• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sigma Metalytics - the one test to rule them all?

Starting to seriously consider picking one of these Sigma Metalytics machines up. At first the cost seemed too much relative to my stack, but on reflection I think it's something that will be a valuable tool for years to come. Leaning towards the original version currently (lower cost).

I know lots of folk on the forum own these, so had a few questions that I was hoping for help with! 

1. Any interesting stories of things you've found using one of these? 
  2. The original model versus the newer pro model - it seems the main difference is the measurement of size. On assumption I'm willing to do that using calipers the old fashioned way, is there any other notable benefit in one over the other? 
  3. Is it really as easy to use and reliable as the YouTube videos make out? Ever had issues? My understanding is combining the Sigma test alongside a weight measurement and a dimensions check is pretty much foolproof. 
  4. Will it work for small coins (e.g. half sovereign)? 
  5. Will it go right the way through when testing coins up to 1oz in weight? I appreciate for chunky bars it won't go all the way through. 
  6. I've seen GoldScreen have an alternative product although it's similarly priced. Is Sigma the one to go for or are there better options? 
  7. Lucky number 7, last but not least - Where's the best place to buy one at a decent price? (I'm in the UK) 

For anyone else considering one, feel free to add your questions to the thread! 

Massive thanks upfront for anyone that can share some wisdom 🙂

1) No

2) I have bought the pro version because it measures all the way through the coins (small bars), the non pro version only so deep, I can't remember, maybe a quarter mm?

3) It is, however I managed to overlook the attached calibration disc (for the calibration of thickness) for a long time. Sometimes I'm annoyed it does work properly only with one of the two sensors, depending on the size of the coin. Thus, small coins don't always work properly under the bigger sensor but mostly that was due to the fact that I didn't have it calibrated for too long, I guess. Why does this matter? With the pro, there are two sensors at each sensor, one internal one and one above the coin, building a bridge around it, and the space for the smaller sensor is not big enough for capsules or holders.

4) Yes. The smallest coin I have is just over a tenth of an ounce,  a 10 Corona coin, the biggest ones one ounce (gold)/two ounces (silver), both work. The one ounce coins under the bigger sensor, the rest under the smaller one.

5) Yes

6) I only have the Sigma, so I can't compare it from own experience but there is gold analytics. Also see this thread about it:

I'm in the UK too, I had it imported from the US. It was sitting at customs for several weeks, that was quite annoying but it can also go through much quicker. It's a lottery with customs.

There is also a Slovenian site, selling it, too. As far as I know that's it for Europe, unless you buy a used one privately on Ebay or wherever. Personally, I try and avoid second hand electronics.

What else? There is a so-called bridge, a kind af attached very big sensor, for big bars. I don't need it, I have not bought it. Even for my silver, my biggest piece is two ounces, I'm not a PM bar guy.

Would I buy it again? Yes, no question

Why did I buy it in the first place? My very first gold coin was a fake (plated), I found out before I bought the Sigma, but it was a pain in the butt, specific gravity test, no certainty because of a lack of reference at the time, etc. Also I got tired of doing a specific gravity test for every new sovereign or other coin. Plus by now I have acutally once tried a specific gravity test again and it very much seems my cheap scale would need to be recalibrated but as it's cheap, you can't do it properly, just pushing a button on zeroing it doesn't seem to do the job properly.

Upper bar: The outer layer (you only have this one a the non pro version)

Lower bar: Measured all the way through.

Green: No fake

Orange: Questionable (you don't really get this, it's green or red in practice)

Red: Fake

What else: Measuring the dimensions - I have never bothered to do this with the Sigma

P1030402.JPG

Edited by silenceissilver

5 minutes ago, Melon said:

@silenceissilver thank you for the very detailed response, loads of great info in here :)👍

That makes a good case for the pro version to have the alternate sensor sizes! 

Hey buddy @Melon - I have knowledge of two other members who are after one of these as well as myself!

I have suggested and made them aware that I am due to go to USA (Las Vegas) in September - IF THIS CRUD dies down that is!

It could be a possible case of an arranged bulk purchase as a possibility and negotiate a bulk discount!

its a WIP at the moment!

interested?? 

4 minutes ago, 5huggy said:

Hey buddy @Melon - I have knowledge of two other members who are after one of these as well as myself!

I have suggested and made them aware that I am due to go to USA (Las Vegas) in September - IF THIS CRUD dies down that is!

It could be a possible case of an arranged bulk purchase as a possibility and negotiate a bulk discount!

its a WIP at the moment!

interested?? 

Very interested mate. Definitely keen to get involved if this goes ahead, cheers for letting me know! 🙂 

Fingers crossed for your Vegas trip as well, it's on my wish list of places to visit 🤞

1 minute ago, Melon said:

Very interested mate. Definitely keen to get involved if this goes ahead, cheers for letting me know! 🙂 

Fingers crossed for your Vegas trip as well, it's on my wish list of places to visit 🤞

I will add you name to my mini list of names interested and keep you informed!👍 - -  -name added!

Im hoping the vegas goes ahead too - its for sons "Stag do"  he's dying to go! 

@5huggy - also interested in any group-buy option.

I actually had "bought" one of these from Sigma Metalytics, a few months back, but the bank blocked the transaction and I failed the online banking security questions to release the payment. That delay saw me spend the cash on more gold - kinda regret that decision! :) 

24 minutes ago, Darr3nG said:

@5huggy - also interested in any group-buy option.

I actually had "bought" one of these from Sigma Metalytics, a few months back, but the bank blocked the transaction and I failed the online banking security questions to release the payment. That delay saw me spend the cash on more gold - kinda regret that decision! :) 

@Darr3nG - also added to mailing list! 👍

Just now, werewolf said:

@5huggy I am interested in this too. I gather it's the original model in discussion, not the pro one. That one would be out of my league in terms of price.

@werewolf your added to my mailing list buddy! 👍

It is likely to be the Normal as a bulk buy - but negotiations will be ongoing and ALL on my list will be informed , at the relevant time as to what / when/where? how /who etc etc etc

There is NO commitment at this point from anyone !

Purely , as I don't know if by September the trip will go ahead! However  it WILL occur at some point - its paid for and agreed and INSURED to happen

SO - - we might as well ALL try to see if I cannot get us a DEAL whilst there !

Maybe even arrange to meet any US members nearby - who knows !?

I will keep those on my personal mailing list informed when I have proper info to provide and will be done by PM via the FORUM! 👍

25 minutes ago, Melon said:

At this point we may have to crowd fund @5huggy for an extra suitcase allowance on the plane 😆

I was beginning to wonder how he is planning to ship these. He'll have to leave all his clothes in the states.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

33 minutes ago, werewolf said:

Is there any chance these might skip customs in the UK ?🙂..If not, other than VAT , would there be anything else to pay in UK customs ?

My intention is to "carry" them personally in my luggage! 

So to let the "SECRET" out! 🙄 - -

There are 9 of us going on son's stag do! - that's 1 per luggage case coming back - so the max I can go for is 9!   🤫🤐

So Steve is not quite right about me coming home in the "NUDE"!🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Hello! Any updates on this endeavor ?

I know we're 3 months away, but we should note that the PMV-original is 660 $ right now. And 4 weeks estimate for shipping. A whole month.

https://buysigmametalytics.com/products/sigma-metalytics-precious-metal-verifier-basic-set

Prices in the US are so good...the other site that sells it in Europe has a huge price for it...What a shame...😔

https://www.sigma-verifiers.com/en/buy/original-precious-metal-verifier

6 minutes ago, werewolf said:

Hello! Any updates on this endeavor ?

I know we're 3 months away, but we should note that the PMV-original is 660 $ right now. And 4 weeks estimate for shipping. A whole month.

https://buysigmametalytics.com/products/sigma-metalytics-precious-metal-verifier-basic-set

Prices in the US are so good...the other site that sells it in Europe has a huge price for it...What a shame...😔

https://www.sigma-verifiers.com/en/buy/original-precious-metal-verifier

@werewolf    SO what info - do you want to KNOW!? ? 

As it stands buddy 😉  - - NO flights of any description are occurring "ANYTIME SOON"  -

so that's a bit of an issue, to actually pick up "ANYTHING"  - - physically,  - - -since - If I don't get there until a later date - then it WILL NOT happen - "UNTIL THEN"!

When I have further clarification as to travel to the USA from UK  - - - I will inform those on my mailing list😉👍( you are on this!)

I kinda get the "gist" cos peeps will be needing to "ENSURE" the fiat funds are ready and available - - "to GO" so to speak! 

ALL I can say at this stage is - - - > >  >"PATIENCE is a VIRTUE"! 😉

I can "PROMISE" you /all -  the minute I know that this is a "GO" you will be informed as to what,when and where  -- ! 👌

Following  on from last post to @werewolf - I would like/appreciate to KNOW what each of the "committed participants " - - listed below

Which/what model - each individual - is "WANTING" to be sourced  ! ? 👍

Please either reply via this thread or PM! (5huggy) - 

or "Minion" at "BANANAVIL" , somewhere near Here! 😉🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Trailer Ok GIF -

Participants listed are - -> >

@Johnrms
@sovereignsteve
@Melon
@Darr3nG
@tafftoo
@werewolf