• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Calling all seasoned stackers

JunkBond

I was mostly in kilo bars and sold to private sellers above spot but less than dealers would sell a bar for. Most of the premium was recouped but not all, but with rise in spot it only means less profit per $ invested vs gold. It is more expensive to ship silver of equivalent value to gold. This cuts in further to profit. Kilos are a good size to send via royal mail vs coin tubes which are bulkier. I had tubes of 2oz turtles and britannias too that sold to private individuals, they sell just as well to be fair but took up more room per ounce and space is expensive. They cost more to post than the kilo bars due to bulk. Overall my silver netted less profit than gold despite getting close to spot on both metals when selling. It took significantly more time effort and negotiation to realise that close to spot in silver vs gold, and the gold went direct to hgm and Atkinson's. It's an entirely different game and not worth it vs gold unless if you hold long enough. Selling silver to a dealer for ease just wasn't worth it even after the rises we saw in 2016, but in the future if the price rises enough that is exactly what you would want to do rather than take the additional risk of selling to private individuals. All things to consider when choosing your metal. All imo. 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@kimchifirst things first read back through the posts who started the insulting first.

Secondly.. why would I be insulting you though @HawkHybrid.

Third.. facts are facts fiat currency doesn't fit the criteria of MONEY.

It reverts back to what its created from

Plus I only said I  don't mind wasting my worthless fiat currency on PM's (my opinion) too which I was set upon.. 

Also this is not just a PM's forum it's an educational forum.

Lastly @JunkBond this forum has its fair share of tensions between the members, thats what a good forum should have.

"RISK in PM's don't make me laugh.You need to get off your mother's titty and become a man." - a classic.

Over 20k gold futures contracts [2 000 000oz] flushed through in a smash on prices this afternoon.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

@Markh life's too short for your nonsense, take your 'happy to waste money' claptrap elsewhere - you won't find many of the same mind on here (imho).

48 minutes ago, KDave said:

I was mostly in kilo bars and sold to private sellers above spot but less than dealers would sell a bar for. Most of the premium was recouped but not all, but with rise in spot it only means less profit per $ invested vs gold. It is more expensive to ship silver of equivalent value to gold. This cuts in further to profit. Kilos are a good size to send via royal mail vs coin tubes which are bulkier. I had tubes of 2oz turtles and britannias too that sold to private individuals, they sell just as well to be fair but took up more room per ounce and space is expensive. They cost more to post than the kilo bars due to bulk. Overall my silver netted less profit than gold despite getting close to spot on both metals when selling. It took significantly more time effort and negotiation to realise that close to spot in silver vs gold, and the gold went direct to hgm and Atkinson's. It's an entirely different game and not worth it vs gold unless if you hold long enough. Selling silver to a dealer for ease just wasn't worth it even after the rises we saw in 2016, but in the future if the price rises enough that is exactly what you would want to do rather than take the additional risk of selling to private individuals. All things to consider when choosing your metal. All imo. 

Very interesting @KDave many thanks! I learn so much from these different experiences every time I read them, and it helps me tweak my strategy and get a lot of perspective. It's very informative to hear space was an issue with silver, this often comes up. Luckily I have a few location options. It's good to hear the coins did as well as bars even with the extra hassle. You said I think much of your silver was bought at or around £9 spot, what was the spot price when you sold?

1 hour ago, Markh said:

Plus I only said I  don't mind wasting my worthless fiat currency on PM's (my opinion) too which I was set upon..

my opinion is that I'm against people wasting their 'worthless

fiat currency' because people trade their time for that

'worthless fiat currency'. as such it may not be quite as

worthless as it's made out to be. at least not yet anyway.

how am I insulting you?(you were implying that because it

was your choice to possible waste your fiat currency on a

higher risk punt that it was acceptable to say that others

could do the same) my opinion is that the risk may be

acceptable to you but I'm against you saying that it would

be acceptable to others to take that risk.

'RISK in PM's don't make me laugh.You need to get off your mother's titty and become a man.'

is this not an insult aimed at me who said that people who

have lost fiat currency buying pm's would unlikely call it

risk free? (they are worse off) manipulation, 10 year

under performance versus gold, those are very real risk

that can cause losses. risk free, tell that to those who did

not manage to call the bottom and are currently still

underwater after many years of loyally holding silver. with

hindsight those still underwater now would have been better

off leaving their worthless fiat currency in the bank and then

buying now. define risk free?

(maybe you should quote where I was being rude to you to

make things fair)

HH

35 minutes ago, Markh said:

@kimchi how can I be wasting my fiat on a historically undervalued wealth preservation asset.   please explain.

Ask yourself, and then please let the rest of us know - one of the first things you said on this thread was that you were happy 'wasting' fiat. I and almost everyone else on this forum know the answer already - it seems it's only you that doesn't. Prove me wrong there.

If you're struggling, do a web search for 'opportunity cost' (basic GCSE Economics) and thank me later. Ta!

34 minutes ago, kimchi said:

Ask yourself, and then please let the rest of us know - one of the first things you said on this thread was that you were happy 'wasting' fiat. I and almost everyone else on this forum know the answer already - it seems it's only you that doesn't. Prove me wrong there.

If you're struggling, do a web search for 'opportunity cost' (basic GCSE Economics) and thank me later. Ta!

Time will tell who knows more about economics you and your cut and paste web analyst or someone who has worthless fiat to waste on a asset of value. I'm 90% leveraged and still going strong no debt, house with land paid in full, enough cash to last 12 months in an emergency. Store of long-term food ect. Bitcoin (several). Skilled employment. Friends with character ?  

All me fiat has been well wasted.

put your piddly little stack up where the sun don't shine because your economics don't stretch further than social media.

???

11 minutes ago, Markh said:

Time will tell who knows more about economics you and your cut and paste web analyst or someone who has worthless fiat to waste on a asset of value. I'm 90% leveraged and still going strong no debt, house with land paid in full, enough cash to last 12 months in an emergency. Store of long-term food ect. Bitcoin (several). Skilled employment. Friends with character ?  

All me fiat has been well wasted.

put your piddly little stack up where the sun don't shine because your economics don't stretch further than social media.

???

I'm a bit annoyed; this reply wasn't abusive or incomprehensible enough compared to your previous efforts.

As a teacher I will give this D- ('is surely capable but must try harder').

Try again (insulting my late mother was good, maybe work on that one champ).

LOL :P

3 minutes ago, kimchi said:

I'm a bit annoyed; this reply wasn't abusive or incomprehensible enough compared to your previous efforts.

As a teacher I will give this D- ('is surely capable but mustr try harder').

Try again (insulting my late mother was good, maybe work on that one champ).

LOL :P

A teacher makes sense

What you teach 

Home economics ??

4 minutes ago, Agpanda said:

Can all of you please stop now?

This is a friendly forum, and I think this has gone too far now

If you want to keep it going, I suggest doing so by PM

Cheers

I'm happy not to reply to this person if they stop posting on this thread. They already said they quit this thread once but didn't keep their word.

Unlike him or her, I keep mine - if they stop I stop.

Up to him or her (and then to mods and admin).

Really needs to stop.  It's gone off topic and is getting a little fired up.  I'm sure I saw some "not so nice" words used which seems to have possibly been edited out.

Keep it civilized.

2 minutes ago, HelpingHands said:

Maybe we should have a 'Fight Club' section on the forum.

When the mods think an argument is breaking out we could sever the thread and paste it to the fight section where it can continue (if they can be bothered continuing)

Half-serious suggestion.

Nope keep it all on the main forum - let everyone see who is who and what they're about imo.

Just my 2 cents, but I think it's best to let arguments play out to conclusion (as long as it's about a topic, not just personal); healthy to be able to express ones thoughts 

If it was a unique topic about something never talked about before, yes would be a shame to derail it, but there's already been dozens of these types of threads (no offence OP) 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

11 hours ago, Kman said:

Just my 2 cents, but I think it's best to let arguments play out to conclusion (as long as it's about a topic, not just personal); healthy to be able to express ones thoughts 

If it was a unique topic about something never talked about before, yes would be a shame to derail it, but there's already been dozens of these types of threads (no offence OP) 

None taken @Kman  :)

2 hours ago, HawkHybrid said:

@JunkBond I apologise if any of my previous posts messed up

your thread. I would normally have a more civilised debate

focussing on topic.

HH

You're a very gracious sort @JunkBond. However I'll second this, and I was far more culpable than HH. There is always room for a strong and lively debate, but that was not it.

I would like to add though (now that the 'other' thread about me seems to have gone, and this one becomes the most relevant) that I did not report any posts on either thread. I guess someone did, but it was certainly not me, and if the poster concerned wants to check that, privately with the mods, they are most welcome to.

Right, all forgotten! Onwards and upwards we go! :)

Archived