• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Use your grading skills

Following on from yesterday's discussion on grading, lets see what grade members would think these coins are. 

Before that, have a look at this first coin. Bought as better than bullion and this is the coin I received from an online dealer. It is of cause going back for a full refund. In my judgement, this coin is worse than bullion and it is way under weight.  To me better than bullion means almost uncirculated with minimal wear. 

1889 Sov 1.jpg

1889 Sov 2.jpg

1889 Sov 3.jpg

Never Chase and Never Regret 

I grade it at M-melt!

But don't read too much into what dealer call better than bullion. Might be that you still know what type of coin it is. 

Edited by SeverinDigsSovereigns

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

The modern proof are basically PF70 then picking bits (e.g. hairlines) and deciding if they are PF69 or worse, 68.

That 1899, can't see the lustre the way you pictured it. It's thus impossible to give an opinion. It could be anything between AU55 and MS63. AU55 is basically good-ish details with trace lustre in the legend. AU58 has lustrous legend but none in the field. Judging from the high points (rein, George's head, queen's veil) my bet is MS61 or 62.

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

45 minutes ago, Spyder said:

Following on from yesterday's discussion on grading, lets see what grade members would think these coins are. 

Before that, have a look at this first coin. Bought as better than bullion and this is the coin I received from an online dealer. It is of cause going back for a full refund. In my judgement, this coin is worse than bullion and it is way under weight.  To me better than bullion means almost uncirculated with minimal wear. 

1889 Sov 1.jpg

1889 Sov 2.jpg

1889 Sov 3.jpg

Unfortunately, it’s legal tender if the weight is 7.93787gms or more. Looks pretty worn though.

1899 AU50 imo

The rest all look like proofs from the pics if they aren’t swap PF for MS

2005 PF70

2008 PF68

1995 PF70

oh and see between Victoria and Dei on the 1899 there’s a strange lump.

Edited by Sovhead
Typo

1 hour ago, Spyder said:

1889 Sov 1.jpg

1889 Sov 2.jpg

1889 Sov 3.jpg

No expert, but looks very worn. If that was pictured in a sale I would assume that it would be very cheap. No purchase here🤔🤔😮

15 minutes ago, Petra said:

No expert, but looks very worn. If that was pictured in a sale I would assume that it would be very cheap. No purchase here🤔🤔😮

I would expect to pay no more than spot for a sovereign in this condition.

That is the problem when they put a coin and say photo is not of the coin.  When only proof and uncirculated coins are are classed as better than bullion, this is not the coin one would expect. I think a new starter must have listed this coin as better than bullion. 

Will give the the grading results tonight at about 10pm.  Still time for others to give their opinions

Edited by Spyder

1 hour ago, Sovhead said:

1899 AU50 imo

The rest all look like proofs from the pics if they aren’t swap PF for MS

2005 PF70

2008 PF68

1995 PF70

oh and see between Victoria and Dei on the 1899 there’s a strange lump.

Good spot. It looks like a extra lump of gold. Checked at NGC and it is there on their photo

1899s AU58 4.jpg

Thanks to all that gave a guess.  Some members were very close. Here are the results. @Stuntman& @SilverJacks, you two were almost spot on.

I use these bags to stop the slabs scratching up.

Graded Sovs.jpg

57 minutes ago, Spyder said:

Thanks to all that gave a guess.  Some members were very close. Here are the results. @Stuntman& @SilverJacks, you two were almost spot on.

Graded Sovs.jpg

Crack that 58 out what’s the point of that grade with a veiled Vikky.

11 hours ago, Spyder said:

Graded Sovs.jpg

@Spyder great coins, the 2005 is my favourite sovereign, closely followed by a 2012.

Coins are not only a store of value but a store of beauty.

The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are. (Joseph Campbell).