• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Canadian Bison 1 1/4 oz.

StackemHigh

Good question!! I've never really understood all the different animal series from RCM, I have a few because I liked the coin.

I make my own sets any way lol

I have the Wolf, the Bison and the Polar Bear as they are all odd sizes. So that's my 'set' lol

I also have the Cougar, just because I liked it, and the Moose, because it came with the Cougar!

I also have a bald eagle, it seems, which is part of yet another set. Not sure I want them all so might sell that come Spring.

Any way, what was the question? Ah yes, I remember! The truth is I have no idea, I just wanted to see if I could create the longest ever on topic message saying 'no' we have had yet on the forum! :D I'm not sure I have managed it, but I have run out of inspiration. :ph34r: :ph34r: :blink: :blink:

Long way to go for that honour I think some of the replies to and from some of Craig 12 posts for instance can go on a bit without hitting the nail

Ha ha your right! lol

Here: http://www.mint.ca/store/content/bullionProductDetails.jsp?itemId=prod1630044&cat=Products&nId=7400002&parentnId=1300002&nodeGroup=About+the+Mint

http://www.apmex.com/category/23400/rcm-silver-wildlife-seriesIntroduced in 2011, the Royal Canadian Mint's silver wildlife series of coins have become perennial market favourites. A total of six different Canadian wildlife species will be represented in finely crafted bullion coins, struck from the same 99.99 per cent pure silver as the Mint's world-famous Silver Maple Leaf bullion coins. The coins bear a face value of $5, and the obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, created in 2003 by Canadian portrait artist Susanna Blunt.

So it seems not.

RCM Silver Wildlife Series

Royal Canadian Mint Wildlife Silver Coins - With a limited mintage of only 1,000,000 each, these Wildlife Series Silver coins are scarce in the world of bullion! There were a total of six different Canadian wildlife designs released in three years: the Timber Wolf and Grizzly in 2011, the Cougar and Moose in 2012, and the Wood Bison and Pronghorn Antelope in 2013. With the .9999 fine Silver purity, $5 CAN face value, articulate wildlife design and low mintage, the Canadian Wildlife Series 1 oz Silver Coins are a hit with bullion enthusiasts and coin collectors alike!

http://www.apmex.com/category/23400/rcm-silver-wildlife-series

Just out of interest I have been having a dig.

For the polar bear coin there was talk of it being the first in their "Majestic Animals" series - but I can't find any mention of this series in any other articles. The Wolf and the Bison are both spoken about in reviews as a stand alone coin - at least, they are not spoken about as being art of any set as the other 6 coins in the Wildlife series always are. There seem to be several different wildlife series available at the RCM including animals such as deer, otters, Beavers, Lynx (In Ultra High Relief no less) There is loads of them. If I had the cash it might be nice to have one of each Canadian coin which had an animal or bird on, but that would be a lot of coins!!!! And I wonder what percentage of them would milk spot!?!?! O.o

I was very pleased with the 1.5 ounce Polar Bear and got a couple of tubes including capsules with the long term plan of unloading in the future.

When the Arctic Fox was announced I had hoped to build the series but the premiums were OTT so I don't even have a single Fox.

Wonder how the third coin will be priced and if this will bring the Fox closer to the Bear price - although I doubt it.

Really don't understand pricing as mintages were intended to be the same - does anyone know ?

I was very pleased with the 1.5 ounce Polar Bear and got a couple of tubes including capsules with the long term plan of unloading in the future.

When the Arctic Fox was announced I had hoped to build the series but the premiums were OTT so I don't even have a single Fox.

Wonder how the third coin will be priced and if this will bring the Fox closer to the Bear price - although I doubt it.

Really don't understand pricing as mintages were intended to be the same - does anyone know ?

The Arctic fox was different again. That was the 'Untamed Canada' series. Very poor value in my mind, 28 grams for CA$80!!! No Thanks!

Perhaps we should try and create a list of series:

Canadian Wildlife

Untamed Canada

Majestic Animals (?)

Birds of Prey

XX$ for XX$ series (If you want to call it that)

O Canada

Prehistoric animal series

Lunars

There are many more, I know, but these are all the ones with animals on as far as I know. Unless you want to include the ones with dinosaurs! lol :)

Perhaps the RCM will attempt to issue a series based on farm animals starting with the 'dairy cow' - appropriate for all their milk spotted coins.

As for the Wildlife series etc I collected all six and even purchased custom wooden boxes with the intention of selling complete sets.

During that time however, the price of silver plummeted and I would not even recover my costs if selling today - something for the distant future perhaps.

Just wondered if anyone was offering boxes for the other series e.g. Birds of Prey as I also intent to collect these as full sets.

I have a boxed set of wildlife series, the wolf was in great demand when series was running but at a 1m mintage market flooded a bit have some 1 1/2 once bears nice coins, perhaps the new bear and cub coin out may make a nice pair but personally stay away from RCM now because of the milk spot issue you can get them off with rubber and silver polish cloth but pain in the backside

• 3 weeks later...

Archived