• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Is there anyone who buys just for the silver ?

Hillbilly Sheep

I mean not for how nice the design is or to buy a collection, but just purely for the silver content.

If so, then you must look for the cheapest £/oz.

In a SHTF scenario would a collectors coin be worth the same as a non collectors if the silver content is the same ?

BTW, I'm going to be asking a whole lot of stupid questions over the next wee while, so be prepared !!!  ;-) 

Here is how it seems to go..Most start buying just for silver content, and then many learn that buying the right semi numismatic coins can give better results in profit terms than pure bullion..Then that leads to collecting coins. 

If you bought Canadian maples in 2011 you are down massively in value, if you bought pandas or Lunars then you paid extra at the time but retained a lot more value. 

With silver at a near 5 year low I would Think cheap Bullion will see a better return than semi nimismatic coins, but if silver goes lower semi numis will retain more value.

People describe them selves as stackers or collectors de[pending on their reasons for buying.

I started as a stacker, but quickly got won over by the amazing designs I was seeing, plus I learned a bit more about coins and the semi numis madhatter talks of. So I have dragged myself back to just bullion for now while we are at what I think is the bottom point price wise. I am stacking for SHTF fan, but trying to do it in a way which gives me a nice collection at the end of the day if everything turns out all right on the night! lol Plus I have a couple of little collections I am working on in between, but I am trying to wean myself of of them lol

I'd say that whilst the price has been dropping many of us have been buying semi-numis as a hedge against the silver price.

If we could only be sure this is the bottom then I think many of us would be going for best value per oz.

Now that is spooky I have just been scouring the bay for a NGC bargain, and I am looking at a couple of 2015 Goats, and a 2014 Libertad.

But yes now would be a good time to stock up on cheap silver.

I am relatively new, but I am stacking with value in mind. However a SHTF for me is financial reset, and who knows how severe this will be?

Therefore I take a variety of semi-numismatic to hedge my bets.

The only rules I try to follow at the moment is that I don't like to go more than 40% over spot (currently about £15 a 1 oz coin), I have exceeded this but I intend to keep my total average below £14 (currently 14.39). Obviously this means Lunars are out at the moment, but I have picked up some good 2013 stock at a good price.

To achieve this I have bought mainly from Germany. It is always better value when buying any amount over 4 or 5 oz.

Anything less than this and you will need silver to soar to recover the postage and premiums.

Good luck

BB

Currently stacking 1/4 oz (22ct) and Sovs.

I started collecting as I wanted something solid I could hold in my hand. As time went by I got hooked into the designs and started collecting semi numis. Now I have done a 360, and have two separate stacks. Stack one is the pretty semi numis stuff that I like the look of and will probably keep until I retire and desperately need the money. Stack 2 is my generic stack of bars that I don't give a toss about and only buy because they are the cheapest, and I feel no emotional connection to. I am focused more on this stack now, but like to buy one of each coin from Atkinson's for the collecting part. Gotta catch em all!

I watched this video the other week, someone hoarding "junk" ish silver, in the form of cutlery and what not

Id hate to have all that, even though it's silver, it looks like junk all bent up into plastic bins

Sell it all and give me the equivalent money to get some rolls of perth mint semi-numi stuff any day

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

I watched this video the other week, someone hoarding "junk" ish silver, in the form of cutlery and what not

Id hate to have all that, even though it's silver, it looks like junk all bent up into plastic bins

Sell it all and give me the equivalent money to get some rolls of perth mint semi-numi stuff any day

I'd love to know how much that is all worth, There must be a small fortune in silver there. 

Great topic! I started by buying 7 different 1 oz coins from STG , then chose two that I liked ( libertad and US eagle) and bought a tube of each. So I convinced myself I am stacking ...but still stuff I liked to look at. Since then I have been tempted by proof Libertads etc but never actually bought any, as they are just nice, but damn expensive. So I am right in the trap others describe!

Hey guys I am also into coin collecting buying and selling im quite new to tapatalk soo im having bit of a struggle to do what i want to but i will get a hang of it,, Leighton im from south-africa so iff anyone is up to it will you just explain the buying and selling methods please. Thanx guys have a great day.

Hi Leighton, I take it you are talking about trying to sell something on here. If that is the case you have to make a certain number of posts before you can do so.

It is to deter people who just turn up on this site trying to flog stuff.All genuine stackers & collectors are welcome here.

Perhaps you could post in the welcome thread a little bit about yourself and your stacking/collecting interests.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

99% of my Silver holdings are in scrap.

In my opinion it is the only way to buy Silver in the UK as you can buy it just over the spot price or sometimes under spot.

It costs me just under 2p per gram to have it assayed and melted into a bar and returned to me.

Melting it into bars makes it easier to store and you also have an assay certificate with the weight and purity of the bar.

If you buy coins and bars the big problem you have is selling especially if you have over 500oz.

After following a Youtuber called Stellaconcepts from (2009-2011) I decided to sell my 850oz of coins and bars.

It took me around 6 months to sell it all on ebay.

The scrap bars that I had were sold to UK Scrap Gold,the money was in my account within 24 hours.

The only outlet you have to sell coins and bars is ebay who along with paypal take around 13.5% off you when you sell.

Also I have had a couple of people trying to scam me on ebay.

If we ever have a huge spike in the Silver price you have to an exit plan.

99% of my Silver holdings are in scrap.

In my opinion it is the only way to buy Silver in the UK as you can buy it just over the spot price or sometimes under spot.

It costs me just under 2p per gram to have it assayed and melted into a bar and returned to me.

Melting it into bars makes it easier to store and you also have an assay certificate with the weight and purity of the bar.

If you buy coins and bars the big problem you have is selling especially if you have over 500oz.

After following a Youtuber called Stellaconcepts from (2009-2011) I decided to sell my 850oz of coins and bars.

It took me around 6 months to sell it all on ebay.

The scrap bars that I had were sold to UK Scrap Gold,the money was in my account within 24 hours.

The only outlet you have to sell coins and bars is ebay who along with paypal take around 13.5% off you when you sell.

Also I have had a couple of people trying to scam me on ebay.

If we ever have a huge spike in the Silver price you have to an exit plan.

Ok I'll bite  :D

Where can you get scrap silver assayed, melted into bars and delivered back for 2p per gram

Ok I'll bite  :D

Where can you get scrap silver assayed, melted into bars and delivered back for 2p per gram

I use the Birmingham assay office.

When I have around 255oz I send it off to them.

Owing to postage costs I would say the minimum I would send would be just over a Kilo.

It cost me around £150 including VAT and Postage for my last bar that weighed 255oz.

If I lived near an assay office(Birmingham,Sheffield or London) I could have saved £56 in postage. 

Tell me where I could of sold 850oz of Silver without using ebay.

That's not what you said. You said that the only place you can sell coins and bars is eBay.

Once again, that's not true.

Pawn shops buy silver, people at coin shows would buy silver, people trade and buy silver on this and other forums, "we buy gold" places buy silver.

Stacker since 2013

That's not what you said. You said that the only place you can sell coins and bars is eBay.

Once again, that's not true.

Pawn shops buy silver, people at coin shows would buy silver, people trade and buy silver on this and other forums, "we buy gold" places buy silver.

If I sold a Kookaburra to a pawn shop or a scrap gold dealer I would be lucky to get £9.

As for silver forums it is a miniscule market.

Also I live in a very rural area so coin shows would not be an option.

Silver is the most volatile investment I know of,so you have to be nimble.

Archived