• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Displaying or storing your (numismatics) coins

I'm wondering do you display your coins a shelf or do you normally just put it in a storage/vault.

This is more as a (semi)numismatics side since I feel like stackers will mostly just hide it or put it in a vault.

For me, I enjoy looking at the coins that I'm collecting instead of putting it inside a vault. Well that until something nice I like to replace it.17054818434135803559618998390496.thumb.jpg.a320f7e8be38130b5384a73048732ff1.jpg

Edited by jason94151

• jason94151 changed the title to Displaying or storing your (numismatics) coins

What's the point of a beautiful thing if you can't casually gaze at it when you pass by. It is a real joy to see my small coin collection all shiny and glinting. I'm sure once the novelty wears of and I get more coins I will probably put them away but keep one out on a rotating basis so I can still enjoy them.

Edited by Kitalon

18 minutes ago, Petra said:

🤔🙁🙁

Squire: Photography?

Man: Yes. Nudge nudge. Snap snap. Grin grin, wink wink, say no more?

Squire: Holiday snaps?

Man: Could be, could be taken on holiday. Could be yes - swimming costumes. Know what I mean. Candid photography. Know what I mean, nudge nudge.

I'm alright, Jack, Keep your hands off of my stack

7 minutes ago, BLOOMMAN101 said:

Squire: Photography?

Man: Yes. Nudge nudge. Snap snap. Grin grin, wink wink, say no more?

Squire: Holiday snaps?

Man: Could be, could be taken on holiday. Could be yes - swimming costumes. Know what I mean. Candid photography. Know what I mean, nudge nudge.

Like this?

image.thumb.jpeg.dd956d13125abec34ffd025dccabe4a6.jpeg

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

Got a few Britannia sets, a 10oz completer and a few other pieces in a show cabinet in my living room. As sead above, wouldn't be the end of the world should the worst happen. No gold for 2 reasons. Paranoia and with my eyesight, i couldn't see em clearly anyway. 

Silver gets hidden away if we have visitors (other than close friends or family).

Best place for storing valuable coins is under floorboards but let close family know where they fcukin are.

Easy for you to access and what burglar is going to start ripping up floorboards ?

Why pay monthly etc for safety deposit boxes get your dosh paid monthly to the forum and lock up more deals 👍🏻

The vast majority of what I own is very safely stored away. There are some exceptions though which I make for some of the coins I am most into. I don't currently have anything on display as such but I do keep them within easy reach of where I work for moments I want to look away from the screen and just focus on something else for a while.

I have considered framing up some of the silver proof sets I have that I'm really into. Some of the 25cent sets from Canada or the 10p A to Z series. I'd also like to frame up the silver proof round pound run when I complete it. One day.

Edited by AppleZippoandMetronome

13 minutes ago, Sovhead said:

Best place for storing valuable coins is under floorboards but let close family know where they fcukin are.

Easy for you to access and what burglar is going to start ripping up floorboards ?

Why pay monthly etc for safety deposit boxes get your dosh paid monthly to the forum and lock up more deals 👍🏻

That’s 2 that I know where they keep stuff now 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

16 hours ago, jason94151 said:

I'm wondering do you display your coins a shelf or do you normally just put it in a storage/vault.

This is more as a (semi)numismatics side since I feel like stackers will mostly just hide it or put it in a vault.

For me, I enjoy looking at the coins that I'm collecting instead of putting it inside a vault. Well that until something nice I like to replace it.17054818434135803559618998390496.thumb.jpg.a320f7e8be38130b5384a73048732ff1.jpg

Maybe a few at a time. Never all.

IMG_2154.thumb.jpeg.21aa49dcb81339a4534cd484d6271c5f.jpeg
1/10 troz Bao Yuan Vault Protector 

IMG_1500.thumb.jpeg.4267ff0f48912329e31056ba0608da80.jpeg

1855 Queen Victoria Sovereign & 1868 Queen Isabela II 4 Pesos with 3-legged Money Toad 

IMG_1769.thumb.png.66158b9056e8786224c72b3aca459e45.png

Gollum and his precious: 2009 5 Sovereigns

Edited by trozau

21 hours ago, Orpster said:

My gold goes into a safety deposit box, if its a recent purchase it will be in my safe, I do not display any gold at all.
For my proofs I keep the boxes in a cupboard and put the coins in their capsules into tubes for storage at the SDB.  

Silver I do have a display of the more interesting coins/bars/pours I have in a cabinet in my office, but not to a value that would hurt should it get stolen.  

Well I will say that having silver, gold out for display can be risky(especially gold) but I guess i also feel it depends on where you live. For example if you lived in a gated community and/or if you have guns in your house or if you have dogs then I feel like it safer to display it.

16 hours ago, Gordy said:

I display my stackers only... on a shelf in my man cave, if I have contractors in i hide them away

Yea I also hide my coins when I know there strangers or people I'm not too familiar with coming over.

Edited by jason94151

13 hours ago, Kitalon said:

What's the point of a beautiful thing if you can't casually gaze at it when you pass by. It is a real joy to see my small coin collection all shiny and glinting. I'm sure once the novelty wears of and I get more coins I will probably put them away but keep one out on a rotating basis so I can still enjoy them.

Yup that why I have it out in my bed headboard shelf just so that I can look and enjoy it before I go to sleep. I feel like coins with presentation box's (mostly proofs) are meant to be display especially the 1kilo silver coin.

13 hours ago, Petra said:

Fine line between leaving very expensive items out for all and sundry and having some nice bits out on display. Buy, get delivered, see for a few minutes, lock away!🤔😮🙁

Well for me I normally just display my coins mostly kilo silver and gold coins that weight less than 1/4oz or near the limit of what my insurance going to cover for gold/silver. The rest goes to my safe or vault.

10 hours ago, Sovhead said:

Since I live in the USA, I'm more likely to have my floorboards filled of bullets holes if there is a (armed)burglar.

I don't want my silver/gold full of bullets holes.