• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Annoying coppery scratch mark on new coin.

HerculeHolmes

I guess you get what you pay for; this 10oz Black Bull of Clarence was £20 - £25 less from Goldsilver.be than from the UK, but it's got a strange copper-colour mark that I think is a scratch. I thought it was a hair at first. It's not big, but it jumps out at you. Is there a way to remove it?

IMG_0700.JPG

IMG_0698.JPG

18 minutes ago, HerculeHolmes said:

Is there a way to remove it?

Yup BYB has a great method, just sent the coin to him and he will return a great  ripple bar.

Kidding aside, you should take the coin to a PM dealer and check it (if you are not able to do so at home).

8 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

That's worrying. Is the size and weight correct?

I think the color might be an optical illusion; the mark is invisible looking straight-on but from any other angle it "pops out". A dent perhaps?

It's 10mm long.

2 hours ago, Milkyo said:

That's pretty terrible. Good luck dealing  with the nice folks at Goldsilver.be 😬

I'm hoping it's just a mark that can be cleaned off. It's very difficult to get a clear look at it; it could be a mark or it could be damage.

I could ask Goldsilver.be for a discount rather than send the coin back, I don't know if they'd help though.

1 hour ago, HerculeHolmes said:

I'm hoping it's just a mark that can be cleaned off. It's very difficult to get a clear look at it; it could be a mark or it could be damage.

I could ask Goldsilver.be for a discount rather than send the coin back, I don't know if they'd help though.

You would want to thread carefully given what I have read about their attitudes to some customers who complain.  

In saying that, you really should  as its not 100% and I'm sure there are many people who have had items replaced by them without problems. 

That mark looks really bad in the photos you have posted. It couldn't possible left the mint like that due to the quality processes they have in place so where did it pick it up? Looks like a scratch to me but I am not an expert, strange colour too.

4 hours ago, davehard24 said:

That mark looks really bad in the photos you have posted. It couldn't possible left the mint like that due to the quality processes they have in place so where did it pick it up? Looks like a scratch to me but I am not an expert, strange colour too.

I'll have another look at it tomorrow. If I take a maximum resolution macro photo I should be able to see for sure whether it's a scratch or just some kind of stain. It does look like a scratch, but I can't feel anything with my fingernail. With a bit of luck it'll turn out to be nothing.

On 30/04/2020 at 12:57, sovereignsteve said:

That's worrying. Is the size and weight correct?

Do you think there are already counterfeit Queen's Beasts coins? 

This one looks either like a dirty scratch or some kind of stain. My bet is one the second option, since it doesn't seem to go through the "chainmail" texture of the coin. 

Maybe it picked up a bit of poo or something if it wasn't handled with a 100% care and attention as it was taken from it's stack and added to the capsule. You say you can't feel it with your fingernail so assume you've had it out of the capsule and poked it? Whilst it's out have you got a magnifier/loupe you can spy through? It doesn't look like it's a dent/scratch from the photo, but then it is hard to be sure. Maybe try gently dislodging it with the end of a cocktail stick that's been soaked in water? Use much trepidation and steadiness of hand. Just a suggestion, feel free to ignore me. 

Send the pictures to the dealer. I had a 10 oz with a tiny nick in it that was obviously due to the way they are stacked and moved around. Most would likely not see it/ignore it but marks on new metal annoy me even if it's bullion so I asked about it. I got an apology along with an explanation that it was quite common to the degree showing on my coin due to handling and the Royal Mint quality control in general... They gave me a £10 shipping discount by way of apology. Considering they were nice, I will end up buying from them again (when premiums come down) and it would have cost me to send it back to the continent with no stock to replace it I thought that was reasonable. 

It was a different dealer but a very minor mark compared to yours. Gotta be worth saying something.

Archived