• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

The Blackpool Tower in silver

• Foster88 changed the title to The Blackpool Tower in silver

So silvers still got a little way to catch up with it value just over 100 years ago. Spot has popped up to £22/oz this morning though :D

Amazing piece of workmanship. Any of the silver makers in the community fancy having ago?

Edited by monkey

On 08/04/2024 at 09:02, paulmerton said:

£120 back then would be worth about £19,500 today.

Modern equivalent of nearly £28/oz.

by my calculations £120 back then would be 120 sovereigns which would be worth £51,600 now, giving the silver price of £73 per ounce. I dont know if its £120 worth of silver, or that for the silver, and the cost to build the model aswell. A conservative assumption that half was labour, would give an estimate of £36.50 per ounce.

2 minutes ago, Spark268 said:

£120 back then would be 120 sovereigns which would be worth £51,600 now, giving the silver price of £73 per ounce.

I don't think it works like that!

8 minutes ago, Spark268 said:

why not? I thought sovereigns amounted to £1 back then?

They still have a face value of £1 today.

Comparing that against the value of the metal they're made of is nonsensical.

7 hours ago, paulmerton said:

They still have a face value of £1 today.

Comparing that against the value of the metal they're made of is nonsensical.

i am open to being corrected on my calculation, but you've not shown why, and have not shown your calculation. Britain was under a gold standard back then, where 1 pound equalled 20 schillings which equalled 1 gold sovereign. 120 sovereigns would be worth 52.8K today.

Suggesting that something bought back then has a modern cost equivalent based on how much gold it would have cost at the time only works if that something is actually gold. In terms of actual money...

image.png.6002f85bb7dfa16de0cc2199693e79b3.png

My calculation assumes a constant gold to silver ratio which we know now is at historical lows, but both are monetary metals which aim to hold value. You can deflate with the inflation rate, but thats known to be flawed in itself, and perhaps more so !