• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Is it sacrilege to clean my pre-1947 UK sixpences?

mik

I got a job lot of these UK silver sixpences. 50% silver, varied dates 1920 - 1946. I got about 370 of them. I put aside about 70 of the most worn ones. I have a desire to put the remaining 300 in a couple of black velvet drawstring bags I have. For some reason, I want to feel like a merchant of olde, with ye bags of silver. I want them all nice and shiny. I can take them to work and shove them in the ultrasonic cleaner for 20 mins or so, and jet rinse them after. Would this be a terrible thing to do to these Edward VII and George V coins? At the moment to me they feel like bullion/jewellery but also have this numismatic/historic facet to them, and I'm torn about whether I would later regret cleaning them. Or if in the future I get bored of them and want to sell them, will I find it hard to shift them if they are cleaned? They're just low value old coins, aren't they? Will anyone care if they're polished and shiny?

The first thing to do is to roughly grade them. Anything better than fine or considered scarce will have a (small) numismatic premium - i.e 1923 - and shouldn't be cleaned. Anything less than fine and common, cleaning them will not really affect their value.

A lot of these type of coins are used as birthday or curiosity gifts so cleaning them happens frequently. Using an ultrasonic will not put scratches on the coin so i would say go for it. There's something very pleasing and appealing in jingling silver coins especially if they are shiny 😁

8 hours ago, mik said:

I got a job lot of these UK silver sixpences. 50% silver, varied dates 1920 - 1946. I got about 370 of them. I put aside about 70 of the most worn ones. I have a desire to put the remaining 300 in a couple of black velvet drawstring bags I have. For some reason, I want to feel like a merchant of olde, with ye bags of silver. I want them all nice and shiny. I can take them to work and shove them in the ultrasonic cleaner for 20 mins or so, and jet rinse them after. Would this be a terrible thing to do to these Edward VII and George V coins? At the moment to me they feel like bullion/jewellery but also have this numismatic/historic facet to them, and I'm torn about whether I would later regret cleaning them. Or if in the future I get bored of them and want to sell them, will I find it hard to shift them if they are cleaned? They're just low value old coins, aren't they? Will anyone care if they're polished and shiny?

good question mate, I was wondering the same thing you could clean a few and see what you think  or clean the worn ones as a test sample

I'm alright, Jack, Keep your hands off of my stack

Thanks

I'll clean the worn ones, can't even read some of the dates on those, only good for metal content. I don't know why I didn't think of trying that. 

Then if I do clean the others, I will do a crude grading and put aside the best stuff.

😁

17 minutes ago, mik said:

Thanks

I'll clean the worn ones, can't even read some of the dates on those, only good for metal content. I don't know why I didn't think of trying that. 

Then if I do clean the others, I will do a crude grading and put aside the best stuff.

😁

Leave it a while mate and see if you get more replies from more knowledgeable members over the weekend,I'm a complete novice and would like more replies on the subject as well

I'm alright, Jack, Keep your hands off of my stack

These coins are collected for fun and buying/selling usually around spot, their numismatic value is very close to 0.. A ultrasonic bath and a rinse can't hurt them. Have fun, these are yours. When the time to sell will come, the buyer won't be upset, he will buy them anyway at spot as a weight added to his silver stack.

I would not recommend to do this with other coins that may have an extrinsic numismatic value.🤗

You will go to coin hell now and for all eternity. There is no way back once you polish a coin.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried the ultrasonic cleaner at work, it was rubbish. In the end I cleaned them using boiling water and Bicarbonate of soda. Here's a photo comparing a sample. Cleaned (left) with uncleaned (right) there was some coins that seemed to have toned or stained and I couldn't seem to get them clean no matter how hard I tried.

20231105_101017.jpg

Still I think they look a lot better cleaned.

This will make them shiny I found. Put them in small tub or bowl of boiling water with *lots* of fairy liquid. Let them sit and just take them out one at a time and rub at them with your thumb. Repeat till shiny. This is not financial advice 🙂

Best of luck @mik