• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Queens Beast Lion

Scuzzle

How good does a coin have to be to include it in a boxed collection?, I have been buying two 2oz silver Queens Beasts since they started and have boxed one set and was thinking about boxing the other.  As such I took them out to give them the once over and I have noticed that one side of the Queens Beast Lion  "artex wallpaper" texure looks ever so slightly smoother than the other, unless you are really looking for it then it's hard to spot but once you do then it's apparent.  In fact I now suspect someone has taken a rubber eraser to a milk spot and thats why it's gone this way.

My question is - is this a big deal or not?, the QB Lion is obviously the most expensive one to replace but is this going to affect my ability to sell it on in the future or it's value as if I decide to leave it the QB Lion is only going to get more expensive.

These are bullion only and will only ever be bullion so I wouldn't be concerned.
If you look at the prices of the latest beasts per ounce they are average prices similar or marginally higher to many other popular bullion coins.
The high price of the Lion isn't currently set by its quality.

Bullion from most Mints, 6 times out of 10 mean imperfections, scuffs, scratches, chips and small pits.
Sometimes you get lucky and the coins are near perfect so that's a bonus.

I took delivery today of a gold Lion and at first glance it looks super with all its shiny detail but on Liz's cheek there are 3 small gouges as if a sharp object has impacted the coin. Disappointing but not a good enough reason to return as it was sold as bullion and not a graded coin.

If you cannot sleep at night because you worry about your Lion, I would take high resolution pictures, sell it as shown and with the proceeds buy a replacement.
You cannot be 100% certain that the coin has been doctored and if someone erased a milk spot the rest of the coin would either show abrasions or it would look patchy under different viewing angles.

1 hour ago, Scuzzle said:

As such I took them out to give them the once over and I have noticed that one side of the Queens Beast Lion  "artex wallpaper" texure looks ever so slightly smoother than the other, unless you are really looking for it then it's hard to spot but once you do then it's apparent.  In fact I now suspect someone has taken a rubber eraser to a milk spot and thats why it's gone this way.

Artex- now that really was nasty stuff, comes a very close second to Milk Spots on Fine Silver. 

I guess the easy answer is it’s your collection, so you’ll have to decide what flaws you can tollerate with the coins, they are Bullion. 

Shouldnt be too difficult to replace in time, there’s a Quarter of a Million of them kicking around.  

Maybe wait a few years when the Lion has been taken over by the Bull in terms of value, there’s only 100,000 or so of them.

Sorry to hijack this thread but rather than start a new topic I thought I’d post here instead. I received a lion today with discolouring on the lion side, any ideas what it is and can it be cleaned? See photos below

AA10A9D2-D47B-4E28-96F3-3C7EC286F042.thumb.jpeg.ad0ecd157b58ee7a7e4fc53e27a83594.jpegBBA2B0BB-AF49-4C7D-9B40-3254607ABDF4.thumb.jpeg.489f8cb0d075bf1d5f8ccba070a1f521.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Stuart7 said:

Sorry to hijack this thread but rather than start a new topic I thought I’d post here instead. I received a lion today with discolouring on the lion side, any ideas what it is and can it be cleaned? See photos below

AA10A9D2-D47B-4E28-96F3-3C7EC286F042.thumb.jpeg.ad0ecd157b58ee7a7e4fc53e27a83594.jpegBBA2B0BB-AF49-4C7D-9B40-3254607ABDF4.thumb.jpeg.489f8cb0d075bf1d5f8ccba070a1f521.jpeg

A quick dunk in some quality silver dip will sort that out Stuart.

It might actually increase the value, some people prefer the toned look and some people don't.   If you want it new and shiny there are videos on Youtube showing people cleaning coins with silver dip, "silver dip coins" should do in the search box to find them.

On 24/10/2018 at 16:28, richatthecroft said:

Maybe wait a few years when the Lion has been taken over by the Bull in terms of value, there’s only 100,000 or so of them.

Where can I find mintage numbers for the Beasts? 

34 minutes ago, MickB said:

I bought this from @arshimo2012 back in August and I think it looks great. Wouldn't mind a full set with this finish. Not natural toning but with a different finish, so any imperfections aren't immediately noticeable.

Prefer the natural toning myself. Some antiqued coins look great but I think this one looks too unnatural. Individual taste etc

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

41 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

Prefer the natural toning myself. Some antiqued coins look great but I think this one looks too unnatural. Individual taste etc

What I also like about it is that I can fondle it without worrying about fingerprints. Maybe a little too much patina on this makes it look too unnatural, probably needed a little less applied.

Archived