• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

proof gold packaging

Martlet

A post in deals noted a proof without box and I see these on Ebay.  Is it normal for proof Sovereigns, Britannias or others to be sold without any boxes or certificates, and if so were do they come from?  Should i assume at least a capsule?  I had suspected proof without box would indicate "proof-like" and something to swerve unless of particular interest.

They often come from sets as obviously there is only one box and CoA for 2, 3, 5 etc coins so check if the coin(s) were distributed in sets. Otherwise perhaps ask questions.

A capsule should be a given but I never assume anything, I would ask first if it's in an/the original capsule! I wouldn't buy a proof without a capsule apart from in person, after very careful checking.

If a proof sovereign or Britannia ( various denominations ) are sold without box or CoA then that generally means they are from a boxed set containing 2 - 6 coins. Sometimes you see empty boxes on eBay. If Royal Mint then these proofs should be inside a screw threaded clear capsule.

Many if not all such proofs sold without their original capsule are likely to have fine scratches, fingerprints or minor damage and although stunning compared to regular bullion to look at should in my opinion be priced according to quality and sometimes dare I say just the bullion price.

I have purchased proof boxed sets and some of the coins, although all described as FDC, have had fingerprints and grease smudges on some of the coins. I have even attempted to clean off greasy marks using pure acetone with cotton wool balls then an ultrasonic soapy bath being extremely careful how I clean the coin only to see microscopic fine scratches introduced so I am not sure how professionals clean or restore coins without adding fine hairline scratches.

That does answer another mystery, why there are boxes on ebay too... I wouldnt have thought people would seperate them, there you go.

So, it wouldn't be daft to look at proofs even with out capsules, for the right price?  I'm quite interested in the Britannia fractional proofs and premiums seems to be much more modest than say sovereigns.

Sometimes if people send the coins off for grading they no longer have use for the boxes so can get a few £'s back to offset grading.

I personally keep tue boxes & Coa's to send to a buyer if or when I sell.

If I sell off my graded Libertad set (heavens forbid!) I'll make far, far more selling individually so I'll be left with the box, caps and CoA (though I'd offer each buyer the cap should they want to deslab the coin).

I can't imagine finding a buyer for the box on such a low mintage set - you'd be looking at thousands to put the 5 coin set back together. Mint Proof Sovs, Brits etc are obviously a different kettle of fish, so I would consider loose in a flip but only under careful inspection :)

@Pete is correct as well of course - a capsule is no guarantee that it's pristine and hasn't been taken out and got fingerprints, dings etc.

• 4 weeks later...
On 27/06/2018 at 16:50, Martlet said:

That does answer another mystery, why there are boxes on ebay too... I wouldnt have thought people would seperate them, there you go.

The Royal Mint stopped selling the 1/10 proof coin individually so anyone collecting these needs to split sets now. And the 1/2 proof they stopped selling a long time ago. 

Having these coins available only in sets makes them rarer when sold separately and by splitting a set you are also reducing the total amount of complete sets making them rarer as well. ?

Archived