• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

✨ Are Shieldback Sovereigns more desirable? Is there a demand?

Just wondering if the Shieldback Sovereigns are worth the extra money? And on that note - what is a good selling amount? 

I know nothing about Shieldbacks  

Thanks. 

🚩 Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/StackingUK . More content coming. Please Like & Subscribe.
Please be sure to FOLLOW me on The Silver Forum to not miss great deals or to just find that coin that got away. 

There are some listed on here by @shawy2510 at the moment. 

There are many people who buy them, very appealing in nice condition. Some hardcore stackers don't care much for them and wouldn't pay the extra but some would

For those more interested in the collector side there's a range of dates and mintmarks and varying degrees of rarity to go at 

I totally agree with @modofantasma above. The general stacker probably wouldn't care about the shield design and condition in general. But there are plenty of collector type people looking for high grade examples and rare year/variety ones. For example 1855 is quite common, and a stacker will probably pay £400 for a worn 1855. But if you have an MS63 1855 in hand I could see people paying £1000+ if not more

Not to mention the FID DEE and Ansell/827 etc those will be desirable regardless of grade

Edit: of course St. G&D ones in higher grades are also desirable, essentially the ones before 1914 because all would have been circulated. It's fairly easy, on the other hand, to find UNC Gillicks and Machins. I've struggled to find 1903-1905 sovereigns in UNC condition that come at reasonable prices.

Edited by SeverinDigsSovereigns

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

There was some hype about shields, and the market has settled on a premium of about 10-15% over spot vs more like 5% for G&D designs.  To some extent, I think the distinction is arbitrary, as there were a lot of shields manufactured - every sovereign minted in London between 1825-1871 was a shield.  Shields are not rare, although as they were circulated coins, examples in good condition are less common.

I will buy shields if a nice one comes up at a price where I'm confident I could recover it if I went to sell the coin.  Generally I try to be a bit picky about condition as there are lots of optimists flogging poor quality shields at rather inflated prices, and presumably a population of mugs willing to buy them.  Therefore, it does pay to have a handle on the numismatics if you want to go buying them.

As the market has already settled on a premium price for shields, there's no point in buying shields for their own sake - at least not if you're expecting to make a profit on them.  However, if a nice example comes up at a decent price, they can be worth buying.  My rule of thumb is that anything less than VF or gVF is probably best avoided.

19th Century sovs are a big old rabbit hole to go down, as there were loads of things like different numbered dies, variants where somebody had overstruck the dates on the die or used the wrong character for impressing the legend on the coin (A's and V's, for example).  Some of these will also pick up some value for rarity, although I've deliberately avoided chasing rare variants (although I wouldn't be unhappy if such an item were to come into my possession organically).

Edited by Silverlocks

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.