• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Which gold

If I’m only stacking for weight and don’t care on quality as such or anything just the weight 

am I doing the right thing buying sovereigns ????

I can afford 1 a week so roughly £500 a week 

although I bought 4 this week 😂😂

Britannias (and their derivatives produced by Royal Mint with a Sterling denomination) and sovereigns will be CGT free... depends on how much you'd be planning on selling during a tax year in the future / what successive government decisions are on CGT allowance!

35 minutes ago, Tn21 said:

If you are stacking for weight and don't care about quality, the bars and 1 oz coins often go for spot or less recently so it would be worthwhile to save up and get them as they are attractively priced here on the forum. The down side to this is when it comes to resale the potential pool of buyers will be smaller compared to a sov or a lower fractional weight.  

I would deffo do this but I like the chase of opening parcel more often 

8 minutes ago, BipolarStacker said:

I would deffo do this but I like the chase of opening parcel more often 

In that case, buy two half sovereigns from different members and you would have two packages to open

Never Chase and Never Regret 

Make the core of your stack CGT-exempt like sovs and brits. If you find smaller pieces at a similar premium to larger pieces, happy days, buy them all. I like 1oz pieces but the higher spot goes the stronger the case for owning fractional (sovs, half sovs, 1/4oz, 1/10oz)

For the rest of your stack buy things that tickle your barnacles. If I could turn back time (if I could find a way) I would buy circulated sovs/coins that I could hold with my bare hands

Mind is primary and mass-energy is derivative

4 hours ago, Roy said:

A closet Cher fan, eh?

Agreed, if you're just stacking weight, in the current climate, the cheapest/easiest available, which are usually sovs.

If you need the weekly 'delivery fix', buy some cheap silver. You can always trade it later for gold.

This is exactly what im doing. Not necessarily the right way for everyone but it suits me and my fluctuating budget.

10 hours ago, Spyder said:

In that case, buy two half sovereigns from different members and you would have two packages to open

Makes sense at the right price 

Stacking for weight I get.  

If you are buying the cheapest Sovs at what Chards label “Grade C” - polished, from jewellery etc you may them harder to shift when you come to sell.

Personally I don’t buy poor quality Sovs* l and I think other folk are similar.

Best

Dicker

* Apart from half Sovs from M and S mints which are hard to find.

Not my circus, not my monkeys

2 hours ago, dicker said:

Stacking for weight I get.  

If you are buying the cheapest Sovs at what Chards label “Grade C” - polished, from jewellery etc you may them harder to shift when you come to sell.

Personally I don’t buy poor quality Sovs* l and I think other folk are similar.

Best

Dicker

* Apart from half Sovs from M and S mints which are hard to find.

So just out of curiosity do you think the last sov I bought is poor quality and just a question but why does it matter if I’m stacking for weight and later in my life I will be weighing them in to be melted down 

cheers for the reply 👌🤝

9 minutes ago, BipolarStacker said:

So just out of curiosity do you think the last sov I bought is poor quality and just a question but why does it matter if I’m stacking for weight and later in my life I will be weighing them in to be melted down 

cheers for the reply 👌🤝

Hi - I don’t know what you bought, just sharing that it will be a little easier to liquidate coins that are in decent condition.

All the best to you

Not my circus, not my monkeys

3 minutes ago, dicker said:

Hi - I don’t know what you bought, just sharing that it will be a little easier to liquidate coins that are in decent condition.

All the best to you

Ok cheers pal 

19 hours ago, BipolarStacker said:

With respect spending £500 a week on poor quality sovereigns seems a terrible idea especially if that is the whole of your weekly savings budget.  Yes gold has gone crazy in the past few months but it doesn't always do that.  Poor quality sovereigns will be difficult to shift other than at rock bottom prices from dealers. Who would melt them down ? That comes at a cost.  Another problem is fakes. Cheap looking coins can be cheap for a reason. I certainly wouldn't put all your eggs in one basket.  Collectors spend years leaning the pitfalls. 

35 minutes ago, pricha said:

With respect spending £500 a week on poor quality sovereigns seems a terrible idea especially if that is the whole of your weekly savings budget.  Yes gold has gone crazy in the past few months but it doesn't always do that.  Poor quality sovereigns will be difficult to shift other than at rock bottom prices from dealers. Who would melt them down ? That comes at a cost.  Another problem is fakes. Cheap looking coins can be cheap for a reason. I certainly wouldn't put all your eggs in one basket.  Collectors spend years leaning the pitfalls. 

I don’t have any poor quality sovereigns I bought 1 this week that had been cleaned and to be honest it had the best detail Iv ever seen in one and eitha way it’s still 22ct gold and still weighs the same if I was saying here’s £500 give me all your poor quality gold then I’d get that but my sovereigns are all decent I bought one this week as I bought 3 and thought F it why not but another at a cheap price so I appreciate your reply but please don’t think I’m buying poor gold 😂 I look at everything before buying and I have £500 spare each week for gold so I said I don’t care if it’s been cleaned when I go weigh my gold in to a jeweller (who I use) who will be melting it down he really won’t care if it’s cleaned or covered in dirt 👌

52 minutes ago, BipolarStacker said:

I don’t have any poor quality sovereigns I bought 1 this week that had been cleaned and to be honest it had the best detail Iv ever seen in one and eitha way it’s still 22ct gold and still weighs the same if I was saying here’s £500 give me all your poor quality gold then I’d get that but my sovereigns are all decent I bought one this week as I bought 3 and thought F it why not but another at a cheap price so I appreciate your reply but please don’t think I’m buying poor gold 😂 I look at everything before buying and I have £500 spare each week for gold so I said I don’t care if it’s been cleaned when I go weigh my gold in to a jeweller (who I use) who will be melting it down he really won’t care if it’s cleaned or covered in dirt 👌

The cleaned sovereign you bought was quite nice. Even coins in museums have been cleaned at some point. Polished coins look dreadful. Theres a difference. A jeweler will buy ex jewelry coins but will pay below spot so you'd have to be careful what you buy. Everyone is different with different ideas. Can't really say this is the right way or wrong way really . Each to their own I always say. But it's good to hear other opinions. 

51 minutes ago, pricha said:

The cleaned sovereign you bought was quite nice. Even coins in museums have been cleaned at some point. Polished coins look dreadful. Theres a difference. A jeweler will buy ex jewelry coins but will pay below spot so you'd have to be careful what you buy. Everyone is different with different ideas. Can't really say this is the right way or wrong way really . Each to their own I always say. But it's good to hear other opinions. 

So how can I tell difference between polished and cleaned mate ?

and yes other opinions are brilliant as I am very new to this that’s why I ask so many questions 😂 

and yes I agree the coin I bought has outstanding detail I was happy with it 

Cleaned coins should only be a  concern if the coin has a numersmatic value. Usually they'll be light scratches on the surface. Some worse than others. The natural  luster will vanish. Polished coins look like my head after I've been swimming.  Shiney.  No natural luster. I've buried polished coins in the garden to dull them but it never works.