• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Dust or damage on this sovereign, opinions please?

sovtsf

Hi all, 

Looking for some opinions on this proof sovereign I brought recently, I cant tell if it has dust or a mark between the 'R' and 'A'? I would like it graded if I keep it and this is the only imperfection.

I don't have much experience which is why I am asking incase anyone has seen anything similar? It's very hard for me to tell and only want to send it off if I at least have a chance of a 70. 

I have used an air puffer but it's not made any difference. I would get it conserved if I send it off hoping this is rectified. 

Thanks in advance!
Ben

image.png.b2e9cf4eefeda6bd31febde188952cdb.png

I’m no expert but looks like a small scratch to me based off the colour variation and notice how it creeps on to the R like something has caught it. I’m sure other members will have a better idea.

5 minutes ago, matt1r said:

I’m no expert but looks like a small scratch to me based off the colour variation and notice how it creeps on to the R like something has caught it. I’m sure other members will have a better idea.

Thanks for your thoughts, I didn't notice that on the R. I think you maybe right there. 😬

1 minute ago, Xander said:

It definitely looks like a scratch, not sure if NCS conserving it would improve it enough to grade it 70.

Can conservation improve scratches like this then? I has assumed it wouldn't if it was a scratch but then its the first time Im looking to grade some coins.

1 minute ago, sovtsf said:

Can conservation improve scratches like this then? I has assumed it wouldn't if it was a scratch but then its the first time Im looking to grade some coins.

Not sure if conserving it would guarantee a 70, it has to be pretty much perfect.

I had a Sovereign with a slight scratch, sent it to NCS, NGC it came back 68, so wan't really worth the bother or the cost.

Numistacker will give you good advice about grading coins. 

1 minute ago, Xander said:

Not sure if conserving it would guarantee a 70, it has to be pretty much perfect.

I had a Sovereign with a slight scratch, sent it to NCS, NGC it came back 68, so wan't really worth the bother or the cost.

Numistacker will give you good advice about grading coins. 

Thank you, I asked Numistacker as I am going to send my first batch of coins to him and he wasn't sure if it was damage or not from the pic.

I have a few coins I'm unsure about sending out of about 8 and this being one. 

To the naked eye its very hard to spot.

41 minutes ago, sovtsf said:

To the naked eye its very hard to spot

Once NGC put it under the Loupe it will show up. I suppose it's a chance we take when grading, 70 being the magic number.

I have been disappointed a few times.

1 hour ago, sovtsf said:

No.

'Conservation' (cleaning) can only take away what should not be on the coin, it can't fix scratches etc.

That looks like a scratch to me... If so I think it would grade at 69 at best, assuming the rest of the coin is ok. Conservation will do nothing for a scratch or scuff. 

1817.co.uk | Home of Britain's finest modern gold Sovereigns

www.1817.co.uk | karl@1817.co.uk | www.facebook.com/1817SovereignCollector

27 minutes ago, 1817Karl said:

That looks like a scratch to me... If so I think it would grade at 69 at best, assuming the rest of the coin is ok. Conservation will do nothing for a scratch or scuff. 

Yeah the rest is pristine,  I brought it as a pristine example and even then knew it might not get a 70 but I at least want a chance if Im going to send it in so don't think I will. 

Archived