• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Some advise on my silver purchase

Melon

Hi guys. Having just recently found out about silver-to-go on another thread (no VAT!) I've decided I must buy something  :D This is turning in to an expensive week given I just got stuck in on gold yesterday!

Any advise on which one to go for to kick me off? I like the idea of getting something that may have collector value in the long term, but pretty clueless about what that might be (if any). Given my budget, looking at either a single 1kg or a roll + 10oz initially. Appreciate any thoughts!

• Kookaburra, 1kg Silver, 2015 - £423
  • Lunar Goat, 1kg Silver, 2015 - £428
  • Koala, 1kg Silver, 2015 - £422
  • Britannia, 1oz Silver, 2015 x 20 - £275
  • Vienna Philharmonic, 1 oz silver, 2015 x 20 - £268
  • Kookaburra, 10oz Silver, 2015 - £138
  • Lunar Goat, 10oz Silver, 2015 - £138
  • Koala, 10oz Silver, 2015 - £132

Also is it worth chucking in a random lunar snake for an extra £23? It looks brilliant!

Thanks,

Melon

Don't buy anything until you've decided why you're buying and what your aims are.

Do your own research and you'll be able to answer your own questions.

There's plenty of info on this forum, certainly enough to get you going and into the position to make your first purchase.

Never buy anything just for the tax saving, goes for coins as well as investments such as ISAs etc.

I'll bet the vast majority of PM collectors/stackers wish they could go back and make their first purchases again, I know I do.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Koala, 1kg Silver, 2015 - £132  :)

I'm waiting for libertads. current good value coins include

2014 britannia horse privy, rcm polar bear.

there's no obvious choice as it's all down to personal

preference. having said that, philharmonics are unlikely

to suddenly command a good collectability premium as

it's mostly a stackers coin. also it could be difficult sell on

larger coins. you could consider starting small and get

a feel for what you like.

HH

Don't buy anything until you've decided why you're buying and what your aims are.

Do your own research and you'll be able to answer your own questions.

There's plenty of info on this forum, certainly enough to get you going and into the position to make your first purchase.

Never buy anything just for the tax saving, goes for coins as well as investments such as ISAs etc.

I'll bet the vast majority of PM collectors/stackers wish they could go back and make their first purchases again, I know I do.

Thanks for the response - valid points!

My main aim is enjoyment, but if you can enjoy things at a potential profit then why not? :)  I'm not investing much % wise so I think it's fair to say I'm not looking to stack, but neither am I going to go down the proofs route. Shiny bullion with increasing value potential sounds like my ballpark, and I think the options above may fit that category? I'll probably end up picking one series and buying it each year.

I've previously ruled out silver because with the VAT it's just so high above spot that it felt a bit of a waste. STG has brought it a lot closer to the mark for me.

Out of interest (/ to learn), what was it that you regret about your first purchases? Cheers

Koala, 1kg Silver, 2015 - £132  :)

I'm waiting for libertads. current good value coins include

2014 britannia horse privy, rcm polar bear.

there's no obvious choice as it's all down to personal

preference. having said that, philharmonics are unlikely

to suddenly command a good collectability premium as

it's mostly a stackers coin. also it could be difficult sell on

larger coins. you could consider starting small and get

a feel for what you like.

HH

Haha, oops! I wish!

The big coins just look fantastic, but you're right I should probably get a few small ones first. I do like the look of that polar bear coin actually, hadn't noticed it was 1.5oz before.

Lunars, Kookaburras, and Britannia's for me. i personally don't think you will go far wrong with the Perth mint Australian coins, China Pandas are also nice. So are a lot of the other coins.

I would image the 1kg coins are mega but the biggest coin I have is 10oz and I must admit they are impressive to hold in the hand.

If you can buy and odd few coins then you will see and feel first hand what they are like and make a better judgement next time you buy.

Good luck.

You state you are after collector value,

Perth mint

Pandas

Britannia's

Somali Elephants

Its up to you, dip your toe in first and get a few of each.

Maples, philharmonics, eagles, don,t have collectors value, they are bullion and stg is the cheapest place to buy them most of the time. So if the silver price goes up bullion does better if the price is flat or going down semi num do better.

I'm a Lunar fan! With the second series ongoing Choices are many with this PM offering. GOLD and SILVER, bu and proof, Sizes vary to suit any pocket 1/2 oz silver to the 1Tonne gold.

Easy start up coin that i have type sets, date runs for and even getting presentation cases for some.

Some of the canadian sets like the Birds of Prey look good and are only a four coin set so get some and if you don't like them it's four Bu coins to stack and if you do like them case them up to make the most of them.

polar bears are the same 38mm diameter as many rcm 1oz

bullion, just thicker. being rcm, the popular view is that their

chance of having milk spots is higher than that of other mints.

(they are 2013 coins, if you receive them from stg without milk spots

then their chance of getting milks spots after delivery is reduced.

ie they've had plenty of time to get milk spots, if they haven't

got milk spots yet, the chances are they probably won't get

any)

HH

• Founder & Administrator

If you would like something to collect each year with a changing design the kookaburras are nice in my opinion.

I wouldn't get a kilo or 10oz koala because they have changed the finish and they are now completely matte on these sizes, opposed to how the 1oz look with a combination of matte finish and shinny. Personally I feel that the koala coins of these sizes now look cheap.

The 1oz kookaburras are probably a better investment than the kilo, as will be easier to sell in the future and should gain more of a premium overall, even though they are more expensive per oz than buying a kilo. If you are selling direct to the buyer and not selling onto a dealer then you should get your premium back. The 1oz kooks come in sealed rolls of 20. And boxes of 5 rolls. (100 coins per box)

The kilo kooks are nice though. I also like the 10oz sizes (though not sure if I will continue to collect the 10oz or kilo koala) I will try to get this years kilo kook sometime towards the end of the year when I have more capital.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Archived