• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Show Us Your Fakes Database

As much as I prefer the new £1 coin from an aesthetic point of view. I miss the old £1 coin because there were so many fakes that it was great training ground for identifying the diagnostic tell-tales of forgeries. So many types and styles, cast, struck etc. You could easily handle dozens over the course of a month or so (the main reason the coins were withdrawn) and learn to distinguish between wear and knock offs.

Still we have the £2 coin.

Edited by SidS

• 1 month later...
On 11/02/2024 at 13:24, SilverJacks said:

Here’s a coin I suspect is fake, so not sure it’s in the correct thread, just yet anyway. It’s with NGC so will find out in a while. 

Colour is off - although it could be from being cleaned etc, but I doubt it.

Raised rim looks suspicious - you often see fins around the rims of these coins, but this is extreme on both sides.

lettering doesn’t look right - particularly the top of “United” on reverse

Several suspicious depressions on reverse - one directly above “of” and below “trust”

Other than that , it’s either a high quality fake or I’m wrong and it’s genuine. Apologies if this is too early to add to your thread @Organics. It can always be removed I guess…

IMG_7874.jpeg

IMG_7875.jpeg

IMG_7864.jpeg

IMG_7877.jpeg

IMG_8115.png

On 11/02/2024 at 14:21, dicker said:

Just a reminder of this website.  More that simply one pound coins. Roman, Modern Counage and even a Gold Brit!

http://www.thefakepoundcoindatabase.co.uk

The spelling on the Brit is a bit of a giveaway too. I guess so they are not done with forgery. 😂

5 minutes ago, SilverJacks said:

I believe so mate. I raised my concerns with it few months ago and informed them of submitting it to NGC. I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Good stuff 👍🏻

Bought a fake 1887 half sovereign last week from a friendly jeweller. Only realised it was when I got round to looking at it yesterday and it weighed in at 3.501g. Bloody good detail for a fake, even had a bit of lustre! Took it back today and it tested in at 14k. He felt awful about selling it to me and swapped it out for an 1843 so not all bad 🙂

On 26/03/2024 at 00:01, Skyfiller said:

Bought a fake 1887 half sovereign last week from a friendly jeweller. Only realised it was when I got round to looking at it yesterday and it weighed in at 3.501g. Bloody good detail for a fake, even had a bit of lustre! Took it back today and it tested in at 14k. He felt awful about selling it to me and swapped it out for an 1843 so not all bad 🙂

That’s dreadful even for a jeweller 

Not my circus, not my monkeys

• 4 weeks later...

What do members make of this coin. I have recently noticed a few Half Sovereign fakes with the Sydney mint mark in uncirculated condition. 

This one is on eBay at the moment for a crazy high price of £470.   Apart from strange lines on the coin and looks like a die gouge near the B.P, what really stands out is that you can almost see a date above the horse head that looks like 187 and another number that is not clear.

1916s Fake eBay.jpg

Edited by Spyder

Never Chase and Never Regret 

13 hours ago, Spyder said:

What do members make of this coin. I have recently noticed a few Half Sovereign fakes with the Sydney mint mark in uncirculated condition. 

This one is on eBay at the moment for a crazy high price of £470.   Apart from strange lines on the coin and looks like a die gouge near the B.P, what really stands out is that you can almost see a date above the horse head that looks like 187 and another number that is not clear.

1916s Fake eBay.jpg

Goodness that does look strange. The number at the top of the horses head is very unusual. Would be interesting to read what others say. It could be a rare error coin 🤔