• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Elephant milk spotting?

ChrisSilver

• Founder & Administrator

Does anyone have any older somalian elephant coins, and do they have milk spots?

Someone told me today that they used to have a lot of 2011 and 2012 somalian elephants but sold them all after the majority of them developed milk spots. 

I bought a few elephants today before I heard about elephant milk spotting. If my bullion elephants develop milk spots it won't be the end of the world, I only bought a 2013 and 2014, but it will probably persuade me against buying the expensive previous year elephants. Which is a real shame as the designs look fantastic.

I sure hope the high relief elephants I bought don't have/develop any milk spots, that wouldn't be nice at all :(

I am wondering if it was just these 2011 and 2012 years that are effected, or do all somalian elephants suffer from milk spotting?

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Yes, i got some Elephants with milkspots. Both 2012 and 2013 if i remember correct. I would say that The Perth Mint is the way to go if you want to avoid the milk. :) But i do like the Elephants. Very nice coins, but i will not load up to much of them because of that.

Yes, i got some Elephants with milkspots. Both 2012 and 2013 if i remember correct. I would say that The Perth Mint is the way to go if you want to avoid the milk. :) But i do like the Elephants. Very nice coins, but i will not load up to much of them because of that.

Thanks silver_wox, and welcome to the forum :)

I bought a tube of the 2014 elephants, I think I will sell them in around a years time and reinvest the money back into Perth Mint stuff then. 

The majority of my stack is Perth Mint, I thought the elephants might have been a nice addition, but I will tread with caution if the spotted monster is around the corner. 

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers

50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Think this has put an end to our elephant plan Chris.

Yea. I think I won't buy huge amounts of current years, I still think they wont be as badly spotted as maples though. Maples have a fearsome reputation.

I will see what mine look like when I get them, I will still collect 1 of each future elephant release each year. Back dating them I am unsure about, might have to be done but after I have completed my series 2 lunars and found an 07 koala.

In terms of buying large quantities for long term investment though, I think that will have to be forgotten about. Stick with the kooks I think.

I will also probably collect the elephant high reliefs, although they are pricey. If they were to develop spots I would cry.  :unsure: 

I wish these mints would sort out this whole milk-spotting thing, I would have loved to of bought a few of those Canadian falcon coins but didn't because of this whole spot issue.  :angry: 

Discounts / Offers

For what it's worth I have several hundred Maples and only a couple are spotted.

I note that Apmex has occasionally listed spotted and scuffed coins for sale at discounted prices.

That makes me question the supplier(s) chain and who you buy from as you might be receiving reject coins.

Some people have horrible experiences so there is a genuine problem but does the RCM sell good and poor I wonder ?

I have some 2011 elephants and they are milk spotted, though some very lightly. Doesn't bother me too much, they are always going to be worth a couple of quid over spot. Worth hanging on to. I love the design on them, and the spots are very light.

I have some 2011 elephants and they are milk spotted, though some very lightly. Doesn't bother me too much, they are always going to be worth a couple of quid over spot. Worth hanging on to. I love the design on them, and the spots are very light.

That is a big shame.

Date run cancelled, I'll just take one each year from now.

Stacker since 2013

Are there any other series that are prone to spotting?

I know my Armenian Noah's spotted, so it's an unfortunately common issue.

Wildlife series, and probably the new Bird of prey series. Seen a spotted bird on another forum, i have 4 of them and they look perfect for now. But it´s RCM bullion coins and they are well known for developing milk spots. It´s the same with their 1,5 oz coins. Milk spots all the way.

Philharmonics also have much problems with milk spots.

Unfortunately i seen spots on the Rwanda coins also, but not as much as on the elephants though.

I also seen it on less popular coins like Andorra Eagle, Somaliland lunars, silver pegasus.

Pandas also have some problems with spots. But they are usually smaller and can be seen on the mirrored parts of the coin. And i think it´s less coins that get it so they are a favorite coin for me because they do fetch nice premiums and a smaller spot don´t take all the premium for what i have seen.

Coins that don´t have or tend to develop milk spots are The Perth Mint coins like the Kookaburra, Lunar, Koala. I don´t seen it so much on Eagles and Libertads either.

This is my thoughts, someone else might think otherwise. But to sum it up, i think the milk spot issue on silver coins generally are a big problem, and i go more for the coins with less milk spot problems, thats for sure.

Are there any other series that are prone to spotting?

I know my Armenian Noah's spotted, so it's an unfortunately common issue.

Nooo!! Seriously? I have a bunch of these which I have not laid eyes on for two years or so. I wonder if they are spotted? Hope not. I have a tube of 2012 1 Ozers, and tubes of the very low mintage 2011 1/2 and 1/4 ozers.

It's no good - I have to go and check them!!! You have me worried!!!! lol

Happy to report none of my coins are spotted! :) Phew!

• 2 years later...

i got 100 x 2015 Elephants.

i just got them out. i was dreading it.

39 of them have spotting or some smudge. There may be more but that is what i saw. Then 1 has some tarnishing.

i will never get these damned Elephants again.

Thankfully i got a special offer from Silver-to-Go and they worked out at £12 each. [Crickey i got a good deal]

Perhaps i will do some backyard bullion bars one day.

Out, damned spot! Out, I say!

Stick to good old Perth Mint now. Lots of nice silver coins from them. i know it does occasionally happen but at least it seems they are bothered about it.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

@sixgun If you want any of them melting down into some hand poured pieces let me know and we can do a deal and make you some fun pieces!

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

Well this is certainly something i have been thinking about. 

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

I don`t have this fear for spots. I bought some SE 2011, not particularly cheap either, one looked as if it had been in the dirt for years. I cleaned them and now they shines with the exceptions of one small spot on one of them.

Maybe my lack of spotophobia it is the childhood I spent helping my grandmother polish her silverware.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2014 at 10:34, ChrisSilver said:

Yea. I think I won't buy huge amounts of current years, I still think they wont be as badly spotted as maples though. Maples have a fearsome reputation.

I will see what mine look like when I get them, I will still collect 1 of each future elephant release each year. Back dating them I am unsure about, might have to be done but after I have completed my series 2 lunars and found an 07 koala.

In terms of buying large quantities for long term investment though, I think that will have to be forgotten about. Stick with the kooks I think.

I will also probably collect the elephant high reliefs, although they are pricey. If they were to develop spots I would cry.  :unsure: 

I wish these mints would sort out this whole milk-spotting thing, I would have loved to of bought a few of those Canadian falcon coins but didn't because of this whole spot issue.  :angry: 

You still might be able to collect a milk spot free series of these coins if you are able to find problem free coins.  For those older date coins if they were going to spot by now they would be spotted. If you were to find spot free coins from those years - chances are they will never spot.  This is seen a lot in American eagles.  All milk spotting occurs within the first few years.  If you can get past that - you should be good.

I hate milk spots

Archived