• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gazette Proclamation - One Penny Silver Coin

‘For the obverse impression Our effigy with the inscription “· CHARLES III · DEI · GRA · REX · FID · DEF ·” 

and for the reverse a depiction of a portcullis with chains royally crowned, being the badge of King Henry VII and His successors, accompanied by the inscription “ONE PENNY” and the date of the year.

The coin shall have a plain edge.’

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/notice/4456070

——-

This coin is essentially the silver penny that the RM has revived since a couple years now.

image.thumb.jpeg.97d21b8855d5b3a5f81956e7214ded74.jpeg

24 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

The one you've pictured is unique so far (as far as I can tell!) in that it has a privy mark denoting it was made from recycled silver.

Ah yes. You’re right. I think I remember that last year they made these from recycled metals, and advertised them as such. 

Just now, westminstrel said:

Ah yes. You’re right. I think I remember that last year they made these from recycled metals, and advertised them as such. 

I hope the new one is privy-free, otherwise it's gonna feel like they've jumped the shark on privy marks this past year!

54 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

I hope the new one is privy-free, otherwise it's gonna feel like they've jumped the shark on privy marks this past year!

Did the RM do many privy marks this year? I didn’t pay attention.

(IMO they should have used this crown privy on the Coronation bullion Sovereigns to preserve the uniqueness of the proof.)

I assume the KCIII 75th Birthday SotD Sovereign will have a privy too.

4 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

Did the RM do many privy marks this year? I didn’t pay attention.

(IMO they should have used this crown privy on the Coronation bullion Sovereigns to preserve the uniqueness of the proof.)

I assume the KCIII 75th Birthday SotD Sovereign will have a privy too.

Did yesterday pass you by? :D

There were also privies on all of the memorial coins at the end of last year and on a few other 50p, 20p and £2 coins.

21 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

Did yesterday pass you by? :D

There were also privies on all of the memorial coins at the end of last year and on a few other 50p, 20p and £2 coins.

I honestly didn’t pay a great deal of attention to many of the commemorative coins because I don’t usually collect them, so something like this would not remain in my memory even if I had got a passing glance at it.

I found this though 26/22…

image.jpeg.a65086c887cd46429f95f13681dcfbb4.jpeg

I don’t recall privies on any of the memorial coins, but I also didn’t care for any of them, except the Memorial Sovereign. 😅

Edited by westminstrel

15 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

I honestly didn’t pay a great deal of attention to many of the commemorative coins because I don’t usually collect them, so something like this would not remain in my memory even if I had got a passing glance at it.

I found this though 26/22…

image.jpeg.a65086c887cd46429f95f13681dcfbb4.jpeg

I don’t recall privies on any of the memorial coins, but I also didn’t care for any of them, except the Memorial Sovereign. 😅

The 26/22 privy mark was on all of the definitive coins (1p - £2) in this set https://www.royalmint.com/shop/monarch/queen-elizabeth-ii/her-majesty-queen-elizabeth-ii-memorial-coin-collection/memorial-sets/her-majesty-queen-elizabeth-II-2022-uk-brillaint-uncirculated-memorial-coin-set/

Also a privy on this one https://www.royalmint.com/shop/limited-editions/celebrating-25-years-of-the-2-pound-coin/celebrating-25-years-of-the-2-pound-2022-2-brilliant-uncirculated-coin/

Also one on the 20p in this set that only had a mintage of 2,022 https://www.royalmint.com/shop/coin-sets/40-Years-of-the-UK-20p-Effigies-Set/

And a random sleeper coin, this one has a star privy mark https://www.royalmint.com/the-tooth-fairy/tooth-fairy-my-lost-tooth-celebration-set/

And those are just the BUNC ones I can remember! :) 

4 hours ago, paulmerton said:

Okay I missed a lot of these, and yes, some are just questionable and makes you wonder why they bothered at all. (Star privy on tooth fairy coin?) 🫤 Diminishes the point of a privy because there’s a grey area where something like this just becomes part of the design.

On 13/10/2023 at 21:10, Sc391 said:

Pardon the ignorance of a U.S. member, but what is the significance of a silver penny?  Is it a keepsake for babies and new brides?  Tooth fairy?

As a UK member, I could ask the same question to be fair.

On 13/10/2023 at 21:10, Sc391 said:

Pardon the ignorance of a U.S. member, but what is the significance of a silver penny?  Is it a keepsake for babies and new brides?  Tooth fairy?

Giving a baby silver is supposed to wish them luck in the future.

https://www.royalmint.com/stories/gift/crossing-a-babys-palm-with-silver/#:~:text=It was believed that%2C should,restricted to the immediate family.

18 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

I do… it wasn’t that long ago, and they were priced pretty steeply (so probably produced as gifts from the rich ones to the rich ones). 

I miss these random things.... last year seemed to put a stop to those sort of releases, plus the usual sales and freebies towards Christmas. Hopefully things will be back to normal again this year.

15 hours ago, paulmerton said:

I miss these random things.... last year seemed to put a stop to those sort of releases, plus the usual sales and freebies towards Christmas. Hopefully things will be back to normal again this year.

Honestly, if I had the $$$, I’d buy these sorts of products. 🙈 I like random shiny trinkets.

Yeah, the RM used to have some nice year-end sales around Black Friday if I remember correctly. The should bring this back.

By the way, some of the Christmas trinkets from prior years are still available if you search the site.

I saw some member selling hand made medieval pouches the other day. Imagine a pouch full of these!

Or better, a pouch full of gold sovereigns, but only the bullion ones...

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

1 hour ago, westminstrel said:

And last year’s Gothic Crown decoration:

https://www.royalmint.com/gifts/by-occasion/christmas/gothic-2023-tree-decoration-in-gold-plated-silver/

I recall they also had this in (I think) silver-plated nickel.

I wonder if these are just an excuse to re-cycle the dies or rescue QA rejects.  The editions of 100 seem kind of silly small for something you're expected to hang on a christmas tree.

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

3 minutes ago, Silverlocks said:

I wonder if these are just an excuse to re-cycle the dies or rescue QA rejects.  The editions of 100 seem kind of silly small for something you're expected to hang on a christmas tree.

Now they gold-plated them they will probably be free from milk spots at least

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

8 minutes ago, Zhorro said:

Anyone know what "sustainable X-Ray silver" is???

It's silver recovered from old x-ray film where the images are digitised and the film is then thrown away.

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.