• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

GOLD ETFs/ETCs

AuricGoldfinger

ETC is an Exchange Traded Commodity. I use iShares Physical Gold ETC in my HL. 0.19% ongoing charge.

As much as I love collecting physical metals, it has been a good and easy way to balance my metal holdings. 

The factsheet says: 'The ETC seeks to track the return of the gold spot price.' 'The metal backing the securities are always physically held.'

Thats what i like about it, can be easily bought and sold. Im all for the physical as something that you intend to keep hold of permanently in your portfolio but ETCs seem like the best way to move money in and out of gold especially in these times of crisis. I really like the look of the Royal Mint on so think I’m going to go for that

On 25/03/2020 at 22:11, AuricGoldfinger said:

Whats the best way to buy gold through my H&L S&S ISA? I assumed ETFs but seems to be ETCs not entirely sure the difference or which to go for - any help would be much appreciated!

I have a HL account, and use it frequently to buy gold related investment products. A straight play on gold mining ETF’s can be done using GDGB. This can be traded real-time like a share but beware😱.

The spread on this used to be minimal (less than half a percent) but now has widened to over 4% making it too expensive to use day trading. I also got this horror message one day this week:-

96083EDC-04A0-491C-AA50-CBC02A63809C.thumb.jpeg.ce728b5e143c7b39aea28f902f408045.jpeg

Basically, I couldn’t get a fixed price to sell! ..And I wasn’t going to use a fill or kill order either. A few hours later the situation was resolved and I was able to take profits..but that was a warning shot...if you don’t hold it, you don’t own it. The volatility in all markets at the moment make things very tricky.

For a longer term play on gold (core investment) I find Investec Global Gold to be very good. BUT..if you want to sell it takes 24 hours for the trade to go through...sometimes longer for other funds. 

If you are off the spectrum when it comes to taking risk (like playing Russian Roulette)  there is always the CFD market (I use Capital.com) where you can trade on the margin using leverage...but I really would leave that alone unless you are a very experienced trader.

Hole that helps!

AUCP is an alternative to GDBG for gold miners. AUCP is also London-listed, and although it is about the same size, it appears to be much more liquid. High liquidity is a good thing with funds, just as it is with stocks. Of course, GDX is a monster compared with either.

Archived