• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

UK Govt to review CGT & potentially decrease allowance

This just in:

https://www.ft.com/content/4ab1e675-bae4-4ff1-a0af-4b678a415ea3

Expert:

“With UK borrowing set to hit its highest level in peacetime history, chancellor Rishi Sunak’s request for a review of CGT feels like the starting pistol for a tax grab ahead of the Autumn Budget later this year,” said Tom Selby, senior analyst at platform AJ Bell. Mr Sunak could be contemplating aligning CGT rates with income tax rates as doing so would both simplify the tax system and raise additional funds, especially, if the annual CGT exemption of £12,300 is cut or abolished, Mr Selby said.

Will be really pissed if they cut CGT

Thats why I will be just stacking Brits!

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

A CGT rise would be politically acceptable, affects those with money more, aligning to income tax would widely be seen as fair.  Would be surprised if they altered the allowance though. Money will come from somewhere, this is as good a place to start. 

9 hours ago, HerefordBullyun said:

Thats why I will be just stacking Brits!

Doesn't make you safe, they could revoke the GCT free status of gold brits and we have seen before when they change the tax rules they apply it to everyone, even if you bought/made decisions under old rules. 

1 hour ago, Arongoldprog said:

Doesn't make you safe, they could revoke the GCT free status of gold brits and we have seen before when they change the tax rules they apply it to everyone, even if you bought/made decisions under old rules. 

Dear mr HMRC - Aint got any left sorry - flogged em to guy in the pub 😉 and forget to get a receipt ! 👍

50 minutes ago, 5huggy said:

Dear mr HMRC - Aint got any left sorry - flogged em to guy in the pub 😉 and forget to get a receipt ! 👍

Mr HMRC: Thank you for your time Mr 5huggy.  We will mark-to-market and calculate you owe us this amount, to be paid by this date. 

2 minutes ago, Martlet said:

Mr HMRC: Thank you for your time Mr 5huggy.  We will mark-to-market and calculate you owe us this amount, to be paid by this date. 

But you need to show and PROVE  how much I have held! or see you in court 😉🤣

4 minutes ago, Goldhooked said:

With HMRC, isn't it that YOU have to prove them wrong, rather than them having to prove they are right? 🤷‍♂️

Correct! I know this from experience, unfortunately.

4 hours ago, Goldhooked said:

With HMRC, isn't it that YOU have to prove them wrong, rather than them having to prove they are right? 🤷‍♂️

BUT  - I "CAN SHOW" I have non in my house! 👌😜😉👍

2 hours ago, 5huggy said:

BUT  - I "CAN SHOW" I have non in my house! 👌😜😉👍

The problem is it could be the case that if HMRC say they believe you did have some and they believe you sold them for £x profit (some arbitrary figure they come up with), you would have to prove that you didn’t have any, or at least didn’t make as much profit as they say you did.  If you can’t prove otherwise you would have to hope that a court believes you over HMRC.

Let’s see if ISAs stay 100% tax free now.

Pension tax breaks too. 😱 

Plenty they can hammer before they touch income tax and P155 Off their newly acquired ex-Labour voters.

Also, much easier than trying to track down physical gold purchases and sales.

That’s my issue with investing for tax benefits that could quickly change.

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

11 minutes ago, MancunianStacker said:

Plenty they can hammer before they touch income tax and P155 Off their newly acquired ex-Labour voters.

They've been reducing the pension tax breaks for a while. Bound to continue. Cash ISA have been pointless for a decade but stocks and shares are ripe for a raid.

No point trying to track physical gold already bought. Much easier to remove tax breaks and/or make all sales go through registered dealers who apply an appropriate tax. 

8 minutes ago, MancunianStacker said:

Cant see them touching ISA's they are aimed at encouraging small savers, at the outside lowering limit, maybe a life time limit.

Pension relief was in the sights of Javid and apparently done for him... or he didnt want to do it?  Never quite worked out which way it was supposed to be.  Aligning the relief to income correctly, effectively removing the 40% relief, would raise a double digit billions, no complaints from the masses and those affected wold carry on saving for retirement. If they are going for flat taxes with CGT, pensions should be right behind. 

11 minutes ago, Martlet said:

Cant see them touching ISA's they are aimed at encouraging small savers, at the outside lowering limit, maybe a life time limit.

Cash ISAs I agree but there are plenty of clients with 100s of thousands saved in S&S ISAs they could tax at a few percent.

A shovel load of 💩 coming our way for the next 10 years I feel.

22 minutes ago, BrumChris said:

You'll be lucky. This will take 25 years at least to pay back. 

Sorry I missed the extra zero, I meant 💯 😉 (or do I mean 250??). 😂 

Archived