• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Hi from Greece!

mitsaras2003

Hello fellow forum members!

I am Dimitris from Greece and have just joined, after watching a video by Numistacker on YouTube who mentioned the forum.

My interest in precious metals began first out of the need for a safe investment in tough times - gold is a traditional "safe haven" in my country, but then my boyhood interest in collecting coins was rekindled...!

I am looking forward to learning more about pm's and hopefully making a few friends along the way!

Dimitris

• Founder & Administrator

Welcome to The Silver Forum Dimitris. :)

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

So what types of coins do you collect? And do you collect mainly gold coins or silver coin as well?

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers

50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Well, mainly I have gold coins, sovereigns and 20 francs, and I'm trying to organize two collections, a "Latin Union" with at least some of the countries represented (I understand that some have a very high premium due to rarity), and a collection of QE II sovereigns with all portraits and shields.

I didn't get into the Lunrar series early enough and now many are very hard to find, but at least I got the UK Lunars in time...!

Dimitris - welcome to the forum.  Nice to have someone onbaord from Greece.  

It would be good nice to have your opinions/input on Greece/Euro situation from someone living through it as it will no doubt be different to what we read/see on our newspapers/TV as we see the race to the bottom for most worldwide currencies 

Hi Paul! You really want to open a can of worms? hehehe!

We have come through about five years of recession and painful austerity, due to successive governments unable to break their ties with public employee unions and huge public works contractors (who also own TV stations & newspapers), only to vote in the most incompetent neo-Marxists... there is no hope for private sector small business, we have been taxed to the limit.

Unfortunately, it seems that EU policies also favor printing more fiat money (quantitive easing) than fixing the euro, so it seems we are screwed on every front! Add Putin to the mix, and things will get ...interesting soon!

Hi Paul! You really want to open a can of worms? hehehe!

We have come through about five years of recession and painful austerity, due to successive governments unable to break their ties with public employee unions and huge public works contractors (who also own TV stations & newspapers), only to vote in the most incompetent neo-Marxists... there is no hope for private sector small business, we have been taxed to the limit.

Unfortunately, it seems that EU policies also favor printing more fiat money (quantitive easing) than fixing the euro, so it seems we are screwed on every front! Add Putin to the mix, and things will get ...interesting soon!

Dimitris

What's the feeling in Greece about exiting the Euro (or the GREXIT as the popular press here seem to put it)?

Steve

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Hi Steve,

Realistically, the private sector wants to stay in the euro zone. After all, we have enjoyed the stability and ease of conducting business of a common currency, and we all remember the problems with the drachma - inflation, currency devaluations etc.

Unfortunately, many younger people think romantically of the old currency, and also some people with (so they think) "safe" salaries & pensions like public employees. They think we can print our way out of this mess and keep on living on others' expense...

There's a large body of opinion that says the only way forward for Greece long term is the exit the Euro, default on it's debt, devalue it's currency and basically start again.

They say it's completely impossible for Greece to pay back it's current debt within the constraints of the Euro economy even though, in theory you currently have a positive balance of payments, which would help you enormously if you did leave.

Other countries gave done it before and returned stronger than ever.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

That could work for a country that has some production capacity or natural resources. We have very little industrial production, we import pretty much everything from oil to food. Our main industry is tourism. With a constantly devalued national currency there would be little hope of ever getting out of the hole, even with all our debt wiped out the annual deficits would build it back in a few years. The only hope is to attract investment, with a stable, clear tax system, low tax rates & VAT, smaller more efficient government and less bureaucracy.

Which is exactly the opposite of what our current gov. want to do...

That could work for a country that has some production capacity or natural resources. We have very little industrial production, we import pretty much everything from oil to food. Our main industry is tourism. With a constantly devalued national currency there would be little hope of ever getting out of the hole, even with all our debt wiped out the annual deficits would build it back in a few years. The only hope is to attract investment, with a stable, clear tax system, low tax rates & VAT, smaller more efficient government and less bureaucracy.

Which is exactly the opposite of what our current gov. want to do...

Wouldn't a devalued currency encourage more tourism as it would be so cheap to go to Greece. And an increase in tourism eventually mean an increase in the value of the Drachma (if they go that way) I am sure long term Greece will be fine, it has so many beautiful islands, people will always want to visit. :)

Discounts / Offers

Archived