• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Nugget

Midasfrog

@Midasfrog

Here’s the largest nugget ever found in Australia (Victoria State) -  the ‘Welcome Stranger’ in 1869. Just so happens I have the 1oz nugget of 1987.  Also held a replica at the Perth mint a few years back…….over a hundred kilos! 

IMG_0251.jpeg

On 18/12/2023 at 10:32, Britannia47 said:

@Midasfrog

Here’s the largest nugget ever found in Australia (Victoria State) -  the ‘Welcome Stranger’ in 1869. Just so happens I have the 1oz nugget of 1987.  Also held a replica at the Perth mint a few years back…….over a hundred kilos! 

IMG_0251.jpeg

In my opinion the Nugget is an underrated coin.  Especially the early ones.  

Not my circus, not my monkeys

On 19/12/2023 at 14:36, pmbug said:

What is the normal range for purity in gold nuggets found/mined from the ground?  99.7% pure seems amazing to me.

A lot less I believe!  Larger nuggets are often encrusted with quartz & other materials which adds to the gross weight. I read that miners would often leave such nuggets in the camp fire overnight so that in the morning it was easier to remove the quartz. Even after refining a ‘London Good Delivery’  bar can show a stamped purity of 99.79……!

2 hours ago, dicker said:

In my opinion the Nugget is an underrated coin.  Especially the early ones.  

Say no more!    But it’s an excuse to put up more photos, including my ‘nugget’, holding the ‘ Welcome Stranger’ replica in Perth,  and lastly holding the heaviest 400oz bar at the Bank of England museum.

IMG_0273.jpeg

IMG_0272.jpeg

IMG_0271.png

21 hours ago, Britannia47 said:

Say no more!    But it’s an excuse to put up more photos, including my ‘nugget’, holding the ‘ Welcome Stranger’ replica in Perth,  and lastly holding the heaviest 400oz bar at the Bank of England museum.

IMG_0273.jpeg

IMG_0272.jpeg

IMG_0271.png

Big enough to even block @James32 's hoover

james32hoooooooooover.thumb.jpg.397193cc7402dac15757c2546f2be76e.jpg

On 19/12/2023 at 14:36, pmbug said:

What is the normal range for purity in gold nuggets found/mined from the ground?  99.7% pure seems amazing to me.

It depends on the geographical location of the mine. Wikipedia says around 23K, but I suspect you could find anything from 50% to 99%. Gold and silver are good friends. But when there's too much silver people just stop calling them gold nuggets and use "electrum" instead, and that was used in some of the earliest minted coins in the world.

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.