM SD in payment for a purchase - a couple of Sovereigns.  

The TSF member sent me the Sovs but the cash didn’t arrive by SD despite being signed for.    I immediately offered to send cash by BT to “make him right”.  He refused and said let’s see if it arrives.  

A couple of days later it did arrive - my SD letter had been mis-delivered and signed for by one of his neighbours.

Trust and integrity are what you find here.  

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

Yesterday I messaged him on eBay letting him know my concerns about posting to the address given and if he would update it...   now I probably look like a scammer! 

There is still no response. If I had just bought an expensive coin I would be checking for messages and replying.

11 hours ago, Jeffers46 said:

Yesterday I messaged him on eBay letting him know my concerns about posting to the address given and if he would update it...   now I probably look like a scammer! 

There is still no response. If I had just bought an expensive coin I would be checking for messages and replying.

As a seller on eBay if your not 100% happy you can cancel the sale and select the reason as “buyer asked to cancel” which then will stop the buyer from being able to leave you negative feedback on your account. 

1 hour ago, Hunter87 said:

As a seller on eBay if your not 100% happy you can cancel the sale and select the reason as “buyer asked to cancel” which then will stop the buyer from being able to leave you negative feedback on your account. 

Can't ebay check that's the reason if the buyer queries this?

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

I got a reply this morning, the strange line on the address is a code for the click and collect option the buyer selected.  Not sure I would do that, it was at a newsagents! 

I also checked with eBay that I would be covered under the seller protection policy- I would be and they were great- they called me within 1 minute and confirmed, and then sent in writing.

Then I got a notification that the buyer had left positive feedback- before I had even posted it.

So, some things remain strange but on the whole it seems to have gone ok. I used a £1 selling fee deal and already have withdrawn from Paypal.

On 15/10/2020 at 14:43, AndrewSL76 said:

Video the boxing of the item too. It can be a bit of a carry on to do this, but it will at least provide evidence that you put the right coin into the box etc. Confirm that this is what you have done when you send the item as they can then video the unboxing if they wish. I video boxings and unboxings of everything (PM related) that I buy and sell. It's habit for me now and gets easier the more you do it. 

Did this as well.

Thank you.

Archived