• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

How Do You Store Your Coins

Keithoil

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Founder & Administrator

Just had a nice phone call with someone from a company that produces all kinds of safes. It's amazing, they have all kind of options from a very boring grey standard safe up to the exclusive line, you can have it all customized with colors, drawers, velvet inlay or none, fire resistant or not etc etc - I want one, too! ;) BUT am I right assuming that stackers prefer a good cost-benefit ratio rather than fancy looks, small to medium sized and characteristics that match the minimum standards required by insurances?

Regards,

Livia

I don't know, depends on the purchaser and where the safe will be placed. A good looking safe is nice. But a more secure one is better. (I prefer both :) )

I like firesafes, but the internal dimensions are tiny in comparison to a standard safe with the same external dimensions. And firesafes with a high insurance rating are very expensive.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

When I was a project manager for a big retail company, I always fitted floor safes into our shops. Dig a big square hole in the floor, put in the safe, back fill it with concrete, and hey presto, you have a safe that a burglar would need a pneumatic drill to get into. Not something your average thief  would be carrying. We used one with drop holes so cashiers could drop money in capsules without opening the safe, but there are many versions that don't have this option. And the good thing is, whilst they are heavy, you can sneak one in your front door yourself, and even fit it yourself. It's not hard. 

The added bonus is you can hide it under carpets, rugs, sofas, sideboards, the dog basket etc

They were similar to this http://www.churchillsafes.com/churchill-floor-safes.html

I was surprised, having watched that video clip, how easy it is to open one of these safes. No point in having one really.

proably need one that is fairly hefty, old fashioned and key operated maybe?

My one is similar to the one in the clip. Those digital safes are a waste of money really.

Them floor safes look nice though.

I would recommend floor safes to anyone. Although I probably had to deal with over 100 break ins at our various stores in South East London and Kent, not one of the floor safes was ever breached. Although one daftie tried filling the safe with water through the capsule chute hoping that money would float to the surface, and he could fish it out with a coat hanger. Didn't realise all the money was in plastic tubes that were only a fraction smaller than the chute hole so there was no way he was going to get anything out. Not the brightest these burglars. :D  

We don't really have burglaries in where I live now but that might change when I find work after uni, right now I don't have a safe it's just well hidden off site but I'd definitely need to look for options in the future. The floor safe looks like a really neat project to do, either that or bolting the safe to a supporting wall is the ultimate kind of protection.

Saw this elsewhere, but this is why I prefer to not have a safe (though I like the floor safes that you concrete in, because they are hidden):

5_safe1.png

At this sort of size, sure it's bolted down and/or to the wall, but it is pretty obvious just sat there, with no protection to the sides or top. As can be seen, no safe is uncrackable if the thief has the time and the right tools. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have a new method I am trying for storing my coins.

Now I know this will be controversial fro some of you, but thats why we are individuals.

Put a 40mm removable sticker on one side of the coin then stack and place another sticker and so on until the tube is full, this will stop any future marks from occurring during transit etc.

I do know there is a chance the glue could cause a problem on the con but at the end of the day it is still silver so I am going to give it a go and see what happens.

post-50-0-89334700-1404849629_thumb.jpg

post-50-0-54488800-1404849631_thumb.jpg

I guess it will depend what kind of glue it is as to whether it damages the coins, but it might be awkward to get the glue traces off without a solvent and that could also be a problem. Could hinder their resale value (and those all look MS70 standard to me  :P you should have submitted them for grading)

I have to say, I think the adhesive is going to cause issues. Not the best idea in my opinion.

But it's your silver mate.

I think you'd be better with no separation.

Forgetting the grading issues you have had recently, un-separated coins from monster boxes have been grading MS70, I'd assume proper 70 in most cases.

Stacker since 2013

I think that method of protection your coins Keithoil will eradicate the possible problem of coins hitting against each other and scratching, however I think it just replaces it with another problem of induced oxidisation / a high probability of some sticky coins. I am sure the gue residue can't be good for them. But they are yours to do with as you please ;) I would have recommended air tites and air tite tubes though if your worried about coins getting scratches.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers

50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

would be even better to just get 40mm paper circles no sticky stuff.

You've hit the nail on the head Keith,surely you can source something,or give your grand kids a compass pencil and a pair of scissors and get them to make them for you. :)

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

Gents

I have take your comments on board and have left some coins with the peelable labels on and others I have simply cut the wax paper out and used that as a separator.

Watch this space...

What I have noticed as I have been putting the coins into the respective monster boxes are some of the coins even ASE's are getting marks on them like a milky area as opposed to a milk spots.

The downside of capsules is If buying large quantities of silver, capsules and capsule tubes take up a far greater space. My preferred solution would be to just keep coins the tube they came in and put the tubes into coin armour bags to give then active protection them.

Discounts / Offers

Archived